Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Batgirl

J.K. Simmons is in talks to reprise his role as Commissioner Gordon

To bring up the source:

I admittedly wonder, with JK Simmons seemingly back on as Gordon, and Affleck in The Flash; perhaps we might still find a potential future down the road for the DCEU's take on Batman proper? I know that's getting a lot of people hopeful to see what was originally planned for Affleck, with Deadstroke.

DCEU is going down the route of multiverse with Flashpoint, but I don't think we're going to see Affleck back for the long run.

Ezra Miller is a hurricane 5. The ripple effects from their behavior continue.

This is such a joke

Just release it on HBO...doesn't have to be apart of anytime line just a DC movie

Considering what some movies look like now-a-days (stares at Morbius), what does this look like that it won't see the light of day?

Also why does that make me want to see it even more?

These are the same directors who worked on Ms. Marvel, so this is a rough one two punch for them. Ms. Marvel was the least viewed MCU show (although imo it was the best) and now people don't even get to see their work on Batgirl.

I don't care about the corporations throwing away money in a situation like this, it's about all the work that went into a movie that will now never be seen. I remember Leslie Grace was great in In The Heights and this could've been a career revival for Brendan Fraser.

While I feel bad for everyone involved, i'd like to share some quotes from various sources that saw a version of the movie and basically why it was cancelled. As I said in the HBO Max thread, it was basically cancelled to save the Batgirl brand from her being seen as a lesser-than superhero.

Let's go down the line with some things that can be found that are said about the movie:

Those tests were said to be so poorly received by moviegoers that the studio decided to cut its losses and run, for the sake of the brand’s future. It’s a DC disaster. “They think an unspeakable ‘Batgirl’ is going to be irredeemable,” the source said. - NY Post

Spoke to people that saw Batgirl and they said it was a huge disappointment. Also that the costumes looked cheap especially Keaton’s Batman costume. I figured WB would dump it on HBO Max but looks like we will never see it. - Collider

The word for awhile with insiders was that the film (Batgirl) was beyond salvageable. The question of if it would do more harm than good to the brand has been raised several times. - Former THR Editor

Let's add on to that the tax writeoff for this will probably cover at the very least whatever the movie would have made at the box office since it probably would've been a low-grossing film, and since they aren't releasing it, they don't have to spend the money to market the movie meaning they are potentially saving money by not releasing this movie on top of protecting the character/brand from being ruined with a bad film.

How does this movie even reach the point of screening before WB notices how much of a mess the whole thing is? Are we not reviewing scripts, samples of costumes, etc.? It's not like WB has some track record of being hands-off with these DC films..

While I feel bad for everyone involved, i'd like to share some quotes from various sources that saw a version of the movie and basically why it was cancelled. As I said in the HBO Max thread, it was basically cancelled to save the Batgirl brand from her being seen as a lesser-than superhero.

Let's go down the line with some things that can be found that are said about the movie:

Those tests were said to be so poorly received by moviegoers that the studio decided to cut its losses and run, for the sake of the brand’s future. It’s a DC disaster. “They think an unspeakable ‘Batgirl’ is going to be irredeemable,” the source said. - NY Post

Spoke to people that saw Batgirl and they said it was a huge disappointment. Also that the costumes looked cheap especially Keaton’s Batman costume. I figured WB would dump it on HBO Max but looks like we will never see it. - Collider

The word for awhile with insiders was that the film (Batgirl) was beyond salvageable. The question of if it would do more harm than good to the brand has been raised several times. - Former THR Editor

Let's add on to that the tax writeoff for this will probably cover at the very least whatever the movie would have made at the box office since it probably would've been a low-grossing film, and since they aren't releasing it, they don't have to spend the money to market the movie meaning they are potentially saving money by not releasing this movie on top of protecting the character/brand from being ruined with a bad film.
Star Wars was unwatchable at one point.

Star Wars was unwatchable at one point.
Yeah, as recently as 2019 with RotS (or some may say BoBF/Obi Wan, but those were just mediocre imo).

Why was RotS so bad though? Lack of direction within the sequel trilogy. The DCEU had a complete lack of direction and also it seems lack of oversight in many cases as well. I think what both of these things indicate is that there needs to be better leadership within franchise filmmaking.

I'm still not quite sure what Star Wars has to do with this, but why put out a sub-par product if you don't have to?

I think it has to do with quality control levels. They weren’t designing it for theaters, but instead on a “meager” budget for HBO max. I just don’t think they knew how to scale for quality yet.

Stirring in the aspects of the reactions: directors and creatives such as Kevin Feige, James Gunn, and Edgar Wright all have been sending messages to the director duo, and Walter Hamada nearly left the company due to Batgirl's cancellation (He will be sticking with WB until Black Adam).

Additionally in the rumor, it was confirmed that none of the cast talent were informed of the cancellation until the day of

I'm still not quite sure what Star Wars has to do with this, but why put out a sub-par product if you don't have to?

@SailwiththeTide can correct me, but I think his point is the original 77 movie was saved in the editing room. Maybe with some reshoots and strong editing Batgirl could've been saved as well.

All moot now, of course, if they get a tax break then can do nothing to make money with the film. As a member of the general public I expect never to see it. Which is crazy.

@SailwiththeTide can correct me, but I think his point is the original 77 movie was saved in the editing room. Maybe with some reshoots and strong editing Batgirl could've been saved as well.

All moot now, of course, if they get a tax break then can do nothing to make money with the film. As a member of the general public I expect never to see it. Which is crazy.
Look at this Zaslav quote and remember he doesn’t like spending more than they need to.

“We’re not going to release a movie until it’s ready. We’re not going to release a movie to make a quarter and we’re not going to release a movie unless we believe in it.

Basically I take from that that Batgirl was too far gone and to fix it would’ve just meant pouring more money into it and Zaslav put his foot down on the film entirely.