Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2nd USH Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember too everyone, NBC/Universal has the rights to the Olympics and renewed them I believe through 2030 or so. Having their main tv base be from their parks is simple advertising that will be done on a global scale. Opening up a 2nd theme park around it? Even better! Smart thinking on Universal's end. I said it in another thread, but the future of Universal and their theme parks is just so bright with so many further options. Its really exciting honestly. Feels like endless possibilities sometimes and as a fan its just awesome.

I still think it's directly related to the 2024 Summer Olympics going to Paris instead of Los Angeles. Universal has worked and continues to work very closely with the city of Los Angeles when it comes to tourism. As part of their bid, the Universal Studios Lot would host the International Broadcast Center as well, a huge get for Universal. SNW was likely planned to open some time in 2023 or early 2024, occupying the area just north-east of the Lower Lot, taking over the soundstages between The Mummy and Transformers. This would have been a huge, Potter-level grand opening just before one of the largest tourism events Los Angeles has seen in 50 years. When the 2028 Olympics were granted to Los Angeles instead, it shifted the time line. Still want to do Pets, still want to do SNW, but it might be better to save the huge space originally assigned to SNW for something else that can be opened closer to the Olympics. So Pets gets shuffled to the Upper Lot, SNW gets crammed into the former Pets space, and the sound stages remain standing. For now.
Well at least by 2028 the theme park will be more on par with DCA. I'd love to have seen it sooner but at least the Olymics gives us hope we get more attractions then we would have without a the Olympics coming to LA

USH is starting to expand wider than it ever has before, but is that necessarily a good thing? Even if the general public doesn't care, USH is not like the other Universal parks. It was never meant to be a multi-day vacation resort, but a behind-the-scenes look into moviemaking and film history. The theme park just gradually appeared over time. But in just ten years, USH's annual attendance has skyrocketed so much that they have no choice but to keep expanding, and much of their history is being lost as a result (Soundstage 28). The IU editorial from November suggests that USH needs a second theme park and its own hotels to become a multi-day destination for tourists, but how much film history will have to be sacrificed for this to happen? Is there anything wrong with being a single-day park? Can USH not survive as a single-day park?

As Legacy has said--there has been multiple times to where Universal as of this past decade, has opted to trade nostalgia, for money.

The Red Sea Soundstages, Soundstage's 22-25, Soundstage 28. And that's not even considering all the stuff that they changed on the Upper Lot to accommodate Potter. History won't be completely lost--as they will have archives and documentations, of these buildings, these places, of existing.

Evolution, is Universal. And in Universal's case--Evolving the movie studio and the entertainment properties, to expand and change, is something to keep a watch of.

I’d like to just chime in here. Yes, as a filmmaker and cinephile it is very sad to see some of the studio’s history go for advancement and more park space (as a parks fanatic tho, I’m a little excited haha.)

But, to be fair, almost all the historic sets on the lot are not the originals. The buildings in Six Points Texas are not the ones Audie Murphy, Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne strolled through. Those sets rotted away and fell apart, some burned in fires. A film studio is about catering to productions, not preserving history, as unfortunate as that is. Even Little Europe burned down and had to be rebuilt. Most of those sets were not completed buildings like we see today. They were bare minimum facades built for a few dozen films that they made over a decade. They were turned into permanent structures that would be able to handle the elements and the passage of time to serve two functions: to have a permanent variety of standing sets to attract an array of different productions, and to satisfy tourists on the tram who want to see those sets for themselves. Stage 28 wasn’t even the original stage. The phantom stage was completely rebuilt, I can’t remember when, but it’s not the same stage Lon Chaney Sr. worked in. The sets were refurbished and those still live on in history just not apart of the lot. I said this in another thread, that as historic as those stages are, they are not great for modern filmmaking. And really, when it gets down to it... why keep the four walls of a soundstage because so many films were made in there, when the lot itself is where the history lives and new history will be made. And if USH is able to take advantage of it and expand their footprint, while the studio updates to become the industry leading state of the art lot it deserves to be... then I’m all for it. The problem is competition: universal was able to stay a “historic” lot for years, but with many new boutique studios popping up all around Los Angeles County, they are pulling huge productions away from Universal. Most of the new Marvel movies, the Mandolorian, and the Avatar sequels were all shot at Manhattan Beach studios, one of the most state of the art facilities I’ve had the opportunity to be in. And universals new stages are almost an exact copy of the ones that exist at MBS.

History and nostalgia speak to our hearts, but the business side of things speaks to our (and more importantly executives’) brains, so it’s safe to say there will be some major changes happening at all the old “big five” studios. The word bittersweet comes to mind.

Now, with that being said, I’ve always dreamed of USH getting a hotel and a second gate, but honestly is there really any logical place to put a whole new park at their current site? I just don’t see where it could be feasible. Unless the Lower Lot is swallowed up into the second gate, the upper lot is expanded as the studio park... but even then that’s seems like the wrong move. If anybody knows the space and can show me on a map, id love that

I’d like to just chime in here. Yes, as a filmmaker and cinephile it is very sad to see some of the studio’s history go for advancement and more park space (as a parks fanatic tho, I’m a little excited haha.)

But, to be fair, almost all the historic sets on the lot are not the originals. The buildings in Six Points Texas are not the ones Audie Murphy, Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne strolled through. Those sets rotted away and fell apart, some burned in fires. A film studio is about catering to productions, not preserving history, as unfortunate as that is. Even Little Europe burned down and had to be rebuilt. Most of those sets were not completed buildings like we see today. They were bare minimum facades built for a few dozen films that they made over a decade. They were turned into permanent structures that would be able to handle the elements and the passage of time to serve two functions: to have a permanent variety of standing sets to attract an array of different productions, and to satisfy tourists on the tram who want to see those sets for themselves. Stage 28 wasn’t even the original stage. The phantom stage was completely rebuilt, I can’t remember when, but it’s not the same stage Lon Chaney Sr. worked in. The sets were refurbished and those still live on in history just not apart of the lot. I said this in another thread, that as historic as those stages are, they are not great for modern filmmaking. And really, when it gets down to it... why keep the four walls of a soundstage because so many films were made in there, when the lot itself is where the history lives and new history will be made. And if USH is able to take advantage of it and expand their footprint, while the studio updates to become the industry leading state of the art lot it deserves to be... then I’m all for it. The problem is competition: universal was able to stay a “historic” lot for years, but with many new boutique studios popping up all around Los Angeles County, they are pulling huge productions away from Universal. Most of the new Marvel movies, the Mandolorian, and the Avatar sequels were all shot at Manhattan Beach studios, one of the most state of the art facilities I’ve had the opportunity to be in. And universals new stages are almost an exact copy of the ones that exist at MBS.

History and nostalgia speak to our hearts, but the business side of things speaks to our (and more importantly executives’) brains, so it’s safe to say there will be some major changes happening at all the old “big five” studios. The word bittersweet comes to mind.

Now, with that being said, I’ve always dreamed of USH getting a hotel and a second gate, but honestly is there really any logical place to put a whole new park at their current site? I just don’t see where it could be feasible. Unless the Lower Lot is swallowed up into the second gate, the upper lot is expanded as the studio park... but even then that’s seems like the wrong move. If anybody knows the space and can show me on a map, id love that

One of the strongest locations of speculation--lies more to it containing part's of the mountainside facing the Backlot proper, the Falls Lake Sets, Whoville, the replica Bates Motel/House, and the War of The World Sets. Alongside other unused land next to that (such as the plot that housed The lost World Sets).

Think more similar to how Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, are budded up against eachother in a sense.

Im curious, they are building an on-site hotel, (project 515) when the park isn’t even a fully day park? Does this mean something BIG is underway?

Last edited:
Im curious, they are building an on-site hotel, (project 511) when the park isn’t even a fully day park? Does this mean something BIG is underway?

With a collection of attractions like Mario Kart, Hollywood Drift, Forbidden Journey, Jurassic World, Studio Tour, WaterWorld and many others, P515 is essentially going to make USH a full on day park.

It’s also going to help for other times outside of peak season periods.

The only reason USH would be a full day is lines.

If you get there when the park opens or use early entry the entire park can be done before 3 PM

Until after 10 AM many rides are basically walk on's because everyone is trying to get into SNW, and they have only two shows.

I'm going with my aunt this November with Early Entry and we won't do everything but confident we will be able to ride/watch everything we want before noon.

I just went to Disneyland and with LL you can easily do everything you want in a day and USH has literally 1/4 the attractions.

I know it probably won't happen but I'm dying for Diagon Alley to come to USH. That combined with a SNW expansion would be absolutely amazing
We will get more Potter One day, which land it is thats the real question. I'm hoping we get ministry of magic area because it's going to have much newer tech

We will get more Potter One day, which land it is thats the real question. I'm hoping we get ministry of magic area because it's going to have much newer tech
I'm hoping that we get a mix of Diagon Alley + the MoM land at Epic, not both but a combination of those two lands into one land. Sorta how it originally was supposed to be at USF. Instead of EFG we should get the same MoM ride

Status
Not open for further replies.