Disney+ | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Welcome to Star Wars, which has Saturday serials in its DNA. It's supposed to be episodic
I'm fine with each episode being a story...but we had a MUCH better monsters episode just last episode. Also not much new info was given at all about anything, think next episodes will mix the one episode plot with the overall plot and be better for it.
Remember when they made an entire animated series, Star Wars Detours, only to shelve it probably forever due to fears of brand dilution when Lucasfilm sold to Disney?

I do, but Disney plans it sooo safe. I'm kinda confused to how they could still allow the Star Wars Dance off at WDW, that seems so silly and random for Disney to allow.

Reactions: SpyderDan
Disney announced the updated subscriber total for Disney+ is now at 73.7M as of October 3rd. Given that October 3rd is before The Mandalorian Season 2 began, i'm willing to bet those numbers have already gone up quite a bit. Either way, with today being the one-year anniversary of the streaming service to the day, I think it's fair to say that they've blown expectations out of the water with that subscriber total. Now a lot of it is about retaining while still growing.

Also of note, the ESPN+ subscription numbers are starting to get surprisingly high with them now having 10.3M subscribers, but they are growing at a faster rate than Hulu, so it's not just on the basis of the Disney Bundle, which is interesting. I also find it quite funny that ESPN+ has more subscribers than HBOMax (who at last count, had 8.6M).

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
To also bring up, they've also had positive thoughts on Premier Access with Mulan, and will be sharing more information on Premier Access going forward on Investor Day. Additionally, they're seemingly going to be more dedicated going forward to increase the throughput of content for their DTC's.

Reactions: youhow2
To also bring up, they've also had positive thoughts on Premier Access with Mulan, and will be sharing more information on Premier Access going forward on Investor Day. Additionally, they're seemingly going to be more dedicated going forward to increase the throughput of content for their DTC's.
They had hoped to increase content this year. COVID really took a knife to those plans.

Of course, D+ will have gotten 5 films slated for theaters once Soul is out and Hamilton wasn't supposed to come out until next fall, either. While Artemis Fowl was bad, The One and Only Ivan was okay, Soul already has great reviews and Hamilton was huge for the service as well. Mulan was in a different category as those since it had Premiere Access, but either way it will be available to all subscribers in early December (which is when i'll finally watch it). I think factoring in the quick speed in which Onward was added to the service is important too as that was also due to COVID.

They had hoped to increase content this year. COVID really took a knife to those plans.

Of course, D+ will have gotten 5 films slated for theaters once Soul is out and Hamilton wasn't supposed to come out until next fall, either. While Artemis Fowl was bad, The One and Only Ivan was okay, Soul already has great reviews and Hamilton was huge for the service as well. Mulan was in a different category as those since it had Premiere Access, but either way it will be available to all subscribers in early December (which is when i'll finally watch it). I think factoring in the quick speed in which Onward was added to the service is important too as that was also due to COVID.
Frozen 2 also released early due to the pandemic I think. Also, Timmy Failure, the only live-action movie D+ has released that I enjoyed, but that was released in February, pre-pandemic.

Reactions: RevFreako and Nick
Frozen 2 also released early due to the pandemic I think. Also, Timmy Failure, the only live-action movie D+ has released that I enjoyed, but that was released in February, pre-pandemic.
I enjoyed Clouds as far as live-action original movies go. Of course I also enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars, and this was fairly similar.

Plans are going forward for an all new iteration of the iconic Darkwing Duck series--to air on Disney+ exclusively.
Ya know, with the focus shifting so much to Disney+ so fast, I truly wonder how much longer the Disney Channel has left. I know that it already shut down in parts of Europe and with lots of content that would normally go to Disney Channel or Disney XD going to Disney+ now. Clone Wars, Lego Star Wars Holiday Special, new Mickey Mouse shorts, Phineas and Ferb: Candace Against the Universe, etc. That's all stuff that likely would've gone to either Disney Channel proper or Disney XD before.

Then when you factor in all of the upcoming stuff like this, The Bad Batch, and lots, lots more, I just don't see the long term viability of Disney Channel anymore. Or the reason to keep it around. But maybe i'm mistaken.

Ya know, with the focus shifting so much to Disney+ so fast, I truly wonder how much longer the Disney Channel has left. I know that it already shut down in parts of Europe with lots of content that would normally go to Disney Channel or Disney XD going to Disney+ now. Clone Wars, Lego Star Wars Holiday Special, new Mickey Mouse shorts, Phineas and Ferb: Candace Against the Universe, etc. That's all stuff that likely would've gone to either Disney Channel proper or Disney XD before.

Then when you factor in all of the upcoming stuff like this, The Bad Batch, and lots, lots more, I just don't see the long term viability of Disney Channel anymore. Or the reason to keep it around. But maybe i'm mistaken.

I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative on Disney's Investors Day on the 10th would signal that.

With the increasing interest the company has to DTC, cutting Disney Channel and Disney XD in the long haul may benefit them. Especially if the focus is going to be on the streaming platforms.

I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative on Disney's Investors Day on the 10th would signal that.

With the increasing interest the company has to DTC, cutting Disney Channel and Disney XD in the long haul may benefit them. Especially if the focus is going to be on the streaming platforms.
Especially when you consider that, despite the flashy 73.7M subscriber figure, the still lost $580M on Disney+ in Q4 (and likely will continue to lose money for a few years at least). Cutting those networks would save the company some money and it would allow even more shows to keep getting greenlit for Disney+.

Especially when you consider that, despite the flashy 73.7M subscriber figure, the still lost $580M on Disney+ in Q4 (and likely will continue to lose money for a few years at least). Cutting those networks would save the company some money and it would allow even more shows to keep getting greenlit for Disney+.

Honestly, I am wondering if Disney Channel, FXX, Disney XD, and Freeform go in the next two years. Would allow them to focus on expanding their DTC support further; and to reduce costs where you can.

Ya know, with the focus shifting so much to Disney+ so fast, I truly wonder how much longer the Disney Channel has left. I know that it already shut down in parts of Europe and with lots of content that would normally go to Disney Channel or Disney XD going to Disney+ now. Clone Wars, Lego Star Wars Holiday Special, new Mickey Mouse shorts, Phineas and Ferb: Candace Against the Universe, etc. That's all stuff that likely would've gone to either Disney Channel proper or Disney XD before.

It still has a good period of time left. There is still a good chunk of flyover country who can't rely on streaming.

Reactions: Coasted and Nick
After High Fidelity and Love, Victor moved from Disney+ to Hulu, we now have our first series moving the other way around. The Mysterious Benedict society, which is based on a book series of the same name, will be coming to Disney+ in 2021 and will star Tony Hale along with a young ensemble cast.

I'm sort of surprised that The Hardy Boys didn't get moved as well as it looks fairly well suited for Disney+ and it's based on an iconic book series.

Just watched the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special. Obviously aimed at being fun for kids, but it was a fun watch and if you’re a big Star Wars fan, there’s a lot to like here imo.
I think for me to get enjoyment from this I will need to be drunk and with friends....so If I can find a safe way to do that then I'll watch it but Im sure on my own I would for the most part just think its meh. But considering how cheap this is to make I'd love them to do one every couple of years or every year if they can do different styles.

I think for me to get enjoyment from this I will need to be drunk and with friends....so If I can find a safe way to do that then I'll watch it but Im sure on my own I would for the most part just think its meh. But considering how cheap this is to make I'd love them to do one every couple of years or every year if they can do different styles.
It's certainly nowhere near "alcohol required" to be able to enjoy it. If you've seen any of The Lego Movies, the humor is similar, it's just Star Wars making fun of itself.

Nice

Logan and Deadpool are both great films and also if you've never seen Bad Times at the El Royale I'd recommend anyone who likes tarantino style films to watch it.