2012 Theme Park Attendance! USH up 15% | Inside Universal Forums

2012 Theme Park Attendance! USH up 15%

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm surprised how closely we match Islands of Adventure. It's amazing when you think of how much land this theme park is situated on compared to its peers.

All Universal Parks (for those to lazy to look them up). 

Universal Studios Japan - 9.700m 
Universal's Islands of Adventure - 7.981m

Universal Studios Florida - 6.195m

Universal Studios Hollywood - 5.912m

Universal Studios Singapore - 3.480m

Every park had an Attendance increase. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon , on 04 Jun 2013 - 5:51 PM, said:

I'm surprised how closely we match Islands of Adventure. It's amazing when you think of how much land this theme park is situated on compared to its peers.
Oops! Misspoke. Actually meant Universal Studios Florida.Surprised to see Singapore receive an increase. I've always been under the impression that they were struggling with attendance reports.

I'm shocked that USJ had the most attendance. Maybe because USH and UOR didn't get rid of the classics. :)

Reactions: steve
No, that's not why ;) USJ, Japan, and Asia in general have a very large tourism following, especially Japan. Also many loyal fans. That's why the Japanese Disney and Universal parks are so high up on the attendance count. That, and they have an amazing quality product.

Interesting though that at USJ it's mostly all classic attractions from USF and USH and yet it's still so popular...

Proud of USH though! It's only gonna go up from here!

No, that's not why ;) USJ, Japan, and Asia in general have a very large tourism following, especially Japan. Also many loyal fans. That's why the Japanese Disney and Universal parks are so high up on the attendance count. That, and they have an amazing quality product.
Allen's right. Universal Studios Japan has had consistently higher numbers than its U.S. counterparts for a number of years now.

I expect USF to go way up with the additions of Simpsons, Transformers, and Potter. Hopefully we'll still bump up a spot or two with the minions added to our list...!

Still can't get over some of these numbers.  Its amazing how close USH attendance gets to USF.  But I can imagine USF will see a boost in 2014.  USH will see a boost with DM, but probably not as much as when Potter opens.  Disney is just too far away to catch, although DCA is catching up!

Disneyland in CA saw a drop only because DCA has such an increase.  No major hit there.

Poor Knotts!  Ouch!

Sure USF/IOA has a lot to offer but their numbers are so high because of their proximity to WDW. USH does not have the same advantage. But USH does have the advantage of being located in a major metropolis. USJ also has that advantage - it's the second largest metro area in Japan -something like 19 million. And I may be wrong but I do not think there is a lot of competition in that area. Isn't USJ is a larger theme park (sans the movie studio) than USH? I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are probably various factors that contribute to the numbers of each park.

I think Hollywood gets enough runoff from Disneyland Resort that the Universal Orlando Resort/Walk Disney World difference isn't as germane as we think it is. Disney is the only multi-day resort in Southern California and I still think most people view Six Flags/Universal/SeaWorld as one day parks.

^ I doubt that. I think getting Potter done alone will be an incredible feat.

I'm not saying Universal will become a two-day park, but I am implying that if Hollywood receives a fraction of what Florida received, well, we're in for quite a ride.

Reactions: BehindTheTheme
Alright well we'll see then haha. I know it'll be super busy and packed but I still think if you do the park from opening until (I'm guessing extended) closing, you'll be able to do everything.

Isn't USJ is a larger theme park (sans the movie studio) than USH? 
Yes, USJ layout is 90% identical to USF with some additions here an there which makes it larger.  USJ is the largest single Universal park in existence which will only get bigger when Potter opens for them as Potter is taking over a parking lot and not demolishing any attractions for the addition.  (This guy is jealous)

USS is almost as small as USH.

I'm very jealous when either Florida or Japan simply add a ride and not replace like we do ;) Although Japan is guilty of closing down ET ADVENTURE and putting in the Space Fantasy ride...which, in their defense, seems like a very fun and very high quality ride! How the hell did they get such an awesome coaster as their ET replacement in the same footprint as where we got a 90 second Mummy crapfest?!

Anyway, USJ certainly looks amazing right now! Although even with their size, I think they should add more attractions very soon after Potter. Back To The Future will unfortunately probably be the next to go...2015 is coming up soon and afterwards all of the ride's destinations will be into the past. I guess they can just rename it as Back To The Past: The Ride ;)

As for USS being almost as small as USH, that's so hard to believe with its attraction lineup (both quantity and size) and grand themed areas. I guess it's simply because they're on flat land and have more usable land, where as we're on two separate levels, on a hill, and with the studio and neighbors breathing down our necks.