Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2016 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party

Based on info here :) I booked my first fast passes based on MNNSHP tickets. My big goal was to get passes for the two rides I often skip due to lines, Peter Pan and SDMT. Booking a week out there were no SDMT passes available. Only a couple of times were available for Pan. I got the earlier of the two at 4:55. That meant one pass before that. There were no other passes available after 5:15, so I settled for the two.

Since lines are not a big deal at the party I am fine with only the two. I hate to book the party more since I like to take weather into account. At least it is not 100% chance next Tuesday.

Thanks for all the info! :thumbsup:

Based on info here :) I booked my first fast passes based on MNNSHP tickets. My big goal was to get passes for the two rides I often skip due to lines, Peter Pan and SDMT. Booking a week out there were no SDMT passes available. Only a couple of times were available for Pan. I got the earlier of the two at 4:55. That meant one pass before that. There were no other passes available after 5:15, so I settled for the two.

Since lines are not a big deal at the party I am fine with only the two. I hate to book the party more since I like to take weather into account. At least it is not 100% chance next Tuesday.

Thanks for all the info! :thumbsup:

Keep trying for SDMT, they sometimes pop up. We did a same day trip to MK the one time and I managed to get SDMT on the way to the park (husband was driving).

M&Ms, Skittles, Snickers, Three Musketeers, Starburst, Milky Way, Dove chocolates, etc.
That does beat the candy from previous years. :)

candy.png

Just a generic pic.

I hit up the first MNSSHP on Friday and I'm actually a huge fan of the event and I've been a few times but I was slightly disappointed at the some of the cutbacks this year from years past (I skipped last year).

There used to be entertainment in Diamond Horseshoe with villains dancing around with guests that I didn't see was moved anywhere. There used to be more entertainment in Frontierland.. close to Pecos Bill with lights and a DJ.. that wasn't there this year.

I seem to have missed the ghost in Haunted Mansion that sits outside and talks to guests. I don't know how I missed her as I never have before if she was there but.. her chair wasn't there.. neither was any of the enhanced lighting or fog. In fact, the whole outside of HM was super lackluster this year.

Also, this was my first time catching the Boo To You parade in front of the castle so that I could get a spot for Hocus Pocus immediately after. But the lighting was unusually bright? They had all the lights around going and it really killed the atmosphere. If I go again, I'll continue to watch it from Frontierland as I have in the past.

Otherwise, there were lots of examples where the lighting, music, projections, etc. in certain sections of the park just weren't up to snuff.

As for the positives, the candy was legit this year.. lmao.. and, as a huge Hocus Pocus fan, the Hocus Pocus show was almost worth the price of admission for me. It was also fun to get on most rides with minimal waits.

But for others who are more casual visitors and have already hit the attractions plenty, I could see this event starting to border on "don't waste your money" territory.

Looks like the ghost in front of the HM is back.

Looks like the ghost in front of the HM is back.

They must've gotten my letter. :lol: No, really I did write them.

They called me and said that it was the HM refurbishments that were still going on was why there was no ghost out there. Also the Diamond Horseshoe became a full service restaurant.. don't even know when... so they pulled the party there.

Basically a bunch of BS but it was nice for them to call I guess and tell them directly that with all the cutbacks, it's not that different from a regular night at MK and totally losing it's value. You're welcome for the feedback, Disney!

They must've gotten my letter. :lol: No, really I did write them.

They called me and said that it was the HM refurbishments that were still going on was why there was no ghost out there. Also the Diamond Horseshoe became a full service restaurant.. don't even know when... so they pulled the party there.

Basically a bunch of BS but it was nice for them to call I guess and tell them directly that with all the cutbacks, it's not that different from a regular night at MK and totally losing it's value. You're welcome for the feedback, Disney!
Wonder when WDW Execs will start to realize it was all those little extras, that they've been cutting, that made WDW someplace special.

Yeah book them at the following times

3:30 to 4:30
4:30 to 5:30
6:30 to 7:00

It should allow that.
They aren't letting you book any fast passes past 5:30, so I only was able to do two. I booked Jungle Cruise since it won't be open once the party starts and Peter Pan since that's always a long line. Wasn't anything open for SDMT. :(

We did the party on Tuesday. We had two FP+ early on that went well. Didn't really need them but it was good practice on the updated system. Rain hit at 7pm and went til around 10. All the later events went off as scheduled.

We got to the gate at 3:55 and many party guests were already inside. Next time we will arrive around 3:30.

The candy was better, but the stations were worse. It used to be some lines had multiple stops. Now it seems like all lines had one stop. Multiple barrels were just for making the lines move faster. People were in long lines early for candy. Lines are gone near the end. Save getting candy for the last hour. Looks like the Alice side trail is no longer used for candy. Rain makes candy more fun. They move it indoors so we got to walk through places like Stitch and the Tiki room and see what they are like when the attractions are not running.

When you first go in the park you are encouraged to take the side path to the right for a special surprise. It is a package of full sized candies. Make sure you go that way. Never been that way before. There are a series of character statues there.

There are less events than before, but I never went to the kids dance parties. The one in Tomorrowland is still there.
The inflatables on top of the buildings seem to be permanently gone.

The fireworks off to the sides looked like small ones til the end. It made the finale much less impressive. More cutbacks. Sigh.

The last Hocus Posts show was at midnight. Good way to stretch out the time at the event and a perfect way to end the event.

By the end of the night lines were near nonexistent. Took only 10-15 minutes for SDMT. Peter Pan was a walk on. They still used the new extended line through the kids bedrooms. Never seen it before so that was a nice extra.

Actually had cast members ask to take pics with me in my Walter White costume.

Thanks for all the info and recommendations!
I booked the October 7th party yesterday and went online to setup FP+.
Only ride I could get that normally has a decent wait time was Jungle Cruise, but based on your info I should have no trouble getting on Pan or SDMT later in the evening.

Goaded into going by out-of-town friends last night. Even tho it was a sell-out, I think it still very much served their purposes--an enjoyable single "day" in MK at a 30% discount with free candy.

Entry is a cluster. Moving security to TTC will help tremendously, but at the moment metal detectors create a chokepoint that drives everyone into a big mess.

Lines were never that bad, and were non-existent by night's end. Even HM, when posted 25, we never stopped walking until Good Ol' Fred's tombstone. See kids, that's how rides worked before Fastpass. Why Fastpass is evil.

After splitting 8 year-olds from 4-year-old, managed to hit 3 princesses, Dumbo, Mermaid, Barnstormer, Pirates, IaSW and still have plenty of time for rest/random play. It was that rarest of things, a relaxing time in MK. 8 y.o.s had similar luck with Splash and even 7D.

Fireworks were still impressive, even from behind castle--my friend's non-Disney mother, who pissed and moaned about everything else, raved for 10 minutes how they were the best she'd ever seen. The parade felt tired. Horseman so removed he should probably be his own thing. Still love the grave diggers, but feel the loss of the cowboys, and two WIR floats feels like overkill. And the Fall barn dance is just a head scratcher, that's the best idea on the table? Wasn't impressed with Hocus Pocus first time, so didn't push to see last night.

Selection of candy was good, most helpers were generous. Lack of double barrels on each station a bit of a letdown but we still left with more than a lot. After initial 7 pm rush, lines never seemed terribly long--when they did, we just skipped, next would be fine.

So I'm back to recommending MNSSHP for non-APs. Cheaper, less crowded night with free candy. For APs, it would take at least three more HM-like overlays and a refreshed parade to recommend (or tickets < $50). As is, money better spent on drinks and dessert at Top of the World or Cali Grill to see Hallowishes there.