Advice for a UK fan please | Inside Universal Forums

Advice for a UK fan please

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 23, 2012
UK
Hi guys and gals,

Im a fan from the UK and have lurked around this site for a long time now, occasionally posting in the rumor threads.

Ive been travelling to Orlando with my daughter for years now, with daughter in school trips have always been in August, not this year. Daughter is busy this year so im biting the bullet and making a solo trip. I will be over for HHN, last week Sept first week Oct. This time of year will be new to me so if you dont mind i have a few questions for you all.

1. I usually book a 2/3 night stay at one of UOs hotels, mainly for express pass. Will I need it at this time of year? I also intend to utilize single rider. Any benefits for HHN if staying onsite?

2. I am planning to return the following April, would an Annual Pass be a better option? I usually get a 14 day pass. Am I right in thinking there are discounts on merch, food and HHN with AP?

3. If I did get AP can I purchase now and activate it at a later date?

4. HHNs, how does it work? Does the park close and re open, what are the the dates, times are there express options? Im really wet behind the ears with this so any advice would be great.

5. Do you ever have OU meets? be great go hook up with some fellow fans.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Express is really not needed during the HHNs season for daytime park goers.
They close the park to people who don't have a AP or day ticket to the park, then coral you in a holding area while they set up and then release you to go in to the houses.
Dates you can look at any past HHNs calander and it would be the basicly the same. The prices and options most likely will bee the same, but until they annouce them you can't really say for sure.
APs start when you use them the first time, I am 99% sure.

Meet ups... as it gets closer and people have finalized their schedules.

My $0.02...

1. I usually book a 2/3 night stay at one of UOs hotels, mainly for express pass. Will I need it at this time of year? I also intend to utilize single rider. Any benefits for HHN if staying onsite?

I went in August and stayed off site. Sept/Oct is a much quieter time frame, so there should be no issues for you. I was seeing 45 minute waits for most attractions. Single riders was a safe call for all attractions EXCEPT Rocket. Make sure to take advantage of the single riders at MiB.

I have not experienced HHN, nor stayed on site, so I do not know of any benefits besides getting into your bed quicker.

2. I am planning to return the following April, would an Annual Pass be a better option? I usually get a 14 day pass. Am I right in thinking there are discounts on merch, food and HHN with AP?

I think the AP break even point for UOR is around 5-6 visits? Someone correct me here. I know with Disney, combined with discounts, it is around the 10-12 day mark for the AP.

At Disney you can get a voucher and do so, not sure about Universal. I believe that's what Mr RJ did his last trip, but I'm not sure. Again I'll default to another poster.

Thanks for the replies, you are correct about Disney AP my voucher arrived by fed ex today. 400bucks for PAP with DVC discount was too good to miss.

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals,

Im a fan from the UK and have lurked around this site for a long time now, occasionally posting in the rumor threads.

Ive been travelling to Orlando with my daughter for years now, with daughter in school trips have always been in August, not this year. Daughter is busy this year so im biting the bullet and making a solo trip. I will be over for HHN, last week Sept first week Oct. This time of year will be new to me so if you dont mind i have a few questions for you all.

4. HHNs, how does it work? Does the park close and re open, what are the the dates, times are there express options? Im really wet behind the ears with this so any advice would be great.

5. Do you ever have OU meets? be great go hook up with some fellow fans.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello, mate! :)

OK, so for such a big trip, an AP is the way to go, for sure, no doubt about it. I know it's a tad bit more expensive for non-FL residents, but not by that much, and even at that price it's still totally worth it. Make sure to get a Preferred or Premier, which offer all the discounts. Do not get the Power Pass!

You'll be coming at a great time of the year, when the weather is nice, the crowds are fewer, and it's a low season, so that means hotels will be cheaper and it's HHN season! Even if your daughter can't come, I think you're still gonna be pretty happy with your trip :thumbs:

I'd get a Preferred AP, and then do the rest. Having an AP gives you discounts for the on-site hotels, saving you as much as $100 a night! Check it out, when you book a hotel, search the dates and see the prices. Then in the Code put APH and compare :thumbs: (Here's the booking site) Not to mention discounts on the HHN ticket, discounts on food and non-alcoholic drinks around the entire resort and that includes the restaurants in the hotels. You'll also have free parking in the Universal garages, so if you're ever renting a car that you will be parking in the main garage, you're saving like $15 each time ( I think it's $15? I haven't paid for parking in years, so I'm not sure :p ). If you're staying at a hotel, you'll still have to pay for parking, no way out of it. You can't leave a car in the main garages overnight. I'm not sure if you're even gonna rent a car, but those are some things to keep in mind.

Oh! And if you plan to come once a year, you can renew your AP for a lot less than you pay the first time! I think it's only around $170 when I renew my Preferred Pass. So worth it...

Ok, so to answer your questions more specifically:

1. At this time of the year, I don't think you'll need Express, but it's good to have. Now, the Unlimited Express you have with your hotel keycard is only available during the daytime, and not for HHN. But, if you're coming the first few weeks of the event, it's not needed as the crowds are not that bad on the first few weeks. I think I read somewhere that if you stay on-site, you can get into HHN an hour early, but having an AP you'll be able to sign up to get in early during the first weekends of the event, which is when you're planning to come, so it works out in your favor either way :thumbs:

2. The AP (Preferred or Premier) is the way to go! You get all the discounts with APs! I'd go Preferred. I don't think Premier is justified, even if it gives you a free HHN ticket, because Premier is $140 more expensive, and you can get a multi-day HHN pass for like $60-80 with your AP discount. (Here's the Non-FL Annual Pass page.)

3. If you get an AP, you can definitely activate it later. I've done this several times with friends. The 365 days that the pass will be valid begin the first time you go through the turnstiles at one of the parks. You might wanna check if you need to validate the pass within a certain time after purchase, though. I'm not too sure on this, and you don't wanna waste $259 or more, so I'd look into it.

4. For HHN, Universal closes at 5pm to prepare for the event, which starts at 6:30pm. If you have an AP you can get in early on certain days, if you sign up for it. You might also be able to get in early with your Uni hotel key card, but you'd need to ask the hotel that, since I've only read about it and never actually done it myself. If you have an HHN ticket, you can stay in the park and don't need to exit and re-enter. They have a designated holding area. When you're coming Express is not really needed. And one thing you might wanna look at, is a multi-day pass, which you can get at a great discount with your AP; even cheaper than a regular ticket for anyone else.

5. I'd love a OU meet-up! I know the idea is always thrown around, so keep checking the HHN forum :thumbs:

Good luck with everything! I'm sure you're gonna have an awesome trip!

Last edited:
Great replies, thanks so much. This really is the friendliest forum I use.

If I pre order AP can I still take advantage of hotel discount before Its activated?
Is HHN on every night? would be gutted if I had to be out of the park by 5 for my whole trip.

I could be the proud owner of 3 APs this year, uni, wdw and Alton Towers (UK) plus a cruise in June. Im going to enjoy 2013:thumbs:

Great replies, thanks so much. This really is the friendliest forum I use.

If I pre order AP can I still take advantage of hotel discount before Its activated?
Is HHN on every night? would be gutted if I had to be out of the park by 5 for my whole trip.

I could be the proud owner of 3 APs this year, uni, wdw and Alton Towers (UK) plus a cruise in June. Im going to enjoy 2013:thumbs:

Glad to help! Isn't OU awesome? :smiley:

Regarding the hotel, I believe so. You use the APH code when booking, and you present your actual physical AP upon check-in. So, one thing to take into account is having your AP ticket before check-in. Either have it delivered to you so it arrives before you come, or pick it up at guest services before checking in to the hotel :thumbs:

HHN will be on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. For the last few weeks of the event it'll be on Wednesdays as well. For reference, here's a calendar of last year's HHN dates:
calendar-hhn2012.png

PS: Unless we have an event which uses both parks, IoA will still be open at least a few more hours than Studios :thumbs:

Nice one.

Was going to skip the hotel this coming trip to save a few bucks, but with discounts and coming during a quieter a season think I may as well book a stay. I have yet to enjoy city walk at night, what with usually having a teen in tow. Hotel on site will give me luxury of staggering back.

i do usually get a car, Mustang when available, shame no discount for hotel parking. Never mind.

Thanks for all your help and your right it is a fantastic site.

Just as an after thought, how many express passes per room? Could treat someone on here if they needed one.

They'll give you as many express passes as the number of people you book for the room. I think it's the first 2 people to a room included with the normal room fee, but for every person after that I think they charge you an extra $25 per person, per room. You can double check this on the booking page. When you put 3, 4, (etc.) people for that booking, you'll see the price rise. Also, key thing, you'll have to give the names of each person upon check-in.

Is APH the correct code? same price with or without the code.

Should be APH. Now, depending on the dates, there may not be a discount :shrug: Check different dates and see. (FLO also works, but you'd have to present proof of FL residency :p You can try the code, just out of curiosity, to see if it does anything.)

Cheers will play around, limited to dates as already booked for the rest of my stay. Could well be because its a weekend.

EDIT. Code worked, no good for my dates though. Oh well, will have to have a re think.

Last edited:
APH codes aren't out for Sept yet - try again in a month of two. I'm staying at the Royal Pacific in late April for $169 a night with the APH discount, and I think Sept rates may be even cheaper when released.