Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Changes To Fastpass+?

The biggest mistake that Disney executives are making behind these decisions is that they are totally convinced that Covid has “shown” them people will be more-than-willing to pay more for less. What they fail to understand is that people went because they were happy to experience any entertainment outside of their homes despite the restrictions everywhere. Nobody expected Fastpass+ or theatrical entertainment to just go away forever.

Now that Covid is finally fading off in the sunset (I mean restrictions are lifting) customers, including myself, are not going to be happy to hear that the pandemic has given them an excuse to add more hoops and up charges to their experience. If I have to pay $150 for a “Lightning Pass” (With tiers mind you. I hate that T-word), AND I had to enter more virtual squirrel lotteries just to go on classic rides, that would never make me want to come back ever again.

I swear Chapek must be on a mission to intentionally burn Disney to the ground. Their arrogance and greed just turns me off more and more as time goes by. And they wonder why there’s such a hostile perception of them nowadays.

It is difficult for me. I enjoy the parks and the rides, specifically the older rides, although we enjoy some of the new attractions as well. FP+ irritated me because it required getting online at 7:00 AM 60 days out to try and lay out a vacation when I just wanted to be able to show up and have fun. Then, I grew more irritated by the impact on the lines, which included standing still for long periods of time while FP+ guests were admitted. Also, it was added to rides that didn't need it because the capacity of those rides was high enough to handle crowds. Now, the threat of this VQ being spread across the parks is really frustrating, although we don't know what it is like. I just want to go and ride the rides or watch a parade and not have to overthink about how to have fun. Instead of wasting money on this crap, why not continue to invest in rides with capacities that hit the 2,500 pph mark? If they want repeat visits, they should have enough attractions that you can't hit them all in one trip instead of limiting access to rides.

When I go to UNI/IOA, my decisions are more streamlined. Should I stay onsite to get Express or just purchase Express separately so that we don't have to change hotels? Second question is usually, does TouringPlans think that it will be busy enough for me to purchase Express? That's a very straight forward decision tree. Now, with Magical Express ending, that is one less reason for us to not switch hotels. Before, we liked ME and would just rent a car and drive to UNI/IOA for the one or two days at the parks. Now, why wouldn't we rent a car at the airport and then do split stays between Universal Orlando and WDW?

I am starting to get a little more cost-conscious, not that I wasn't already, and am starting to consider more offsite stays to obtain more bang for our buck. We still will want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge or Port Orleans but the argument for offsite has more merit because Disney is pricing themselves out of our budget.

The example floated was "The Mountains" or "Fantasyland Dark Rides." I assume just illustrative, but yeah, maybe three headliners in a tier? Again, needlessly complicated for the casual guest, who this is clearly aimed at.

After a bit of digging, here's screenshots of Premier Access bundles from Shanghai Disneyland. Paris was offering two bundles (Family: Rat, Pan, & Buzz; Exciting: Hyperspace Mt, Rock 'n Roller, Tower) alongside single and unlimited FP entry tickets. It wouldn't be shocking to see WDW to do something similar with having select headliner attractions included only in the most expensive options.

Attachments

• ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_2-675x1200.png
    ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_2-675x1200.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_3-675x1200.png
    ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_3-675x1200.png
    470.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_6-675x1200.png
    ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_6-675x1200.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_5-675x1200.png
    ShanghaiPremierAccess_Crop_5-675x1200.png
    441.3 KB · Views: 14
After a bit of digging, here's screenshots of Premier Access bundles from Shanghai Disneyland. Paris was offering two bundles (Family: Rat, Pan, & Buzz; Exciting: Hyperspace Mt, Rock 'n Roller, Tower) alongside single and unlimited FP entry tickets. It wouldn't be shocking to see WDW to do something similar with having select headliner attractions included only in the most expensive options.
Yeah, it’s sort of going back to the ticket system in a way, but packaging rides in each ride category together.

Not having FastPass for almost a year now has really uncovered all the flaws in that system. I hope it never comes back. But if it absolutely has to, then I'd be okay with it being in a limited type paid option. Keyword: LIMITED. And hopefully on a lot less attractions than literally everything like it was before.

Honestly, I'm surprised Disney has shown this much restraint on their usual money grubbing ways during the past few months. Remember when they were charging special admission for early morning entry events AND after hours events on the same day?

Honestly, I'm surprised Disney has shown this much restraint on their usual money grubbing ways during the past few months. Remember when they were charging special admission for early morning entry events AND after hours events on the same day?
A lot of those were money losers as they ended up giving tickets away and spent more on staffing than they were making.

A lot of those were money losers as they ended up giving tickets away and spent more on staffing than they were making.

It's like trying to run a water park at night. Doesn't matter how awesome you make it look, theme park crowds are going to do things their way. That's why taking away FastPass after decades is going to be a pain point, even tho it should end up better for everyone.

Disney has implemented an update in the My Disney Experience app that may suggest that a skip-the-line option may be returning soon. As you can see in the screenshots below, Disney has added the word “Standby” to wait times within the app.

Previously, the app did not include the “Standby” wording.

Disney, between park reservations, pushing away AP's, strange fastpass and stand by line rumored changes, slow return of live entertainment, way too much required planning, shortened hours
and overpriced special events.....is really pushing the envelope on what it's long pixie dust marketed propaganda fans will endure, without deserting the ship. Pent up demand may keep the ship afloat
for the next 12 months. But what will happen after that, in regards to blind pixie dust loyalty, will be interesting to watch. Disney may well be overestimating their appeal, especially with changing, and aging,
demographics altering the theme park landscape....I think Universal is salivating at the thought that Disney is doing itself long term harm in the name of short term profits....(as Jaws music plays in the background)

Disney, between park reservations, pushing away AP's, strange fastpass and stand by line rumored changes, slow return of live entertainment, way too much required planning, shortened hours
and overpriced special events.....is really pushing the envelope on what it's long pixie dust marketed propaganda fans will endure, without deserting the ship. Pent up demand may keep the ship afloat
for the next 12 months. But what will happen after that, in regards to blind pixie dust loyalty, will be interesting to watch. Disney may well be overestimating their appeal, especially with changing, and aging,
demographics altering the theme park landscape....I think Universal is salivating at the thought that Disney is doing itself long term harm in the name of short term profits....(as Jaws music plays in the background)
What's happening in regards to the standby line? Can't find anything online

Sounds like the same thing they had at Shanghai. I didn't use it but it was nice to know I had the option in case I needed it... i.e. I traveled all the way to Shanghai Disneyland for a once-in-a-lifetime trip and could guarantee I could actually get on rides if crowds were larger than expected.

And it sounds like there will still be a free version? So not sure what the big deal is.

What's happening in regards to the standby line? Can't find anything online

Over at DLP, if standby goes over 25 minutes, they cut the line off and everyone has to get a standby pass in order to get in the standby line. Also, you can only have one standby pass at a time.

I honestly hope that doesn't make it stateside, since I just don't see it being feasible at WDW who struggled enough with FP+. Adding a bunch of standby passes to the system ain't gonna' help.