Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

How in hell did you know this? I just looked at images of the OW and it looks exactly like what they are doing. I am really asking, how did you know this?

Pretty sure someone posted a pic of the OW on here a while back saying it looked like what they were building.

It's meant to have a whitewash look. It's going to look like the Oriental Warehouse building in San Francisco.
I don't think they will match the paint of the lettering on the OW. If they wanted to they could just paint it solid. Looks like they are going for a weathered - faded look and don't want to build it up too far. Remember how long they took on the window selection.

I agree. This is kind of a weird place for UOR right now- they literally have nothing confirmed/announced and nothing that is even being constructed right now.
We have F&F - which will be here in 10 months or less. And that's it. Normally at least 2 projects are being worked on at once. Yet here we sit with not a shovel in the ground anywhere else...
Let's get a move on it Uni- so many rumors but nothing realized yet.

To take this a step further, what if F&F opened this year as originally scheduled? I'm getting the impression that they could have had it ready for this year but had decided to pace it out so 2018 isn't a blank year.

You know things are dull for me on here when I am commenting in this thread. That said, it is fascinating to watch them paint the logo on the brick face. First the dark outline and the translucent inner white-wash. Now they have gone over the latter with solid scratchy white. What's next?

Wait, is this being painted on? I'd assumed that this was just a chalk outline for a 3D sign.

I don't think they will match the paint of the lettering on the OW. If they wanted to they could just paint it solid. Looks like they are going for a weathered - faded look and don't want to build it up too far.

Well, the word "ORIENTAL" is purdy darned weathered! UC is just taking it a step further.

oriental-warehouse-loft-edmonds-lee-architects-9987-9281114.jpg

How in hell did you know this? I just looked at images of the OW and it looks exactly like what they are doing. I am really asking, how did you know this?

Just researched San Francisco facades and found the one that matched:lmao:

Pretty sure someone posted a pic of the OW on here a while back saying it looked like what they were building.

The link to this article on Park Pass was posted

Duh! Sorry - overlooked.

That's true- they said it is coming... one day. :D In the meantime we aren't told where (although we know), we aren't told when and nothing has started- not even a permit yet.

I think it's two-fold.
1) We're coming off a UOR that had Volcano Bay, Kong, Fallon, F&F, Toothsome, CB towers, Sapphire falls, parking/infrastructure changes- hell, even a coke robot building that ended up not being a coke robot all happening at the same time.
Now.... zzzzz.
2) Disney is building TSL and SWL in addition to the couple of hotel and infrastructure changes they are having- but moreso- they are about to have a plethora of announcements.

It's just tough to wrap my head around the massive reversal that has just taken place in such a short amount of time. It feels like this time last year I was flabergasted at how much Uni could do before Disney opened pandora. Now I'm left fearful of how little Uni could add in the time between Pandora and SWL
They just opened Fallon and VB. They have F&F, Aventura, and Dry n Tame going now. And by Christmas there will be major projects in all 3 parks.

All while working on the south property, Hollywood, and Beijing.

Universal Parks & Resorts is not idling.

I'm counting on the south property starting soon because Comcast has scaled back a bit in the current parks from earlier promises.

They just opened Fallon and VB. They have F&F, Aventura, and Dry n Tame going now. And by Christmas there will be major projects in all 3 parks.

All while working on the south property, Hollywood, and Beijing.

Universal Parks & Resorts is not idling.

I know you know what you're talking about Disneyhead.

That said- we've heard SNL and DC were going to start soon for a year and neither have.
Also- has work actually started at dry and tame?
It's just tough to see Disney about to have major E-tickets and lands being realized in 3 of their parks just after opening an E and New land in DAK.

It just seems like a turn of events is all. I know Uni has a lot on the docket, I suppose I'm just being impatient.

That said- we've heard SNL and DC were going to start soon for a year and neither have..

Soon is relative in theme park talk.

Also- has work actually started at dry and tame?.

They've been demolishing the water park, and only got approval from the city for the project a month ago.

It's just tough to see Disney about to have major E-tickets and lands being realized in 3 of their parks just after opening an E and New land in DAK.

Have they started on Rat? On Guardians? On TRON? ;)

I know you know what you're talking about Disneyhead.

That said- we've heard SNL and DC were going to start soon for a year and neither have.
Also- has work actually started at dry and tame?

It just seems like a turn of events is all. I know Uni has a lot on the docket, I suppose I'm just being impatient.

Nothing has even been officially announced and Disney take forever to build anything.

Nothing has even been officially announced and Disney take forever to build anything.
Correct. Disagree on the Disney takes forever to build. Outside of Transformers- build time is pretty similar between Uni and Disney. The difference is how and when they announce- Disney typically announcing before they even have final plans (like Avatar) whereas Universal will announce after something has already closed down, plans are finalized, and construction has already started.
We are, of course, experience the typical Disney version with Nintendo right now- as we still await construction to start years after it was announced in May 2015. This is a pretty big departure from how Uni has done it in the past.

But the cliff notes of all that is- from the shovel hitting the ground to actually riding the ride, it's pretty similar between the two.

Correct. Disagree on the Disney takes forever to build. Outside of Transformers- build time is pretty similar between Uni and Disney. The difference is how and when they announce- Disney typically announcing before they even have final plans (like Avatar) whereas Universal will announce after something has already closed down, plans are finalized, and construction has already started.
We are, of course, experience the typical Disney version with Nintendo right now- as we still await construction to start years after it was announced in May 2015. This is a pretty big departure from how Uni has done it in the past.

But the cliff notes of all that is- from the shovel hitting the ground to actually riding the ride, it's pretty similar between the two.
Nintendo is like Pandora in that pretty much as soon as the ink was dry with a 3rd party, an intentions announcement happened. It's because projects involving a 3rd party will come out in the quarters earning statement so they go ahead make make it official.

Also, a lot of the "Disney is slow" comes from closing things like the backlot tour almost 2 years before breaking ground on TSL. But you are correct that from ground breaking to opening with these huge E Ticket lands, it is 2.5-3 years at both places.