Back to the Future: The Ride | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Back to the Future: The Ride

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think the best we can hope for when it comes to BTTF at USH is a new segment on the studio tour (perhaps a replacement for F&F Supercharged) or maybe an annual event celebrating the BTTF trilogy on courthouse square. Hell, how about a BTTF maze for HHN, even though its not from the horror genre. I think a maze based off of the alternate 1985 scenario from part 2 could be scary enough to be justified for use at HHN.

Last edited:
Oh I definitely agree that whatever replaces the Simpsons Ride for the long term, the building is coming down. I'm just saying with USH having so much in the Pipeline (F&F, Bourne, DK, etc) plus the contract for Simpsons ending the same year as the LA Olympics starting, there's no way they're going to have a legitimate replacement for Simpsons open within five years. Unless Bourne is replacing the Simpsons. They want all the capacity they can get in this small park and I seriously doubt they want that area closed off for construction once the LA Olympics start.

You're probably right, they probably won't do this. Once that contract expires and the Olympics starts, they could however buy a little more time for a more substantial replacement if they pulled a Captain EO and said "Guess what's back for a limited time!" The biggest work would be reskinning the cars back to the DeLoreons. Other than that and replacing the Krusty Head with a new sign, everything else could just be a simple paint job while adding some posters or random props on hand in the preshow rooms (Which wouldn't need to be exactly how it was). While that would only take a few months, the queue TV and IMAX footage can be changed virtually overnight. Heck, they could probably get away with just keeping the building blue. Just repaint the beams and the front and you're gold.

Again, this is all an idea and they probably won't do this, but if they're crunched for time and a substantial replacement isn't an option before the Olympics, I think this could be totally doable placeholder ride for 2-3 years. I can't image this would cost a whole lot to convert it back and this would be extremely marketable. Think of how many folks in their mid-20's+ who would kill for at least one more ride and all of the youngins who never had the chance to ride and would love to experience it. 2027 would be a great year to do this since it would be right before the contract expires and it would be the 20th anniversary of the ride's closure.
Good points. But on a side note do you happen to know if there is a specific end period time wise in the Simpsons contract? Everyone knows the end date is in 2028, but when it 2028? Is it late 2027, early 2028, or can it stay through out the entirety of 2028? I would also guess that after the Olympics wrap up at the end of July and foot traffic in the park dies down, The Simpsons Ride will close and be sent to the history books in August or maybe September 2028 so work can get under way on a replacement area in 2030. On a side note, we know that whatever becomes of the area after the Simpsons leave in 2028 after the Olympics wrap up, what will happen to Fast Food boulevard? will it get reskinned before the Olympics start or will they wait afterwards?

Good points. But on a side note do you happen to know if there is a specific end period time wise in the Simpsons contract? Everyone knows the end date is in 2028, but when it 2028? Is it late 2027, early 2028, or can it stay through out the entirety of 2028? I would also guess that after the Olympics wrap up at the end of July and foot traffic in the park dies down, The Simpsons Ride will close and be sent to the history books in August or maybe September 2028 so work can get under way on a replacement area in 2030. On a side note, we know that whatever becomes of the area after the Simpsons leave in 2028 after the Olympics wrap up, what will happen to Fast Food boulevard? will it get reskinned before the Olympics start or will they wait afterwards?
Nobody really knows except 2028. It probably means Jan 1st 2028 or May 2028 since the Simpsons Ride opened May 2008. I have no knowledge of the specifics, but I imagine the it would've stipulated "20 years from opening day is the deadline".

Once Simpsons' time is up, I would imagine Springfield would just be a quick and dirty reskin to a generic LA Street. You would have Fast and Furious right there so it makes sense. But if Simpsons leaves, it's probably safe to say that Springfield closes around the same time. They will most likely have the reskin for Springfield ready before the Olympics since that is a major chokepoint with crowds during HHN and peak season. No way they would close up those buildings during the Olympics.

So yeah, I would imagine the Simpsons ride would have to close sooner than later to accommodate the contract and to have time for something to be there in time for the Olympics. If the contract says they gotta get rid of it on Jan 1st or the beginning of Summer, this would be the best-quick fix to hold them over.