Blue Sky: Bringing Dreamworks to the Parks | Inside Universal Forums

Blue Sky: Bringing Dreamworks to the Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 31, 2013
With the Dreamworks acquisition by Comcast I'm sure we've all been thinking about how to incorporate the properties into the parks. Hopefully one day we'll be able to enjoy a HTTYD E-Ticket, but in the meantime I thought about some ways to bring Dreamworks into the parks quickly and somewhat easily. These Blue Sky ideas could bring new experiences to IOA in 2018 as a complement to F&F opening in the Studios.

Idea #1 - Dreamworks water parade in the IOA lagoon

Inspiration: water parade at Tokyo Disney Sea
maxresdefault.jpg

Description of map below:
Red - parade float storage
Yellow - parade path
Blue - viewing areas along the lagoon
upload_2017-1-27_9-59-18.png

Parade float properties: Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD, Madagascar
upload_2017-1-27_10-6-11.png
upload_2017-1-27_10-6-17.png
upload_2017-1-27_10-6-23.png
upload_2017-1-27_10-6-29.png

More IP's could be incorporated into the parade to fill it out (Ex: Seuss, Jurassic Park, etc...)

Idea #2 - Dreamworks based Stage Shows

Replace Sinbad with a HTTYD show based on the popular arena show
upload_2017-1-27_10-7-45.png
upload_2017-1-27_10-7-49.png

Use the Toon Lagoon theater for a Shrek themed show. It could be an adaptation of the current Shrek: The Musical. The Shrek and Donkey characters could also be used like the Genie (DCA's former Aladdin show) to add some improv humor.
upload_2017-1-27_10-8-48.png

This is a really interesting idea.

When all the discussions were happening about expanding HP and LC, I always wondered what would happen to the boat house area as it was in a prime location and since the boats don't operate any more, it seems kind of useless. Given the size of the lagoon, I think this is going to have to be a big show.

I really really dig this idea. :cheers:

I love ANY idea that would utilize the lagoon, but I think they would need to expand walkways for more viewing areas. It would be a relatively inexpensive addition that could serve many purposes; for example, water parade viewing, nighttime show viewing, shortcuts, general relaxation areas, overflow, etc. They just need to add concrete supports throughout the lagoon and add boardwalk-style areas in between lands.

BLUE: current potential viewing areas, with some places needing some landscaping to be able to see the lagoon.
GREEN: new boardwalk areas

lagoon.jpg

First new boardwalk: JP to Toon Lagoon (need some thinning of shrubbery)
lagoon2.jpg

Toon Lagoon to Marvel SHI
lagoon1.jpg

Only one I'm unsure about is whether a boardwalk behind the hulk would be worth it.
lagoon4.jpg

boardwalk behind Seuss would be biggest section, but also one of the best viewing areas.
lagoon5.jpg

another good viewing area would be from Lost Continent to JP, with Mythos serving as the up charge dinner location
lagoon3.jpg

so, who's got a number to UC?

Reactions: Coasted and Speed
Won't happen until new park.... Universal/Dreamworks Animation is going in a very different direction than what we are currently seeing for the future films. Expect Laika/Pixar quality films than the Shreks and HTTYD style films. Part of why Croods got cancelled. Illuminations will focus on fun/whimsical while Dreamworks will be more pixar level smart films.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Won't happen until new park.... Universal/Dreamworks Animation is going in a very different direction than what we are currently seeing for the future films. Expect Laika/Pixar quality films than the Shreks and HTTYD style films. Part of why Croods got cancelled. Illuminations will focus on fun/whimsical while Dreamworks will be more pixar level smart films.

Although, that doesn't mean that they won't be making some fun/whimsical films (The Shrek Franchise/Madagascar {if they make another}) and some of the TV content, I do believe that DWA will be grown up while still catering to the families in many aspects. It's Lakia though, that I am most curious to see.

In the terms of DWA coming to the parks, M&G's? Yes. Possible inclusion in Cinespec? Probably. Being apart of the parade? Maybe. But I don't see any BIG and MAJOR additions to the characters until the southern property opens up publicly.

Although, that doesn't mean that they won't be making some fun/whimsical films (The Shrek Franchise/Madagascar {if they make another}) and some of the TV content, I do believe that DWA will be grown up while still catering to the families in many aspects. It's Lakia though, that I am most curious to see.

In the terms of DWA coming to the parks, M&G's? Yes. Possible inclusion in Cinespec? Probably. Being apart of the parade? Maybe. But I don't see any BIG and MAJOR additions to the characters until the southern property opens up publicly.

Universal only has two more films with Laika with the thought that Laika will renew due to them still having a really great relationship and a lot of freedom but that isn't 100% confirmed yet.

As for parks, agreed. Meet and Greets already are happening in LA with the first being Po as for Florida, I don't think we will see any until 2018.

I'd rather wait for the third park too, other than some meet-and-greets in the meantime. These properties are ripe for fully-realized worlds and there just isn't much space for that in our current parks without demo and replace.

As somebody who's seen the Tokyo Winter Lagoon show, I'm going to add a couple notes about their show layout.

The show happens in a smaller lagoon that is part of just the Mediterranean Harbor land. The lagoon is surrounded, all 360 degrees of it, by a ton of empty walk way space designed for an audience. Imagine Epcot's setup but smaller. As it stands now, IoA doesn't have remotely enough walkway space for a large-scale lagoon show.

I don't think any amount of construction will change that. I really think Universal will have to wait until the third park for a proper lagoon show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel
Using the Tokyo lagoon show as inspiration was probably a bit of an overkill. What I had in mind was a relatively simple parade on water instead of on the pathways. These ideas could serve as a hold over until the Dreamworks properties are fully realized in the future.

As somebody who's seen the Tokyo Winter Lagoon show, I'm going to add a couple notes about their show layout.

The show happens in a smaller lagoon that is part of just the Mediterranean Harbor land. The lagoon is surrounded, all 360 degrees of it, by a ton of empty walk way space designed for an audience. Imagine Epcot's setup but smaller. As it stands now, IoA doesn't have remotely enough walkway space for a large-scale lagoon show.

I don't think any amount of construction will change that. I really think Universal will have to wait until the third park for a proper lagoon show.
They have done a large scale lagoon/fireworks show at IOA before