DreamWorks Land (General Discussion) | Page 74 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

shrek and Panda look good

Trolls...I just wish it was bright like I feel like the reason I don't get excited for Trolls in the park is they always feel like they go cheap with it.....this ride should have paint that lights up at night...I really hope the Texas Park is planning on Trolls being more color at night time

I went last week, and I'll probably end up stopping by tonight again as well. This land is incredibly cute and reasonably well-designed. It's an absolute improvement from what came before, and provides a ton for the little ones to do across a pretty significant amount of open space. The show is okay fun and the different little playspaces like Harold's, Mama Luna's, underneath the Troll Tree, and the place of Perpetual Wetness all do their jobs very fine. As a whole, I still don't think it reaches the heights of If I Ran The Zoo or Camp Jurassic over in IoA, but that's okay. It's at least on a much more even level now than it was.

There are a lot of great new additions, but there were many things across the land that really made it feel like they stretched their entire budget as far as they could. There is a lot to do here, but some of them don't seem the most intricate, well-themed, or frankly expensive. The 3D models in the Feline Fiesta look servicable and budgeted, the lack of licensed music across the whole land is a really strange omission, lack of shade structures around the Trollercoaster, and the general look of Panda Village with it's literal flat sets and panda children, it can look on the cheaper side. That's unfortunate; but even still I can really tell that there was a lot of love and care put into the design of the land from it's designers. Had they had more budget, it could be bumped up several tiers, you can still see the passion that the team had to refresh this area.

There are lots of fun ideas and cute concepts everywhere you look, the refresh to the outside of E.T. looks incredible, Shrek's house is awesome and a wonderful permanent home for the characters. I honestly feel like the Po Kung-Fu Training is the best part of the entire land, that show was an absolute ton of fun to watch, super accessible to anybody, and I'll probably end up returning pretty consistently.

Solid land and refresh with lots of cut corners and budgeting that do a decent bit to take away from the land's incredibly creative ideas, but not quite enough to totally negate them.

I went last week, and I'll probably end up stopping by tonight again as well. This land is incredibly cute and reasonably well-designed. It's an absolute improvement from what came before, and provides a ton for the little ones to do across a pretty significant amount of open space. The show is okay fun and the different little playspaces like Harold's, Mama Luna's, underneath the Troll Tree, and the place of Perpetual Wetness all do their jobs very fine. As a whole, I still don't think it reaches the heights of If I Ran The Zoo or Camp Jurassic over in IoA, but that's okay. It's at least on a much more even level now than it was.

There are a lot of great new additions, but there were many things across the land that really made it feel like they stretched their entire budget as far as they could. There is a lot to do here, but some of them don't seem the most intricate, well-themed, or frankly expensive. The 3D models in the Feline Fiesta look servicable and budgeted, the lack of licensed music across the whole land is a really strange omission, lack of shade structures around the Trollercoaster, and the general look of Panda Village with it's literal flat sets and panda children, it can look on the cheaper side. That's unfortunate; but even still I can really tell that there was a lot of love and care put into the design of the land from it's designers. Had they had more budget, it could be bumped up several tiers, you can still see the passion that the team had to refresh this area.

There are lots of fun ideas and cute concepts everywhere you look, the refresh to the outside of E.T. looks incredible, Shrek's house is awesome and a wonderful permanent home for the characters. I honestly feel like the Po Kung-Fu Training is the best part of the entire land, that show was an absolute ton of fun to watch, super accessible to anybody, and I'll probably end up returning pretty consistently.

Solid land and refresh with lots of cut corners and budgeting that do a decent bit to take away from the land's incredibly creative ideas, but not quite enough to totally negate them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm a bit puzzled: There really isn't any licensed music at all, anywhere in the land? Not even ambient tracks from the Shrek, Trolls, or Panda scores? That's bizarre and in theory something they could easily fix.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm a bit puzzled: There really isn't any licensed music at all, anywhere in the land? Not even ambient tracks from the Shrek, Trolls, or Panda scores? That's bizarre and in theory something they could easily fix.
It seems the only licensed tracks are by the meet and greets at the front of the land. Everywhere else is instrumental music, though they are general instrument covers of some of the recognizable songs.

It seems the only licensed tracks are by the meet and greets at the front of the land. Everywhere else is instrumental music, though they are general instrument covers of some of the recognizable songs.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that sounds fine? I don't need to hear Justin Timberlake singing "dance, dance, dance" on a loop by the Trollercoaster, but an instrumental take on Can't Stop the Feeling feels necessary. The Kung Fu Panda films have terrific instrumental scores, too, so I hope they're taking advantage.

Reactions: Jake S
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that sounds fine? I don't need to hear Justin Timberlake singing "dance, dance, dance" on a loop by the Trollercoaster, but an instrumental take on Can't Stop the Feeling feels necessary. The Kung Fu Panda films have terrific instrumental scores, too, so I hope they're taking advantage.
I can report back with more clarity after tonight, but from my first visit it was a noticable issue at least for myself. There is a tiny Meet n Greet shack near the very front of the land with actual licensed music. It seems like the rest of the land got original scores, which in theory is fine but they all sounded kinda generic and cheap honestly.

I didn't really hear the classic Shrek themes or All-Star, there was just generic poppy / fantasy music mixed with a seemingly digital instrumental of "Accidentally in Love" which together just felt out of place.

I really didn't hear any Trolls pop music at all. There was some in the Dreamworks show, and maybe I missed "Don't Stop the Feeling" or "September" or any of the Bro-Zone songs in the land itself, but I didn't hear them myself personally. It sounded a lot like the generic pop music they play around Legoland FL in their Lego Friends themed land. Honestly, really killed the vibe a lot. Trolls deserved wayyy better.

I honestly didn't notice the score in the Kung Fu Panda section. Maybe it's just because I don't know the music from the movies super well, but I can try to report back tonight if I notice any major motifs or anything.

Again, I think it's simply due to lack of budget. The land is worse without these songs, but it's not like it completely ruins it or anything. They probably had the choice between the Pinnochio animatronic and licensing 12 actual pop songs for the Shrek and Trolls area loops, and chose the animatronic. It's a fixable problem, but to me, it speaks to the lack of funds they had and the ways they had to design around that.

Reactions: Clive
Pinocchio is pretty funny but seems to only have a few lines.

Mama Luna's is pretty funny as well, and Kitty Softpaws was there each time I went and is oddly hot for a foamhead cat. :lmao:

Reactions: WebHead1138
So was there an actual grand opening with stars related to the IPs in attendance? I question because JT was performing in Tampa on opening day, so it almost seemed they were scheduling the opening date around him. I haven't seen anything with cast in attendance though which feels like a missed opportunity for some buzz.

Universal Orlando has opened the new DreamWorks Imagination Cafe near DreamWorks Land, replacing the old KidZone Pizza Co.