Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF)

Not gonna lie kinda confused how everybody loses their minds over walk through attractions for HHN but when rumors of a walkthrough attraction happen people immediately wanna say it will suck? Let’s be honest everybody has been screaming shrek needs replaced for the last decade, let’s not judge whatever this attraction is until we actually see it in person

I feel like a moving walkway would limit any notion of interactivity…which effectively makes it a pointless experience. Now I actually want it to be a legit WALK THROUGH lol.

A moving walkway works for The Crown Jewels at The Tower of London. But that’s a straight line…

Will you board a walkway, then get off to board another one in a different direction? Or is the moving walkway an aspect of just one part of the walk through.

Not gonna lie kinda confused how everybody loses their minds over walk through attractions for HHN but when rumors of a walkthrough attraction happen people immediately wanna say it will suck? Let’s be honest everybody has been screaming shrek needs replaced for the last decade, let’s not judge whatever this attraction is until we actually see it in person
Realistically I don’t blame people for a knee jerk reaction on this one. People have been waiting forever for better utilization of this space, and even I have to question whether this is *actually* better, or just better because it isn’t Shrek. And hopefully the end product is better than it sounds. Because “walk(stand?) through based on bad movie that is basically TSMM without the ride” doesn’t sound all that great

if they had just sold popcorn buckets like disney, it would have financed SLOP
Truly, I don’t get what’s stopping them from doing SLOP. I know the running rumor is the sequel disappointing scared them off, but they’re basing a whole land off of HTTYD in EU, and that franchise dipped largely with box office returns with every movie.

Truly, I don’t get what’s stopping them from doing SLOP. I know the running rumor is the sequel disappointing scared them off, but they’re basing a whole land off of HTTYD in EU, and that franchise dipped largely with box office returns with every movie.

I’m of the opinion that box office really means little if it’s a good ride. SLOP is good. It feels like a classic, timeless dark ride. You don’t have to love the movie to enjoy the ride.

But I still think they need to build a full Minion Dark ride and axe Minion Mayhem…

That's what I'd like to see, but evidently it's not in the cards. I really like what they did with SLOP in Hollywood, though it's a little downgraded from the original trackless version.
it wasn't even planned for Orlando when the initial concept/drawings/plans came out. They only had the SLOP building that appeared to go in the space Nintendo Hollywood now occupies.
But even that slightly larger version could have easily fit where Shrek is in Orlando.

That’s not why they’re not putting Pets here. I wouldn’t count out Pets quite yet for Orlando. Someday.

That's what I'd like to see, but evidently it's not in the cards. I really like what they did with SLOP in Hollywood, though it's a little downgraded from the original trackless version.
it wasn't even planned for Orlando when the initial concept/drawings/plans came out. They only had the SLOP building that appeared to go in the space Nintendo Hollywood now occupies.
But even that slightly larger version could have easily fit where Shrek is in Orlando.
If you ask me, the omnimover version we got was an upgrade over the trackless version.

I’m of the opinion that box office really means little if it’s a good ride. SLOP is good. It feels like a classic, timeless dark ride. You don’t have to love the movie to enjoy the ride.

Exactly. I've never seen either of the SLOP movies, and I think the ride looks absolutely wonderful. Good craftsmanship and execution can override an IP's relevance (or lack thereof).

That’s not why they’re not putting Pets here.
73e449bc88bb84afbe3806cbc17ac8b7_w200.gif

That’s not why they’re not putting Pets here. I wouldn’t count out Pets quite yet for Orlando. Someday.

If you ask me, the omnimover version we got was an upgrade over the trackless version.
I like the omnimover story line a bit better than the first two versions. But the chasing and dueling of vehicles that was going on with the first trackless version (the second trackless version was toned down somewhat) seemed
to add a lot of excitement and some thrill to the attraction. Plus, there was more interaction with some of the AA's.The trackless version was also listed as having a hourly capacity of over 1900, which appears significantly higher than the omnimover is getting...That said, I'd love to see the SLOP omnimover in Orlando. It turned out much better than I expected.

I think it’s great that Hollywood gets to keep SLOP to itself for awhile. Let that park have its own unique attractions for a change. At this point it seems like rumors are conflicting as far as what type of “walkthrough” this will be.

I’m of the opinion that they might as well add full ride vehicles if they are worried about capacity. Just make the necessary investment and go all in on the concept.

With the amount of stuff that needs to be replaced at USF, I don't see how the Shrek replacement/Villain Con leaves before the resort's 40th. Simpsons (and presumably MIB) will be gone before the end of the decade, and Rockit needs to be retracked/replaced with a new coaster sooner than later. Let's not forget about KidZone either.
From what I’ve heard, the contract for The Simpsons is for 20 years. So it ends in 2028. As much as I love The Simpsons, and as much as I don’t want them to leave, I don’t see the contract being extended. That’s if the contract truly does end that year. I don’t see MIB being replaced for a while. I’m hoping for a huge overhaul for the ride soon. Rockit isn’t going anywhere. It’ll probably get retracked like Hulk. KidZone needs to go. Now.

How, on earth, does VillainCon keep getting worse. This is such a troll job on UC’s behalf.
I dunno. I’m intrigued. “Moving ramps” is just the right amount of insane to get me interested. I have no idea how they will pull it off.

Let us remember, that originally this was being discussed as big trade show floor where trackless ride vehicles would randomly move across the floor from booth to booth. Some would show something off. Some you get to shoot at. The computer decides where each RV goes so the order isn’t set in stone but you always see them all each time.

Then, the company ditched all trackless rides in the pipeline. Pets, this, the original MoM for Epic. All of them.

So, they thought, screw it, who needs a ride vehicle. Just let people walk from booth to booth. Instead of a big open trade show door, we organize it like a HHN house with rooms and corridors. Easy peasy.

And then supposedly to increase throughput they decide to add “moving ramps.”

Ironically, should’ve stuck with the original ride version.

I dunno. I’m intrigued. “Moving ramps” is just the right amount of insane to get me interested. I have no idea how they will pull it off.

Let us remember, that originally this was being discussed as big trade show floor where trackless ride vehicles would randomly move across the floor from booth to booth. Some would show something off. Some you get to shoot at. The computer decides where each RV goes so the order isn’t set in stone but you always see them all each time.

Then, the company ditched all trackless rides in the pipeline. Pets, this, the original MoM for Epic. All of them.

So, they thought, screw it, who needs a ride vehicle. Just let people walk from booth to booth. Instead of a big open trade show door, we organize it like a HHN house with rooms and corridors. Easy peasy.

I am not as in with the universal loop.

Why did they scratch all trackless concepts?

It seems like they’re just doing a lot of extra work and thought processing that they don’t need. Trackless ride for this makes SO much sense thematically if it were a trackless system. The moving walking way sounds like a public disaster.

Could they have not retrofitted/tweaked the original idea to be used with some other ride system?

The drop in ambition level from "trackless dark ride through various -- I assume mostly physical? -- vignettes" to "have people walk/stand through Midway Mania corridors" is fairly pronounced. It seems like there should have been a middle ground in there somewhere.

I was surprised that Niles on Theme Park Insider had no idea about the Minion concept. He was speculating maybe SLOP or KFP show from Hollywood. . Anymore, he seems completely out of the loop on Universal.
I can't recall the last time he had any legit new info.

Last edited: