DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024) | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
phase 2 with a Shrek dark ride taking over AA
Stop trying to kill off entertainment. Those animals went on strike for a higher wage & better benefits! They are actors!

If this land gets a dark ride expansion, it'll probably be for a future new Dreamworks IP that takes off
Or... Madagascar (just not Singapore's former "Crate" boat ride of terror!)

Reactions: TylerG and Jwhee
Stop trying to kill off entertainment. Those animals went on strike for a higher wage & better benefits! They are actors!

Or... Madagascar (just not Singapore's former "Crate" boat ride of terror!)
Madagascar appears to be a dead IP at this point.

If they were to do a dark ride in a hypothetical phase 2 wherever they put it, I could easily see something on par with SLOP come to this area. Many fans have been clamoring for Pets to come to USF and USF needs more of those types of rides, so this choice would kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: mccgavin
so this choice would kill two birds with one stone.
Now you're trying to kill the birds too!
Gingerbread Man Shrek GIF

Madagascar isn't "dead", it's still enjoyable. But honestly, I'd rather see them do a "Great Movie Ride" type utilizing the 3 main DreamWorks IPs of this land, but to flesh out the ride, use Madagascar, Dragons cameo, etc..

Although a dark ride like GMR, but with Hello Kitty starring in Universal IPs like her park merch would be awesome .....somewhere in the park

Now you're trying to kill the birds too!
Gingerbread Man Shrek GIF

Madagascar isn't "dead", it's still enjoyable. But honestly, I'd rather see them do a "Great Movie Ride" type utilizing the 3 main DreamWorks IPs of this land, but to flesh out the ride, use Madagascar, Dragons cameo, etc..

Although a dark ride like GMR, but with Hello Kitty starring in Universal IPs like her park merch would be awesome .....somewhere in the park
A catch all DW dark ride would be pretty cool. You could probably also design it in a way with media that can be swapped out over time to incorporate the latest DW film, think DWT at USH but on a much larger scale.

Reactions: Suchomimus
Is there even any room for a potential dark ride expansion here? With the current rumor for Springfield becoming Pokemon soon, I feel that IP is far more deserving of whatever they need in this area of the park rather than reserving land for a potential Dreamworks dark ride

Is there even any room for a potential dark ride expansion here?
Look at aerial image of the park. They have expansion space... hell, the entire back corner is expansion space. Just relocate the original Sprung Tents further back to the perimeter (like the 2 incoming ones) & you've got direct access space without losing house venues

Reactions: Suchomimus
If Universal wanted to build a dark ride with these properties, they would. As @Wesker69 so cleverly pointed out, there's not even a flat ride to be had. :lmao:

I say we take it for what it is which, when you consider all the features together, does look substantial and like we could potentially spend a decent amount of time here when traveling with kids in tow. In fact, we may have some real trouble dragging them out of here.

Is there even any room for a potential dark ride expansion here? With the current rumor for Springfield becoming Pokemon soon, I feel that IP is far more deserving of whatever they need in this area of the park rather than reserving land for a potential Dreamworks dark ride
From what I understood the Pokemon ride replacing Simpsons would take over the old Simpsons show building and the current spot of the spring tents. If that is indeed the case, you could still have ample amount of space behind that to fit in a show build for a DW dark ride if they were willing to remove some more backstage areas. I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Universal was relocating some of the backstage functions in the spring tent area to EU.

• Wow
Reactions: Ahmanet
From what I understood the Pokemon ride replacing Simpsons would take over the old Simpsons show building and the current spot of the spring tents. If that is indeed the case, you could still have ample amount of space behind that to fit in a show build for a DW dark ride if they were willing to remove some more backstage areas. I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Universal was relocating some of the backstage functions in the spring tent area to EU.
I get what you and @Wesker69 are saying about ample space, but if Pokemon were to replace Springfield, you'd have to imagine they're wanting to eventually have that land take up WAY more space than just what is currently Springfield. That's a Potter-level IP. It will move the needle in terms of guest satisfaction and merch sales many multiples beyond what any Dreamworks expansion would be able to.

I've never seen the size of the USB KFP boat ride since the whole land in indoors and it's hard to pick out in aerials, but I'd be curious to see how that ride would look plopped down in or near this Dreamworks land, and how much space it leaves for another potetial IP next door

Reactions: TylerG
I get what you and @Wesker69 are saying about ample space, but if Pokemon were to replace Springfield, you'd have to imagine they're wanting to eventually have that land take up WAY more space than just what is currently Springfield. That's a Potter-level IP. It will move the needle in terms of guest satisfaction and merch sales many multiples beyond what any Dreamworks expansion would be able to.

I've never seen the size of the USB KFP boat ride since the whole land in indoors and it's hard to pick out in aerials, but I'd be curious to see how that ride would look plopped down in or near this Dreamworks land, and how much space it leaves for another potetial IP next door
I would much more bet on Pokemon taking over animal actors for a show or another ride.

I'm holding out hope that depending on the reception of the land Universal does a phase 2 with a Shrek dark ride taking over AA (the IP deserves more than just a play area/meet n greet) or some other dark ride at the back of the land.

I am going to guess that the interior of the DreamWorks Destination was redone to a certain extent to better mask the elements from the Barney days hopefully.
Look at aerial image of the park. They have expansion space... hell, the entire back corner is expansion space. Just relocate the original Sprung Tents further back to the perimeter (like the 2 incoming ones) & you've got direct access space without losing house venues
If anything is going to take over AA or the Sprung Tents area, it's Pokémon. There's no way for DreamWorks to expand into the Sprung Tents area anyway.
This plot has potential.
image (14).jpg

I like how this area's turning out actually. I agree with comments that it's a huge step up from what was there before and for kids it's perfect. The play area looks lot like a different version of Camp Jurassic. With the snack bar and merchandise I'm sure it'll attract more people over here too (they might even notice ET there!).

I noticed a newly planted tree on the far left. I'm thinking that's where heavy machinery was being moved in and how and that part is now done. I wonder though, will the new paths they're making wind through further into this area? It's a little hard to tell.

treepath.png

Im curious and hopeful about the sign. Another great video from @Alicia

Unless they take "Land" and simply attach it to the bottom of the current one I'm hoping it gets swapped out too. I snagged a shot from the video because seeing the old Destination sign and the concept art release today of the current sign reminded me of how terrible it looks with that border.

dreamworkslandsign.png

In fact I like the concept art for the sign over the real one lol. I also don't like the troll signage for the same reason.

if Pokemon were to replace Springfield, you'd have to imagine they're wanting to eventually have that land take up WAY more space than just what is currently Springfield.
You underestimate the size of Springfield. It stretches from Central Park/Animal Actors all the way to the MIB/Sprung Tent hub.
- Simpsons ride
- Kang & Kodos flat ride
- outdoor bar
- Taco Truck
- Food venue
Even without touching the Sprung Tent area & nearby regions beyond, you have a decent chunk of land to utilize. If a land is designed well, you can fit a lot in it

I've never seen the size of the USB KFP boat ride since the whole land in indoors and it's hard to pick out in aerials, but I'd be curious to see how that ride would look plopped down in or near this Dreamworks land
I'll ask my friend who was part of the creative team for Beijing. But honestly, if they wanted to, they can do a redesigned version & not a replica.

Remember, Super Nintendo World -- basically directly as it will appear in Epic Universe -- was once intended for this space.

There's room.
2 story, very dense land. Completely different than how Dreamworks is bing built, no?

You underestimate the size of Springfield. It stretches from Central Park/Animal Actors all the way to the MIB/Sprung Tent hub.
- Simpsons ride
- Kang & Kodos flat ride
- outdoor bar
- Taco Truck
- Food venue
Even without touching the Sprung Tent area & nearby regions beyond, you have a decent chunk of land to utilize. If a land is designed well, you can fit a lot in it
I always thought we'd been told that the emergency access road and backstage route to the backside of fast food blvd couldn't be changed. I'd imagine that drastically limits what you can do with the land. But this is getting into more a discussion about a potential Poke-land build out rather than DW land. :yum

Unless they take "Land" and simply attach it to the bottom of the current one I'm hoping it gets swapped out too. I snagged a shot from the video because seeing the old Destination sign and the concept art release today of the current sign reminded me of how terrible it looks with that border.

In fact I like the concept art for the sign over the real one lol. I also don't like the troll signage for the same reason.
I think most of us agree we hate this signage in the land. But in Alicia's video today, she alluded that the main entrance sign may be getting replaced with the official name/art for "Dreamworks Land" that was first shown off today. So here's hoping it gets replaced with something that is backlit, or gets ride of the ugly white border or both! A backlit DW moon would be a nice touch. I also don't like how they decided to include the Trolls on the sign more in-scale with the other characters. They're hardly noticeable at first glance.

For young kids who may find rides scary there truly is tons to do in these lands ku lily! so so many games, interactive areas, etc

btw do we think they’ll bring over the music from beijings KFP land? it’s SO good

Reactions: Ahmanet
I always thought we'd been told that the emergency access road and backstage route to the backside of fast food blvd couldn't be changed.
Nobody said anything about taking over backstage (yet). Besides, demolish the building & rebuild as a 2 or 3 story building. And the beauty of backstage is that it can be reworked if possible/necessary, as long as there is an access point gate into the park

I'd imagine that drastically limits what you can do with the land.
The the only limitations with what one can do when designing a new area is their own imagination (and of course safety protocol)

Or in the case of DreamWorks, they're looking at a quick revamped area to fill the void of 2024 before Epic Universe opens. Although I'm sure they could've squeezed in an extra ride or two within the land & still open in summer/early fall

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I love a sprucing up, and Shrek’s area looks cool, but it really feels like a mostly lateral change, and some of it feels cheap (hello flat signs?).
Seuss Lagoon is littered with flat signs as well as their marquee attraction. It's just what kids like. If I know I will get the same reaction out of a kid with a flat version of a character as I would with a high tech robotic 10000 then I am going with the cut out. This land is not going to sell tickets, it's (to me) an added value. I am shocked they are even doing this much to be honest. I personally feel this land will be a hit with kids because it hits all things kids like, play structures, water and dance parties. What kid is going to look at Shrek's house and think that the foliage is gonna blow away in a fla storm and be shrewd upon I-4 lol (sorry Jim lol lol).