DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024) | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Creating on-model 3D sculpts of animated characters is exceptionally difficult even when you have all the resources in the world. Universal (or anyone else) has yet to really pull off convincing/attractive executions of the Dreamworks characters outside maybe a few of the Madagascar figures in the defunct Singapore dark ride.

With that said, I can't lie, this feels like a downgrade. The sign really needs more dynamic energy and dimension, even if they made a conscious decision to stick with flats versus sculpts.

Wow the sign looks exactly like the sign in the concept art. I'm shocked and appalled

/s
So unless we commented on the look of the sign in the concept art, we can't comment on seeing the actual sign in reality?

And surely, if anybody did comment on the sign in the art, they'd be accused of nitpicking.

Seeing the real thing in real space is noteworthy.

Creating on-model 3D sculpts of animated characters is exceptionally difficult even when you have all the resources in the world. Universal (or anyone else) has yet to really pull off convincing/attractive executions of the Dreamworks characters outside maybe a few of the Madagascar figures in the defunct Singapore dark ride.
What do you think makes DreamWorks characters a unique challenge? Universal hasn't had a problem translating Illumination properties (to use another in-house animation example) into three-dimensional space up to this point.

Last edited:
What do you think makes DreamWorks characters a unique challenge? Universal hasn't had a problem translating Illumination properties (to use another in-house animation example) into three-dimensional space up to this point.

Frankly, many of the Dreamworks characters are fairly ugly by animation standards, lacking clear symmetry or pleasurable shapes. They also have tough-to-execute textures (which also have to stand up to the elements), which is why many Dreamworks character sculpts end up coming off so lifeless or "shiny."

The Minions are bulbous and round or oval-shaped, and their rubbery texture is easier to approximate in real world conditions.

It will do the job. The landscaping around it looks great. The foreground cloud shapes being thicker look higher quality than the backing piece.

It's fine.

Way better than the zip-tied on plastic board and truss for DreamWorks Destination. At least this one is solid and not flimsy.

This just looks cheap to me. Certainly better than the Dreamworks Destination sign, but that was a very low bar to clear. The characters on the side are really what bothers me. They just look tacked on and out of place. Almost as if higher-ups mandated they slap them on just in case people didn't know what a Dreamworks land entailed. This looks like it'd fit in better on the side of the Florida Turnpike than inside USF. But I'm still excited for the land regardless. There's gonna be some cool stuff coming here.

So unless we commented on the look of the sign in the concept art, we can't comment on seeing the actual sign in reality?

And surely, if anybody did comment on the sign in the art, they'd be accused of nitpicking.

Seeing the real thing in real space is noteworthy.
I just truly cannot imagine caring much about a sign I’ll walk right pass and almost never take note of.

I probably couldn’t even tell you what the old KidZone sign looked like

Edit: I legitimately do not remember the sign being this big. I feel like Gandalf in Moria

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 27
To be clear, I am saying that the new sign is a downgrade when compared to the previous sign, which I feel was better executed. The land beyond it will (hopefully) be much better.
Yeah I might have misread posts a little.

I feel like Universal could do much better with this sign. However the old one did look really outdated and like a product of its time. I’m thinking in a few months it will be replaced with something better.

Looking at it again, it's the completely unnecessary white/blank space outlining or between some (but not all) of the characters. If they cut the twee signs and eliminated this white space, I think it'd look a lot better. Right now, it looks like an unfinished art file that didn't get exported correctly.

Sign looks good to me ... its only function is to make sure people don't walk past the land - like happens at Diagon every day.

Just hope the Trolls have a concert stage.

Reactions: EnigmaticGear