DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well I guess it’s a good think they’re not building Nintendo anywhere that would require placement for expansion haha
True, that's one of the upsides of it going to Epic. I just don't know if it's ever actually going to get an expansion. Zelda and Pokemon make more sense in other parks, and the Mario section is very built-out making expansion to it quite difficult. I guess Splatoon and Kirby could get mini-lands but I doubt those will happen. What else could they put here?

I don't get it. Springfield is basically a redone food hall with a simple flat and it is hailed in high regard but this area looks to be a more thematically fleshed out, coherent kids area make over with a refreshed interactive water play area and whatever they are doing in the ball pit and some feel it is not enough? I honestly think a flat wouldn't have made much of an impact if it were included in this refresh as they are really doing a lot already from how it is looking. Kids like to play and kids like water and this refreshed land is enhancing both of those elements. What more could you ask for? (I am being rhetorical don't answer lol)
This is actually two different things imo.

Springfield was actually an EXPANSION upon an area that already consisted of The Simpsons ride. It was a cheap way to repurpose and make a ton of money off of an existing F&B structure (and they did it incredibly well), they added Duff Gardens AND they added K&K. They also turned the cardboard cutout carnival games into real carnival games. Minions Land makeover is far more similar to Springfield.

Dreamworks area will have one ride that was pre-existing, but there's no secondary ride coming with this like came with Springfield. To me, if little kids can't ride most things in the park, then this should be a place where there's at least a few rides for them, even if some of them are low capacity flat rides. Kids will still enjoy this area regardless, sure, but it still would've helped. I suspect there's no chance until well into the 2030's that we'd see an actual expansion, if one ever happens here. There's a lot of other things to worry about in the park.

So DreamWorks land isn't an expansion of the DreamWorks dance party? Isn't DreamWorks land a cheap way to repurpose and make money off an existing kids area? We as adults have to realize kids like water and play areas which is why they are seemingly enhancing both those elements in this redo. A flat ride wouldn't have made or break this area. Flat rides are not universal. They are currently building epic with what, 3 flats and two of them are the same?

So DreamWorks land isn't an expansion of the DreamWorks dance party? Isn't DreamWorks land a cheap way to repurpose and make money off an existing kids area? We as adults have to realize kids like water and play areas which is why they are seemingly enhancing both those elements in this redo. A flat ride wouldn't have made or break this area. Flat rides are not universal. They are currently building epic with what, 3 flats and two of them are the same?
A flat ride doesn't make or break the area, no. But it also isn't an expansion of a dance party, really. The land, as a whole, will not be that much different once opened than it was at closure. It will more or less just be new theming, new concrete, paint, and F&B offerings.

These are nice things, don't get me wrong and it definitely makes the park look better, but there's no new ride and the pre-existing ride is a 45 second, extremely low capacity coaster. Barnstormer gets 45 minute waits while having two trains on busy days so hopefully they at least add a second train. I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all. It brings in thematic cohesion and makes a stale part of the part feel new for cheap. But acting like a flat ride wouldn't have helped (I think quite substantially given how crowded I think it will be) is giving Universal a pass, imo.

I think the better conversation we could have here rather than “well SNW was supposed to come here so it feels like a letdown” is “would HTTYD have been a better fit for USF than Epic?”. I don’t see HTTYD as a huge draw for Epic so I feel like that could’ve been replaced with relative ease.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean one can't still prefer one of these plans over the other!

But moving beyond that, this interesting information. Do you know if there was a different layout planned for that initial SNW at EU? Because I'd been under the assumption that what Japan's gotten and what EU is currently getting were lightly modified versions of the KidZone layout.

Or was it just a general "We'd like Nintendo in our new park" directive, and the major design work happened when it was intended for KidZone?

Probably questions better-suited for some other thread!
It was designed to fit Japan and expanded slightly for Epic, but designed with an extra exit on lower level Japan doesn’t have on the right side, so it could be expanded into expansion plot with another warp pipe like Donkey Kong later… if they wanted to.

When plopped into KidZone, which would’ve been a very tight fit, the plans were not changed at all, so that side exit would’ve dumped people right in front of ET entrance.

I hope Universal Creative took a trip down I-Drive to visit Sesame Street at SeaWorld. That land alone is keeping the park afloat. It's arguably the best area in an Orlando theme park for children and should be the gold standard for theme park childrens' areas.

I don't want USF to be submerged in strollers like at MK, but the next logical step for Universal (which they've already started) is to hone in on the families with children market. Flats are an easy/cheap way to inflate the ride count for a demographic that is underserved at Universal.

Until we see it, I know we can't judge it

If it's like the new toontown and has lots of fun elements but no big new rides added great but if its just a few meet and greets and a reskined ride

While it's an improvement just....I think we all wish the parks got more love then that.

Reactions: belloq87
I hope Universal Creative took a trip down I-Drive to visit Sesame Street at SeaWorld. That land alone is keeping the park afloat. It's arguably the best area in an Orlando theme park for children and should be the gold standard for theme park childrens' areas.

I don't want USF to be submerged in strollers like at MK, but the next logical step for Universal (which they've already started) is to hone in on the families with children market. Flats are an easy/cheap way to inflate the ride count for a demographic that is underserved at Universal.

Completely agree....but with some shade! thats about the only thing wrong with Sesame Street. I believe studios needs a bucket full of cheap rides and play area(s) whilst the older children/parents go spent time elsewhere. Fun for all the family! :)

No remote issue if not, but has anyone made one of those visuals with a construction overview of what is expected/rumored to go where (like circled or highlighted)? i always love those lol

I know flats aren’t what people expect for a premium park, but they’re seriously cheap to build for a chain like Universal, and they’re always a hit with families. I feel like adding several to this land should have been a bit of a no brainier really. There’s some really good, fun for all family rides.

My favourite is a ride called Magic Fish at Port Aventura, it’s an absolute riot :lmao:

Surprised no one posted this. I'm assuming this is a concrete project for now. I'd personally *assume* that they'd wait off on a KZ Pizza redo until after HHN, but they would have to work on said surmised concrete project quickly for that to even be open during the event.

Wonder what IP they will go with for this retheme.

Surprised no one posted this. I'm assuming this is a concrete project for now. I'd personally *assume* that they'd wait off on a KZ Pizza redo until after HHN, but they would have to work on said surmised concrete project quickly for that to even be open during the event.

Definitely concrete, it was in pretty bad shape (can't imagine the amount of falls it would have caused during HHN at night and all the booze flowing)

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Nick