Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

“Black Box” Ride for DCA

How is this something they can even patent? It’s the physical equivalent of Muppetvision resetting the projections on the wall as one group is leaving and the next group is filing in. And aren’t there arrows and whatnot that retract back into the walls? Been awhile since I’ve seen it.
There must be some very specific way in the fine print of the patent. Also this effect being done on the actual physical ride vehicles does sound like a first and Disney wants to make sure only they get to have it that way.

Can someone explain to me what a "Black Box" ride is? I'm too lazy to look at the beginning of the forum lmao

“Black Box” Interchangeable "Flex Ride" in Development for 2022 Opening at Disney California Adventure, Disney's Hollywood Studios - WDW News Today

WDW Magic is saying a “black box” Ride could be happening at DCA in 2022. It would basically be a ride with a clean slate. Blank screens and canvass for the entire ride. The point of this is so it can be a projected ride (ala MMRR) but it can be switched to a different theme/IP almost overnight. I think this sounds cool! Thoughts?
first post of the thread and Scott voicing some of the major concerns I have in the second post. time is a flat circle etc etc.
I like the idea and it has huge potential to stay relevant instead of the several years it needs for an IP to prove itself before heading into the parks.

My two concerns are that, we've been told for decades about rides that can easily be updated and they never are and the experience will never be as good as a dedicated ride system.