4 More Magic Kingdom Restaurants to Serve Alcohol | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

4 More Magic Kingdom Restaurants to Serve Alcohol

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm on the fence.

This is a stake in the heart of the "but it's for children" nonsense and anything to vanquish that demon is appreciated.

But it goes back to fundamentals as well... MK was always a dry park. Epcot opened with alcohol and made a similar argument there as well (in restaurants, paired with food). So it's definitely a slippery slope.

I could see myself appreciating Tortuga Tavern actually being open and having some fruity rum drinks and being fun with some pirate-y atmosphere and a bar wench for good measure.

But I'm not sure that "goes" in the magic kingdom.
Walt was the one who fought his brother about having Club 33 in Disneyland, a place where he proudly served alcohol.

Walt had said at one point that the reason for not wanting alcohol in DL was to differentiate it from the traveling circus' that came through the area. He wanted to prove that they were different than the competition at the time.

I think it goes without saying that we are well beyond the point of them proving themselves.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Joel
Walt wouldn't build an indoor park in St. Louis like he wanted to because Augustus Busch insisted that if the city were to cooperate the park would have to serve beer.

Honest question, but do they have any system for counting drinks at the resort? Or do they just cut people off when it's clear they've had enough?

Honest question, but do they have any system for counting drinks at the resort? Or do they just cut people off when it's clear they've had enough?
I think they wait just a little past the point when it's clear they've had enough to cut them off. I've seen people nearly to the point of passing out, people who couldn't even walk and people who had no idea who or where they were.

Perfect use for magicbands.

I think if they make it exclusively just for select dining establishments with a strict limit to prevent drunk and outlandish behavior its good. Last thing MK needs is a lot of drunk people who later harass character actors because its bound to happen.

Perfect use for magicbands.

I think if they make it exclusively just for select dining establishments with a strict limit to prevent drunk and outlandish behavior its good. Last thing MK needs is a lot of drunk people who later harass character actors because its bound to happen.
Not everyone uses Magic Bands, even so they could just take them off or swap them out with other people. Not to mention for some people one or two drinks is all it takes, everyone has a different limit. I suspect Disney will employ the drinks are so expensive you can't get drunk method.

Disney does a pretty good job of getting people in and out of their restaurants. It would be pretty difficult (and expensive) to get drunk in Magic Kingdom.

Side note...this one time I was at Magic Kingdom I saw a couple just taking swigs off a bottle of Jack Daniels right out in the open. LOL...true alcoholics will always find away.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Joel
Disney does a pretty good job of getting people in and out of their restaurants. It would be pretty difficult (and expensive) to get drunk in Magic Kingdom.

Side note...this one time I was at Magic Kingdom I saw a couple just taking swigs off a bottle of Jack Daniels right out in the open. LOL...true alcoholics will always find away.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, but we brought two juice boxes of wine into the MK to watch Wishes one time. We weren't trying to get drunk, just a pair of winos that like a nice glass with a good show.

Reactions: Mad Dog
New MK Character "Meet, Greet & Be Merry":

Pirates of the Caribbean "Rummies"
Space Ranger Blasters "Get Blasted"
Aladdin "The Real Gin (Jin)"
"7 Dwarfs & Seven Shots of Vodka"
"Magic Shots of Pixie Dust"
"Ghosts, Ghouls and Grog"
"A Real Mickey"
"Pink Mickeys, Donalds, & Goofys"
"Belle Gets Rowdy & Really Really Friendly"

Reactions: Joel and s8film40
I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, but we brought two juice boxes of wine into the MK to watch Wishes one time. We weren't trying to get drunk, just a pair of winos that like a nice glass with a good show.

I'm not knocking drinkers...because I'm one of them...but bringing in a whole bottle of jack Daniel's and taking swigs of it is a little hardcore.

I've been known to chug a couple beers or two in the parking lot before entering....of course then I have to use the main street restroom immediately. lol.

Reactions: Joel and Quint
I'm on the fence.

This is a stake in the heart of the "but it's for children" nonsense and anything to vanquish that demon is appreciated.

But it goes back to fundamentals as well... MK was always a dry park. Epcot opened with alcohol and made a similar argument there as well (in restaurants, paired with food). So it's definitely a slippery slope.

I could see myself appreciating Tortuga Tavern actually being open and having some fruity rum drinks and being fun with some pirate-y atmosphere and a bar wench for good measure.

But I'm not sure that "goes" in the magic kingdom.

If you read the article, it's apparent this will be beer and wine only, and they may limit what types of beer and wine as well. I highly doubt we will see any high ABV stuff like you can get in Epcot...I'm looking at you Canada...

Reactions: Joel

I think they wait just a little past the point when it's clear they've had enough to cut them off. I've seen people nearly to the point of passing out, people who couldn't even walk and people who had no idea who or where they were.

To clarify the above, I'm a former Disney server and bartender and can confirm there is no 'counting' of drinks or official system like that. Anyone who serves alcohol is required to take classes on recognising the signs of intoxication and once a guest shows these early signs, you are, according to Disney standards supposed to cut them off. Too often, CMs wait too late to cut people off as they don't want to sacrifice their tip or deal with the verbal abuse.

Let's face it, bartenders are working for tips and if you aren't willing to serve them, they will find someone else at Epcot or wherever who will (and the refuser will lose their tip, if applicable). At least this can't happen at MK - people won't be able to buy drinks for the refused guests either. Personally, I will always cut someone off once that early line has been crossed as I've been that drunk person and witnessed poor behaviour from others with serious consequences - I cannot say the same for all Disney bartenders though! Totally down to individual morals.

In terms of alcohol, Magic Bands won't ever be used for anything other than the actual payment (unless something drastic changes). Everyone's 'level' is different and affected by alcohol differently - you need someone to subjectively assess each situation/guest. Similarly, you can't use Magic Bands as a form of ID as it would violate state drinking laws.

Last edited:
Count me as someone who'd prefer alcohol to stay out of the Magic Kingdom. I'm fine with it at the other WDW parks, but since the MK is essentially designed as a playground for the kiddies, I'd rather see it stay dry. Having said that, it's not something I'm terribly concerned about.

Reactions: SpyderDan