Fantastic Beasts: Secrets Of Dumbledore | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantastic Beasts: Secrets Of Dumbledore

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it may be a Dumbledore situation or a Dark Knight Racheal situation.

Am I the only one who thinks Johnny Depp is overrated or....
Incredibly overrated.
Really? I think Depp has turned in some phenomenal performances. What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Chocolat were great movies. He has created some of film's most memorable quirky characters like Edward Scissorhands and Cap't Jack Sparrow. Sometimes he tries too hard and it's kind of awkward or down right bad. But when it works it's great.

Depp is great when used correctly and doesn't have weird makeup and hair to purely use as crutches. His recent turns in BLACK MASS and MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS were very, very good.

I even thought he was a solid Grindelwald who brought more nuance to the role than was actually there on the page.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Fantastic Beast was a decent single movie story, but they didn’t need to build a 5 movie arc over a guy who chases animals. They shoehorned Dumbledore and Grindelwald in the first place and it’s stretching apart at the seams.

They should’ve had spin offs over single characters and their stories and have them cross connect over multiple films with minor side plots. (Yes this is the MCU in a nutshell)

Not a chance, sadly. I'm as done with JKR as anyone else, but as long as there's a dollar to squeeze, WB is in it, as every time another movie comes out, the WW that's gone before is more free money.

• Sad
Reactions: Tristan
With how expensive these movies are to make and the lack of audience interest, I honestly can’t imagine these movies being profitable going forward.

Reactions: Grabnar
Hilarious seeming this from Time, one of the most milquetoast magazines out there.

EDIT: Maybe they changed style recently.

EDIT 2: Also I thought it was interesting that they mentioned the Cursed Child, a play that reads absolutely terribly on the page. However, its completely amazing on stage yet also, at least from the performances I saw, seems to completely downplay the gay subtext of the screenplay. So maybe not the first time gay subtext has been downplayed in this franchise? idk

Last edited:
I can imagine that the special effects make THE CURSED CHILD an absolutely incredible live experience.

But the story and characterizations are beyond saving.
Exactly this but they somehow make it work. It's half a stunt spectacular and half a Potter Parody hour (Moaning Myrtle's scene is amazing).

Reactions: belloq87
Hilarious seeming this from Time, one of the most milquetoast magazines out there.

EDIT: Maybe they changed style recently.

EDIT 2: Also I thought it was interesting that they mentioned the Cursed Child, a play that reads absolutely terribly on the page. However, its completely amazing on stage yet also, at least from the performances I saw, seems to completely downplay the gay subtext of the screenplay. So maybe not the first time gay subtext has been downplayed in this franchise? idk
With how expensive these movies are to make and the lack of audience interest, I honestly can’t imagine these movies being profitable going forward.
Well, WB has announced they're recasting and starting shooting soon, so there's at least one more coming.

Well, WB has announced they're recasting and starting shooting soon, so there's at least one more coming.
I think Warner does this movie then throw in the towel when it (inevitably) underperforms. Then they do a big rethink of what they want to do with the Potter franchise. Assuming JK allows it, it's definitely time to bring in someone who has a fresh take on the world and can make a movie that's dramatically different in tone, setting, and characters.

I think Warner does this movie then throw in the towel when it (inevitably) underperforms. Then they do a big rethink of what they want to do with the Potter franchise. Assuming JK allows it, it's definitely time to bring in someone who has a fresh take on the world and can make a movie that's dramatically different in tone, setting, and characters.
If you're right and this ends the FB franchise, I suspect WB'll find a way to divest their version of WW moving forward from Rowling's, similar to the way the LOTR books and movies have been kept separate in terms of licensing, though obviously for different reasons.

If you're right and this ends the FB franchise, I suspect WB'll find a way to divest their version of WW moving forward from Rowling's, similar to the way the LOTR books and movies have been kept separate in terms of licensing, though obviously for different reasons.
Yeah WW isn't going away anytime soon. Before they sold off the LEGO franchise to Universal, they said that WW would be one of the main pillars for their box office success. To say that out of everything you own, and a franchise which basically ended in 2012; says to me they're gonna do an origin story or Ilvermony.

Reactions: RevFreako
Yeah WW isn't going away anytime soon. Before they sold off the LEGO franchise to Universal, they said that WW would be one of the main pillars for their box office success. To say that out of everything you own, and a franchise which basically ended in 2012; says to me they're gonna do an origin story or Ilvermony.
DO.

HOGWARTS.

Christ... how can they not figure out people don’t care about stuff beyond what we’re already aware of. Do a story about Godric, Rowena, Helga, and Salazar meeting and forming Hogwarts. Do kid Dumbledore going to Hogwarts. Do Marauders at Hogwarts. Click click bloody click Hogwarts.

DO.

HOGWARTS.

Christ... how can they not figure out people don’t care about stuff beyond what we’re already aware of. Do a story about Godric, Rowena, Helga, and Salazar meeting and forming Hogwarts. Do kid Dumbledore going to Hogwarts. Do Marauders at Hogwarts. Click click bloody click Hogwarts.
I mean, The Mandalorian has showed a fan-base can care about completely new set of characters.

If WB can’t get people to care about more than just Harry and Hogwarts, than that’s their own fault from a creative issue.