Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Some rumors for a Creature ride back in the day were it could be indoors, so it’s always nighttime, with tech similar to Pirates Shanghai.

A simulated sinking boat patent was expected to be involved, where it looks like you’ve sprung a leak and are listing on one side.

And the best rumor, was that at one point, the Creature boards your boat. Right when the boat’s power shuts down.

And its pitch black dark.

Some rumors for a Creature ride back in the day were it could be indoors, so it’s always nighttime, with tech similar to Pirates Shanghai.

A simulated sinking boat patent was expected to be involved, where it looks like you’ve sprung a leak and are listing on one side.

And the best rumor, was that at one point, the Creature boards your boat. Right when the boat’s power shuts down.

Inject this into my veins

He's not left out as much as Phantom.
Universal's been reluctant to capitalize on their Lon Chaney PHANTOM film (the most iconic one) because it's now in public domain. Their PHANTOM remake, from 1943, is still totally under their control, but the Phantom character in that movie is nowhere near as identifiable or recognizable as the Chaney version.

I'm glad the Phantom of the dark ride seems heavily inspired by the Chaney version (in a similar way to how the Phantom appeared in the first iteration of the Horror Makeup Show at USF when that park opened).

I miss my shirt... :lol:

*looks at wall* heh..
forgot I swapped around my movie posters :eyes::skull:
View attachment 22316
Liked for those figures at the bottom, not that poster! ;)

giphy.gif

Universal's been reluctant to capitalize on their Lon Chaney PHANTOM film (the most iconic one) because it's now in public domain. Their PHANTOM remake, from 1943, is still totally under their control, but the Phantom character in that movie is nowhere near as identifiable or recognizable as the Chaney version
Um. You're certainly not giving me, of all people, a Phantom history lesson right?
judging tom cruise GIF

*gets the spray bottle*

It all looks so damn good... but I feel like that dedicated building for applying Monster Face Paint feels like an answer to my question of what will be the first thing to close/change at Epic Universe.
It’s a room off to the back of the main retail. It’s not the whole building. Permits seem to show it has having only a railing separating it from the rest of the retail space.

Victoria is a narrative stand in for both the Dr and Helsing. (That’s why she has the crossbow in the key art.)

In the queue it explains how she’s devoted her life to tracking and capturing monsters. I think she may even have Van Helsing’s journal which helped her learn weaknesses.

But she’s also restarted her great great grandfather’s research and created her own Monster.

Why did they do all this? Go through so much trouble when they already have preexisting characters and stories? Because Dark Universe is an original land, it’s just inspired by the Classic Monsters. And by bringing the stories into present day, it gives them the excuse to create whatever they want, building upon the lore, without worrying about timelines, plot holes, or logical inconsistencies.
Galaxy’s Edge wishes it could be Dark Universe

So my question ..

Does this mean the Monster Makeup experience was popular enough at USF for them to decide to make it permanent at EU?

Reactions: Ahmanet
Universal's been reluctant to capitalize on their Lon Chaney PHANTOM film (the most iconic one) because it's now in public domain. Their PHANTOM remake, from 1943, is still totally under their control, but the Phantom character in that movie is nowhere near as identifiable or recognizable as the Chaney version.

I'm glad the Phantom of the dark ride seems heavily inspired by the Chaney version (in a similar way to how the Phantom appeared in the first iteration of the Horror Makeup Show at USF when that park opened).

While this is largely true, there’s a bit more to it. Part of the problem is that there is no real consensus on what the “true” cut of Chaney’s Phantom even is. The original film, like many silent films of the era, are long gone. Several versions exist, and there’s no definitive cut supported by Universal (which is compounded by the public domain issue - the market is glutted with cheap, crappy rips of the film).

Additionally, and probably more pivotally, the Chaney family estate has rights over Chaney Sr.’s likeness and indeed his Phantom’s appearance and makeup. Every piece of merchandise or appearance invoking this version of the character has to be cleared with the family, and they get a cut. It doesn’t mean they won’t use him, but it’s a deterrent.

So my question ..

Does this mean the Monster Makeup experience was popular enough at USF for them to decide to make it permanent at EU?
The make-up section of the retail building was listed in the permits for years at Dark Universe. If anything, they may have been testing pricing/timing/popularity of styles at Studios recently in preparation.

While this is largely true, there’s a bit more to it. Part of the problem is that there is no real consensus on what the “true” cut of Chaney’s Phantom even is. The original film, like many silent films of the era, are long gone. Several versions exist, and there’s no definitive cut supported by Universal (which is compounded by the public domain issue - the market is glutted with cheap, crappy rips of the film).
Incidentally, for anyone interested in this stuff, the Kino Lorber Blu-ray release, which contains three versions of the film, is an essential:

Currently OOP (ish), but apparently Kino are prepping a new release.

IMG_1928.jpeg