Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

Do we actually know that the Surf Coaster is just a 2 across launched Blitz Coaster rip off?

What if it's a 2 across launched stand up Blitz Coaster rip off? Imagine doing Velocicoaster standing up.

That zero g roll would be something standing up. Do any standing coasters have a top hat?

Do we actually know that the Surf Coaster is just a 2 across launched Blitz Coaster rip off?

What if it's a 2 across launched stand up Blitz Coaster rip off? Imagine doing Velocicoaster standing up.
If I'm a betting man, it's an affordable sit down launch coaster from B&M

If I'm a betting man, it's an affordable sit down launch coaster from B&M

I just wonder how much of a thrill factor it’s going to have. “Affordable” doesn’t scream intensity to me. I hope it’s significantly larger and more thrilling than Ice Breaker looks, otherwise that would feel a tad redundant.

I'd assume the scale of this will be similar to Dollywood's B&M and Holiday World's B&M-- smaller but fun and more than anything as a first a "proof of concept"

I just wonder how much of a thrill factor it’s going to have. “Affordable” doesn’t scream intensity to me. I hope it’s significantly larger and more thrilling than Ice Breaker looks, otherwise that would feel a tad redundant.
I think the park would really dictate how intense they want something. There are cost effective rides that are quite intense (literally almost all of RMCs library haha)

Emperor is a good example of a more affordable version of their Dive model, but still hits all the same notes relatively.

The Surf Coaster will probably be comparable to Manta at SW San Diego but with B&M track and perhaps more inversions

If I was a betting man, again lol...I'd see Sea World entering into some kind of prototype deal with B&M to test out newer models

The relationship is already there

Has a legitimate/previously reliable source said that surf is a launch coaster? I’ve heard a lot of people run with that, but I have yet to see (or at least remember) anyone saying that beyond speculation.
Considering how literal B&M’s model names have been in the past, I really struggle to see how “surf” translates to “intamin blitz B&M”

EDIT: Just saw that the B&M lien called it a launch coaster, but still wondering whether it’s actually that straight forward.

Has a legitimate/previously reliable source said that surf is a launch coaster? I’ve heard a lot of people run with that, but I have yet to see (or at least remember) anyone saying that beyond speculation.
Considering how literal B&M’s model names have been in the past, I really struggle to see how “surf” translates to “intamin blitz B&M”

I’m not a legitimate source, but my guess is that it’s basically a standing version of Thunderbird that utilizes their newly patented standing restraint.

The first B&M version of anything seems to be a half to two-thirds scale version of where the coaster style eventually goes (Batman The Ride... Oblivion is basically just a lift hill, drop, and circle back to the station), so I doubt it would top Mako’s top speed or have anything more than 1-3 inversions. Now that I think of it, making a penguin faster than a mako shark would also kinda ruin all the marketing for Mako.

I’m not a legitimate source, but my guess is that it’s basically a standing version of Thunderbird that utilizes their newly patented standing restraint.

The first B&M version of anything seems to be a half to two-thirds scale version of where the coaster style eventually goes (Batman The Ride... Oblivion is basically just a lift hill, drop, and circle back to the station), so I doubt it would top Mako’s top speed or have anything more than 1-3 inversions. Now that I think of it, making a penguin faster than a mako shark would also kinda ruin all the marketing for Mako.

I thought penguin was just the codename. It would also be odd to have two penguin named attractions are different locations in the park.

I thought penguin was just the codename. It would also be odd to have two penguin named attractions are different locations in the park.
That’s true - it is probably just a code name. But... Ice Breaker and Wild Arctic are over in that corner of the park and it wouldn’t shock me if they gave up on the ride portion of Antarctica, so you never really know.

Two days ago there was some movement around the gates next to the canal by the Discovery Cove entrance. That's where they stored and staged the pieces of Mako when it was under construction. There were a couple of trucks there and it looked like they were coming out of the gates to that storage lot. Today when I went by I noticed a single shipping container back in the lot-- not sure if it was there before. That could be the overseas shipment they received from B&M before the lockdown.

That’s true - it is probably just a code name. But... Ice Breaker and Wild Arctic are over in that corner of the park and it wouldn’t shock me if they gave up on the ride portion of Antarctica, so you never really know.
If they care about the theme they've been going with, then they should not go with Penguin. The Wild Arctic / Ice Breaker / Killer Whale area all goes with the Arctic Circle theme. The Penguin doesn't live there.

But I'll be honest, SWO probably only slightly cares more than Funspot would.

I guess it's possible that it's something for Dollywood, but if it is this would be a HUGE expenditure for them and out of character for that park in price tag. The one B&M they have is small and I just can't picture them spending the money for a B&M hyper.

Since B&M already has a contract with SeaWorld for a coaster (and I thought they had started fabrication on it over a year ago) I think it makes sense for it to be their coaster.

I guess it's possible that it's something for Dollywood, but if it is this would be a HUGE expenditure for them and out of character for that park in price tag. The one B&M they have is small and I just can't picture them spending the money for a B&M hyper.

Since B&M already has a contract with SeaWorld for a coaster (and I thought they had started fabrication on it over a year ago) I think it makes sense for it to be their coaster.
It seems like B&M is jumping into the smaller more affordable versions of other offerings as well as an affordable launch coaster...allegedly....

Emperor is a good example of a more affordable version of the dive machine

It seems like SWP is in some kind of partnership with them and there is already a long standing relationship built with SWP and B&M

I was just playing a little devil's advocate