Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DreamWorks Destination - KidZone

I'm hoping this is popular enough to get them to greenlight a KidZone update/re-theme.
It would cost such a small amount of money to just replace some of the theming with some theming for whatever Dreamworks IP they wanted to put in place of Woody Woodpecker. The track wouldn't even necessarily have to be painted depending on what they chose to do. Overall, it would probably take less than a month to retheme that coaster (possibly 2 weeks if they wanted it done ASAP) and the cost would be very minimal.

The thing is, even though the cost is minimal, what exactly is the gain? They still have to figure out how to make money from the land. There's a closed shop in the land that I assume they are retheming as the shop is part of the exit to the theater and it was previously themed to Barney. The question is, are they going to leave the tiny bathroom at the back of KidZone Barney themed or will they retheme it?

Until they bother to retheme that bathroom, I wouldn't hold out hope for anything in the rest of the land, long-term.

It would cost such a small amount of money to just replace some of the theming with some theming for whatever Dreamworks IP they wanted to put in place of Woody Woodpecker. The track wouldn't even necessarily have to be painted depending on what they chose to do. Overall, it would probably take less than a month to retheme that coaster (possibly 2 weeks if they wanted it done ASAP) and the cost would be very minimal.

The thing is, even though the cost is minimal, what exactly is the gain? They still have to figure out how to make money from the land. There's a closed shop in the land that I assume they are retheming as the shop is part of the exit to the theater and it was previously themed to Barney. The question is, are they going to leave the tiny bathroom at the back of KidZone Barney themed or will they retheme it?

Until they bother to retheme that bathroom, I wouldn't hold out hope for anything in the rest of the land, long-term.

I've always imagined that re-theming Fievel to a modern IP (Trolls would be eye-catching from the main walkway and popular), a re-themed Woodpecker and a couple of flat rides would do the job. It's also a quick/cheap way to associate Dreamworks IPs with Universal and provide a dedicated merchandise area.

I've always imagined that re-theming Fievel to a modern IP (Trolls would be eye-catching from the main walkway and popular), a re-themed Woodpecker and a couple of flat rides would do the job. It's also a quick/cheap way to associate Dreamworks IPs with Universal and provide a dedicated merchandise area.
Yes, one of the main reasons KidZone is often so dead is that it's IP's don't resonate with the little kids anymore. Dreamworks characters they care about would help to alleviate that problem. Retheme what's there, save a ton of cash, and use the money to fix that white elephant garbage attraction that occupies so much land in San Francisco.

Barney was a well done show for what it was, one of the better produced in the parks (Adrian LePeltier and co set this up). If they do a retheme (and use the existing stage structure, which is completely set up for a good sing along) then it could be good. But the playground, preshow, and stage area were pretty heavily themed, and I'd hope they keep it. Trolls is very colorful and would draw folks that Barney wouldn't, but the show better be as good of quality as Barney was if they do one. This current "Dreamworks Experience" I'm not sure if they'll even use the show area or playground.

Barney was a well done show for what it was, one of the better produced in the parks (Adrian LePeltier and co set this up). If they do a retheme (and use the existing stage structure, which is completely set up for a good sing along) then it could be good. But the playground, preshow, and stage area were pretty heavily themed, and I'd hope they keep it. Trolls is very colorful and would draw folks that Barney wouldn't, but the show better be as good of quality as Barney was if they do one. This current "Dreamworks Experience" I'm not sure if they'll even use the show area or playground.
I'm fairly certain they'y use the theater, but could be wrong. It just makes sense based on how the press release reads.

Yes, one of the main reasons KidZone is often so dead is that it's IP's don't resonate with the little kids anymore. Dreamworks characters they care about would help to alleviate that problem. Retheme what's there, save a ton of cash, and use the money to fix that white elephant garbage attraction that occupies so much land in San Francisco.

Not to mention that eventually Simpsons/ET/MIB will need a refurb out of necessity.

Not to mention that eventually Simpsons/ET/MIB will need a refurb out of necessity.
Yeah, for a park that has seen a pretty decent amount of work over the past decade or so, it still has a long ways to go.

You can also add Mummy to that list over time as I worry that the stress the ride has taken since 2004 with how much it runs each day running 365 days a year will at the very least cause a need for a track replacement (similar to Hulk) or completely new ride by around the mid-2020's.

I like these little pop up experiences

Keeps the parks fresh and allows for some lesser known Dreamworks Characters to make and appearance

....But my gawd Kidzone is a huge chunk of land with nothing happening

I was just thinking how it packed a pretty good punch in the 90s with Barney, ET, and Fievel.

ET just managed to outlive them all, relivancy-wise.

I was just thinking how it packed a pretty good punch in the 90s with Barney, ET, and Fievel.

ET just managed to outlive them all, relivancy-wise.
Yes, I get why Kidzone happened the way it did and where it did

It's funny the argument of "Universal needs more for little ones" has always followed Universal around, even in the early days