Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If I'm reading this right, does this mean that the blue sky concept art suggests replacing Innoventions with nothing? Literally, concrete walkways and trees?

With removing the buildings it makes me wonder what they would do with the tunnels underneath. It would be really interesting if they found a way to open those up as guest areas, walk through this park like setting and take an escalator down to the gift shop for example.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
If they keep the Innoventions buildings they need to be gutted with all new wiring, plumbing, duct work etc. Almost nothing has been updated in 30 years from what I've heard. I can see why they're leaning towards demolition rather than finding a new use for them.

Reactions: Joel
The artwork looks cool and I'm sure those trees will be nice in the sweltering heat of summer.

If they haven't found a purpose at this point for the Innoventions buildings, then they might as well bulldoze them.

I think all of the new space themed announcements are interesting! With all of the recent hype around SpaceX and going to Mars, I think the restaurant will be really relevant in our country for the next couple of decades. Looks really cool to me!

Interesting to note that Martin implied that Mission: Space update/Space restaurant wasn't originally going to be talked about at D23, but was added to fill time after they pulled the Brazil announcement.

As for the placement of the Space restaurant though, expect it to go in-between M:S and Test Track... the Wonders of Life side will not be touched for the time being.

Interesting to note that Martin implied that Mission: Space update/Space restaurant wasn't originally going to be talked about at D23, but was added to fill time after they pulled the Brazil announcement.

As for the placement of the Space restaurant though, expect it to go in-between M:S and Test Track... the Wonders of Life side will not be touched for the time being.

Yeah the big unused multilevel space on the side of the building.

Reactions: Nick
That makes more sense, actually. I prefer that so that it feels like you're dining as part of the attraction/pavilion.

With this new Future World overhaul, how would everyone feel about a new name, as well?

What about the concept of Discovery? World of Discovery? DL Paris and DisneySea both have lands with that concept, but I've been thinking lately that it's the natural next step for Future World. Discovery can imply exploring other worlds, like outer space (M:S) or the depth of the ocean (Living Seas) or a hang glide around the world (Soarin') or alien planets I guess (GotG). But you can also discover new technologies (TT and SE) or discover how your mind and imagination work (Figment).

It would separate the land from the sci-fi/futuristic concept of Tomorrowland, and it would (officially) move the land away from the concept that was causing it to became dated every few years.

And just as a word itself, companies like Disney love "Discovery". It's vague enough that a ton of stuff can fit under its umbrella, but it always implies that something is new, exciting, and engaging, and also has an air of mystery to it. I think this has been where Future World has been headed, and I think a more appropriate name would make the inevitable changes sit better with the fans, and provide a more cohesive vision, which is currently what the land is lacking.

I'm also really interested in any other name ideas y'all feel would work, or if you think Future World should remain.

With this new Future World overhaul, how would everyone feel about a new name, as well?

What about the concept of Discovery? World of Discovery? DL Paris and DisneySea both have lands with that concept, but I've been thinking lately that it's the natural next step for Future World. Discovery can imply exploring other worlds, like outer space (M:S) or the depth of the ocean (Living Seas) or a hang glide around the world (Soarin') or alien planets I guess (GotG). But you can also discover new technologies (TT and SE) or discover how your mind and imagination work (Figment).

It would separate the land from the sci-fi/futuristic concept of Tomorrowland, and it would (officially) move the land away from the concept that was causing it to became dated every few years.

And just as a word itself, companies like Disney love "Discovery". It's vague enough that a ton of stuff can fit under its umbrella, but it always implies that something is new, exciting, and engaging, and also has an air of mystery to it. I think this has been where Future World has been headed, and I think a more appropriate name would make the inevitable changes sit better with the fans, and provide a more cohesive vision, which is currently what the land is lacking.

I'm also really interested in any other name ideas y'all feel would work, or if you think Future World should remain.
I think a new name is likely.

Discoveryland is the name that always circles about, but who knows. Maybe Future World stays, but as I said recently, Disney wants to sort of separate themselves from the concept of "Future". By doing that, they aren't under the pressure of it seeming outdated so fast.

Changing the name to something like Discoveryland would make that area of the park more "timeless" which is one of the main points Chapek said they wanted to hit on for the Epcot redo.

Future World is meant to be a catalyst, an impetus, a sort of cohesive call to action. It's meant to present the past, our accomplishments, and glimpses of the future that is possible with hard work and innovation.

It's meant to instill an idea in people that things are possible.

How to name that, im really not sure. The hive of ingenuity?

It needs to remain focused on humanity - otherwise Epcot is irrecoverable. People talk about the city that EPCOT was going to be but Epcot as a park was born from the EPCOT Forums. In the 70's Disney hosted these summits of folks on the cutting edge of science and technology and got them together to discuss the future and where things were going and how they should be handled.

These forums had themes to keep them from being free for alls. Transportation, energy, communications... That's where Future World's pavilions come from.

Two names I think could work - Communicore (emphasis on it being the Community Core) or Global Neighborhood. Both give a sense of ingrained humanity and adjacency to other concepts.

It needs to remain focused on humanity - otherwise Epcot is irrecoverable
I think Epcot is already irrecoverable. Honestly I would be happy to see the name Future World go as it's really an insult to what used to be called Future World.