Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2 parks 1 Day - low/moderate crowd day

Feb 6, 2020
Hey,

I’ve been planning a trip to universal studios Orlando in a few months (May 1st) and using a range of crowd predictors etc, and my daughters (8) preferred ride list, it seems with a bit of luck I can box off the studios by late lunch - anticipated crowds of 4-5/10.

I was then thinking of nipping over to the Islands on the Hogwarts express and doing that part of the Harry Potter land. Maybe swerving the Hagrid ride as I don’t fancy a 2.5 hours que but doing the other Harry Potter rides.

Anyone have experience with this - is it possible to fit it in? Not going to be doing most of the adrenaline rides at Islands this time.

Thanks!

Hi Anthony,

It's possible to visit both parks and do a lot of rides in one day. Are you staying on site or off site? If you're staying on site you will get one hour early entry in USF which will let you hit several of the biggest attractions before the park opens.

Checking the park hours it looks like the park is closing early for an event, 6pm. So you will need to get there before open and into the park to ride the rides you want to. Hopping over to IOA will work especially to ride FJ.

IMHO Hagrid is TOTALLY worth the wait and is an absolute must do attraction.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Joe! We are at Disney for the duration so wanting to get a day in over at Universal. I've signed up to touringplans and they are predicting a 3/10 crowd day with us having finished all of the main attractions at Universal Studios by 1:30 so maybe I will have some time for that long que afterall!

Thanks Joe! We are at Disney for the duration so wanting to get a day in over at Universal. I've signed up to touringplans and they are predicting a 3/10 crowd day with us having finished all of the main attractions at Universal Studios by 1:30 so maybe I will have some time for that long que afterall!

If the waits are anything like recently you shouldn’t have to wait more than an hour.

You should be able to get most things done, yes. To guarantee that, you'd need to purchase the express pass. It works for all rides minus Hagrid's. Gringotts however you miss most of the queue I believe, and thats worth it. If it is indeed low crowds that day than Express might make you a walk on for some rides. Usually isn't insanely busy that time of year as its in between the rest of the countries school breaks, and Florida schools haven't left for summer just yet. Great time to visit the parks! Just another option, although admittedly a costly one. If you're planning on doing just Potter than you should be all set as you can very likely get most of, if not the entire Potter experience done in 1 day.

You should be able to get most things done, yes. To guarantee that, you'd need to purchase the express pass. It works for all rides minus Hagrid's. Gringotts however you miss most of the queue I believe, and thats worth it. If it is indeed low crowds that day than Express might make you a walk on for some rides. Usually isn't insanely busy that time of year as its in between the rest of the countries school breaks, and Florida schools haven't left for summer just yet. Great time to visit the parks! Just another option, although admittedly a costly one. If you're planning on doing just Potter than you should be all set as you can very likely get most of, if not the entire Potter experience done in 1 day.

Express Pass for Gringotts doesn't bypass much at all. You still go through lobby, vaults, elevator, etc..

Hi! I am coming from NJ in May. We are staying at a Disney resort from May 16-20 (Saturday-Weds) planning for one day at Universal to park hop and 4 days at Disney. Universal is my all my time favorite and I want to get done as much as possible. I was supposed to go a few weeks ago (Feb 1st-5th) but came down with the flu and I am bummed because I know the crowds would have been different in Feb than when I am going in May.

Question 1: We are planning to go to Universal/IOA with a park hopper on the 19th (Tuesday of that week), my question is: on the Orlando Informer crowd calendar, it shows Sunday being slower crowds and Tuesday being moderate crowds. I am curious why this is? Or if anyone disagrees? This time frame is right before Memorial Day Weekend, however, in my research, I found that most Florida schools don't get out until the Friday after I leave to go home to NJ (May 22nd). Will there be school trips on that Tuesday? Is that why it says moderate? That is late in May, so I imagined field trips would be over? What is your predictions on crowds for that time frame, especially the 19th that I plan to go to Universal/IOA?

Question 2: Additionally, I did not want to spend the extra money on Express Pass if I didn't have to, but what are people's thoughts if I want to do most attractions (rides) in both parks. I will be able to single ride Rip Ride Rockit because my boyfriend is a chicken, and we may skip things like Fast and Furious & Seuss, but for the most part, I want to do most things. Is it doable without Express Pass during this time as I plan to spend the entire day from open-close at the park (9AM-9PM)?

Thanks so much!!!

Hi! I am coming from NJ in May. We are staying at a Disney resort from May 16-20 (Saturday-Weds) planning for one day at Universal to park hop and 4 days at Disney. Universal is my all my time favorite and I want to get done as much as possible. I was supposed to go a few weeks ago (Feb 1st-5th) but came down with the flu and I am bummed because I know the crowds would have been different in Feb than when I am going in May.

Question 1: We are planning to go to Universal/IOA with a park hopper on the 19th (Tuesday of that week), my question is: on the Orlando Informer crowd calendar, it shows Sunday being slower crowds and Tuesday being moderate crowds. I am curious why this is? Or if anyone disagrees? This time frame is right before Memorial Day Weekend, however, in my research, I found that most Florida schools don't get out until the Friday after I leave to go home to NJ (May 22nd). Will there be school trips on that Tuesday? Is that why it says moderate? That is late in May, so I imagined field trips would be over? What is your predictions on crowds for that time frame, especially the 19th that I plan to go to Universal/IOA?

Question 2: Additionally, I did not want to spend the extra money on Express Pass if I didn't have to, but what are people's thoughts if I want to do most attractions (rides) in both parks. I will be able to single ride Rip Ride Rockit because my boyfriend is a chicken, and we may skip things like Fast and Furious & Seuss, but for the most part, I want to do most things. Is it doable without Express Pass during this time as I plan to spend the entire day from open-close at the park (9AM-9PM)?

Thanks so much!!!
Hi! There will be some school trips in May. Last year my 5th grader had their graduation field trip on the 24th. I know her friend at a different school went earler in the week. Yes, I can get through both parks and many times we use single rider bc we don't have to sit next to each other on a ride since we've been to the park many times. Although some of the Universal hotels give u fast pass with a stay like Portofino.

Hi! There will be some school trips in May. Last year my 5th grader had their graduation field trip on the 24th. I know her friend at a different school went earler in the week. Yes, I can get through both parks and many times we use single rider bc we don't have to sit next to each other on a ride since we've been to the park many times. Although some of the Universal hotels give u fast pass with a stay like Portofino.

Thank you for your response!! How many students did you daughter travel to the park with in her grade? Do you know where I can find a list of the trips in May? or what the school district's names are that go on the trips lol!! I want to see if I can research their schedule! I'm wondering how much of an impact the trips will make on crowds and if I should avoid those days.

Thank you!!

Thank you for your response!! How many students did you daughter travel to the park with in her grade? Do you know where I can find a list of the trips in May? or what the school district's names are that go on the trips lol!! I want to see if I can research their schedule! I'm wondering how much of an impact the trips will make on crowds and if I should avoid those days.

Thank you!!
Her school was small so only 140 5th graders. She said other schools were there. But they left the park at 6 to get back home. We had to pay for her trip by March. This year their end of year trip is Seaworld. I wonder if you email UO customer service they could tell you about which days were light last year?

Her school was small so only 140 5th graders. She said other schools were there. But they left the park at 6 to get back home. We had to pay for her trip by March. This year their end of year trip is Seaworld. I wonder if you email UO customer service they could tell you about which days were light last year?

Good idea. Thanks so much for your help!

We visit every year during the last week of May and mostly stay at CBBR (so no Express Pass). Crowds are fine for every day except Memorial Day. It is not when you tour, but how you tour. Rope drop HP rides and DMMM, use the app for wait times after that, take a break for the hotel pool from noon to 4:00, eat lunch and dinner before noon and 5:00, and you'll be avoiding crowds. And often one step in front of them - seeing big waits as you leave the restaurant after an early dinner, for example.
Hagrid's is an odd exception - try that when you get back to the parks after your break (although I love rope-dropping and being first).

We visit every year during the last week of May and mostly stay at CBBR (so no Express Pass). Crowds are fine for every day except Memorial Day. It is not when you tour, but how you tour. Rope drop HP rides and DMMM, use the app for wait times after that, take a break for the hotel pool from noon to 4:00, eat lunch and dinner before noon and 5:00, and you'll be avoiding crowds. And often one step in front of them - seeing big waits as you leave the restaurant after an early dinner, for example.
Hagrid's is an odd exception - try that when you get back to the parks after your break (although I love rope-dropping and being first).

Thanks so much for the useful info!!!! Appreciate it!

Thanks so much for the useful info!!!! Appreciate it!
Personally, I don't usually attend theme parks in March(spring break), May-August bc of heat and crowds. Staying away from Memorial would be smart. Also there are apps and sites out there to monitor wait times for rides to give u an idea how the park is trending. I frequently check Hagrid's ride. Hoping to ride that one in April :)

Last edited:
Personally, I don't usually attend theme parks in March(spring break), May-August bc of heat and crowds. Staying away from Memorial would be smart. Also there are apps and sites out there to monitor wait times for rides to give u an idea how the park is trending. I frequently check Hagrid's ride. Hopeing to ride that one in April :)

I will be there the week before Memorial Day Weekend starts. Hope that's far away from Memorial Day weekend enough!!