Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Coaster coming to SeaWorld California in 2012

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
From Screamscape:

(1/7/11) I received a strange e-mail today that contained a few very wonderful images that claim to be what SeaWorld California has in store for 2012. If I had to guess, it looks like the former 2010 coaster project that the park once had in development (Project: Abyss/ Project: Reef Runner) with Premier Rides has went in a new direction with a new company. Judging from the one drawing of the train itself and the indications of two separate launches on the layout drawings, I’d say without a doubt we are looking at the next Mack Launched Coaster. Though in this case, a much smaller sibling to the amazing BlueFire coaster system that premiered at Europa Park in 2009. It also looks like they’re adding a small little “Manta” style Sting Ray decoration piece to the front of the train, so at least we know the theme they are going for as well.

The layout has two clearly labeled launch zones, one right after the train turns to the right out of the station area, and the other about half way through the ride. I’m not sure if there are any inversions on this ride or not, though I see a spot that could be a zero-g roll or corkscrew possibly, though the old 2010 concept did not have any inversions. And like the old concept, I’m assuming that this new ride may feature both indoor and outdoor elements, but I’m not sure if they will attempt a splash-down effect at some point or not.

Looking back at the old artwork and layouts I had for the former coaster project, if we assume the park is still looking to locate this new coaster in the same basic location, I can plop down the layout drawing over an aerial picture of the park to get a pretty good idea of just about where the 2012 coaster project will be located. As before, putting the old empty ‘bowl’ site across from the Skyride to good use, as well as seeming to involve the demolition of the park’s very old former Japanese Village building, about the only thing remaining from the old Pearl Dive show from the 70’s to mid 80’s. The location of the nearby Forbidden Reef Ray and Eel caverns also fits right in with a Manta style theme as well. Of course this is all assumption that they are using the same site as the cancelled 2010 coaster project from Premier Rides, but given that these two projects share numerous design similarities, I’d say it’s a pretty good bet I’m on the right track. More as I dig it up and keep your eyes open in the park, as I assume they’ll have to begin construction on a project this size within the next 3-4 months to get it open in time for 2012.

You can check out the photos by following this link:

http://screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm

Good if this is true. they really do need another coaster or two. should increase their business by alot, as people in San Diego usually find themselves diving 3 hours away to Six Flags, 2 hours to Knotts or Disneyland, if they want to ride any good rides...

This looks like it could be a great addition to the park. I can't wait to hear more and see if they do indeed follow a similar Manta theme.

This looks like an awesome addition to this park. I loved Blue Fire at Europa Park and would love to see more MACK launches in America. Plus this park needs a coaster.

BTW, looks like the SWPE (SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment) parks are getting into multi-launch coasters. :lol: First BGT with Cheetah Hunt, now SeaWorld San Diego with this new coaster. And Williamsburg is getting a multi-launch next year too.

I just wanted to point that out. :lol:

Looks like it's confirmed as a new version Manta.

(1/10/11) One of our readers has dug up a little more info on the 2012 Manta themed coaster project going in. According to this link the project is out for bidding through to Jan. 21st and is officially listed as “Sea World Manta Exhibit & Ride Attraction 2012”

Ok so Orlando gets a B&M flier, Sandiego gets a unique LIM / Dark coaster, let me guess.. a flat ride named manta for texas? (*hides*)

I'm liking what I see, If they can get this past the permitting department It would rock for the park!

So I guess this is all but confirmed... this looks rather interesting! :thumbs:

BTW, I just wanted to point something out, I was the one found the "Sea World Manta Exhibit & Ride Attraction 2012" document by Google Search (just like the BGT 2011 document).

From Screamscape:

2012 - Manta Coaster Attraction and Exhibit - Semi-Approved - (2/3/11) Good news for SeaWorld California, the California Coastal Comission has recommended approval for the park’s new Manta themed coaster attraction, with a few conditions. These will be discussed at a Feb. 11th meeting, but it did mention that the maximum height of the coaster was only 30 feet. SeaWorld is expected to make an announcement about the ride sometime next week, which will include an aquarium viewing area and ray pool.

Everyone keep in mind, the coaster is supposedly going to be indoors, with some outdoor portions. I suppose that's why it's 30 ft. Oh, and if I recall correctly, Revenge of the Mummy is about 30 ft (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
SeaWorld just posted a video showing the layout of the new coaster on their youtube page, I couldn't find an article or anything to accompany it though,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5U-277V49Q&feature=feedu

Edit: SeaWorld have just released details through their Facebook page:

Hey Fans!! Many of you have already heard, but we’re making it official!! We are very excited to announce that our new attraction for 2012 will be a launch coaster called Manta. Yes, it’s the same name as SeaWorld Orlando, but it will be different in many other ways. It will be the first of its kind coaster for our park. Instead of being a traditional “gravity” launch coaster, we will use linear induction, basically strong electromagnets, to accelerate and propel the coaster trains from two launch stations along the track. The first launch station accelerates riders out of a tunnel that is actually a 270-degree enveloping screen where we will project giant images of rays. Mind blowing!! Riders will then twist and turn on the coaster simulating how a ray would soar through the ocean. Manta will be more than just a coaster; we are completely revamping the bat ray pool (currently Forbidden Reef) and underwater viewing area to make it an even greater immersive, interpretive and interactive educational experience. This is going to be fantastic!!!

There's also a piece of concept art but I don't know to post that here from facebook.

Last edited:
looks great for the park, though from a perspective of thrills I'm not sure about it. Interesting they are using Mack, though they did work with them in the past with the three incarnations of Atlantis.

oh no breaking news: SeaWorld Texas announced a random flat ride to be named Manta to open in 2013 ;)

Here's a pic from Theme Park Review of the concept art:

thumb_coaster_4.jpg

It looks pretty impressive to me!