Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm whelmed. The trailer looks like it was meant to be a draft from marketing department and someone with too much approval power was like "looks great, ship it!". lol

It's been a long time since I've been on a standing coaster but don't recall it being the most comfortable thing. Maybe this will be better?

Do not get too excited because things could be cut, but oh my there's theming for the station operator booths:
View attachment 16442
There isn't much left to cut without just removing it. At least this coaster's station will have a roof. That's still the plan, right? :look:

Reactions: Disneyhead
I’m… intrigued. To me, the worst part of a standing coaster was the positive Gs on your legs if you weren’t properly stanced. Those were always worse on the first drop. A launch (of something akin to an out and back layout) allows those Gs to be minimized.

It’ll be something wildly different at least.

Reactions: Sithina
Oh god, no.

I don't care if it's far more comfortable. Stand up is just a non starter to me and such an odd and frankly dumb riding position that adds absolutely nothing to the ride experience.

No surprise to me they are burying the announcement. I really can't get behind this. Should have just been a wing coaster or something basic instead of trying to save a buck by buying a prototype and maybe being able to claim some bs never before seen label.

I'm not usually one to react so strongly to a teaser of something I don't like, but I feel strongly that stand up was not something to revisit. I like Manta, but I ride it far less than Mako because of the riding orientation. Even in that case I see the value though. Stand up just never added anything of value. An Intamin manta clone or wave braker would have been so much more interesting to me. In all honesty, I can't believe B&M is actually interested in trying to continue to pursue this. Seems like they just ran out of ideas to me.

Edit: Non starter isn't correct. I will undoubtedly ride it at least once. If my legs are have the bear the forces, I will not ride again.

Last edited:
I’ve had free entry to SeaWorld for the better part of a decade and while I went to HOS last year once, I haven’t actually gone to SeaWorld during daily park hours since before Infinity Falls opened and tbh, I’m underwhelmed at this announcement.

They had so much space to work with and THIS is what they chose to do with it? Hope it’s worth it.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Glad to see someone is!
My only concern really is capacity, since these trains would be only 16 people. I have never done a stand-up coasters, and I know they were not well received because of discomfort, but I imagine this may be a rather different restraint. One thing I wonder though, who came up with the idea? Did SeaWorld approach B&M, or did B&M come up with a new stand-up design and pitch it do SeaWorld?

Basically the only marketing leg this thing has to stand on is “first of its kind.” But it’s not really the first of its kind, it’s just the first iteration of that specific stand-up ride vehicle. I suspect top speed, number of inversions, length, etc. are all underwhelming.

Also lol that video - basically a bunch of iMovie stock footage nonsense.

If they fix the comfort issue (which B&M most likely will), this will be a super awesome ride. I don't get the hate. I rode Riddler Revenge at Magic Mountain recently and it was really fun despite the restraints. This ride looks to be a tamer but more comfortable version of that. It's super unique and fits the theme of the park beautifully (it's surfing for crying out loud). Let's see how it rides first before calling it a disappointment.

Basically the only marketing leg this thing has to stand on is “first of its kind.” But it’s not really the first of its kind, it’s just the first iteration of that specific stand-up ride vehicle. I suspect top speed, number of inversions, length, etc. are all underwhelming.

Also lol that video - basically a bunch of iMovie stock footage nonsense.
The BGTFans article and the renderings based on it seem to be very accurate if you want to see what it might look like. You're right that the ride is designed for comfort. Nothing special.

If they fix the comfort issue (which B&M most likely will), this will be a super awesome ride. I don't get the hate. I rode Riddler Revenge at Magic Mountain recently and it was really fun despite the restraints. This ride looks to be a tamer but more comfortable version of that. It's super unique and fits the theme of the park beautifully (it's surfing for crying out loud). Let's see how it rides first before calling it a disappointment.

Theming could have been done for any coaster as they have already done. There is a reason most of the stand ups have been converted; and if they weren't, it was because the park already had a competing B&M. As of now, this seems short sighted and even worse now that Ice Breaker isn't the family ride it was meant to be. Y'know what would have given me the sensation of surfing: swinging seats (as countering the forces of a wave is exactly what surfing is really about). Im thinking Intamin's higher riding position with swinging. That would have been enough and wouldn't have me worried about comfort. If B&M could have provided that along with a more traditional loading style, combined with the launch that would have been something novel. As it stands, this just revisits an idea that was never good. If there were other degrees of articulation, I'm pretty sure they would have highlighted that. Like I said, if my legs have to withstand the forces I'm out. I have begged to be let off every stand up I have been on.

I think they had much better options (particularly a true family coaster especially when you consider the fact that they have multiple great examples in Australia and the US), but let's see what happens.

I don't think the Sea World company has really earned the benefit of the doubt as of yet. Odd announcement timing and not even a mention of the stand up (out) feature is pretty telling. I can't ignore all the signs.

Edit: And lol, Sea World had to include JTA and Kraken VR to lie to their customers again about this being the 7th coaster. In fairness, I would consider JTA if i was marketing, but jesus after all the GotG bs I've seen on yt that seems so much more shitty.

Last edited:
The BGTFans article and the renderings based on it seem to be very accurate if you want to see what it might look like. You're right that the ride is designed for comfort. Nothing special.

Theming could have been done for any coaster as they have already done. There is a reason most of the stand ups have been converted; and if they weren't, it was because the park already had a competing B&M. As of now, this seems short sighted and even worse now that Ice Breaker isn't the family ride it was meant to be. Y'know what would have given me the sensation of surfing: swinging seats (as countering the forces of a wave is exactly what surfing is really about). Im thinking Intamin's higher riding position with swinging. That would have been enough and wouldn't have me worried about comfort. If B&M could have provided that along with a more traditional loading style, combined with the launch that would have been something novel. As it stands, this just revisits an idea that was never good. If there were other degrees of articulation, I'm pretty sure they would have highlighted that. Like I said, if my legs have to withstand the forces I'm out. I have begged to be let off every stand up I have been on.

I think they had much better options (particularly a true family coaster especially when you consider the fact that they have multiple great examples in Australia and the US), but let's see what happens.

I don't think the Sea World company has really earned the benefit of the doubt as of yet. Odd announcement timing and not even a mention of the stand up (out) feature is pretty telling. I can't ignore all the signs.

Edit: And lol, Sea World had to include JTA and Kraken VR to lie to their customers again about this being the 7th coaster. In fairness, I would consider JTA if i was marketing, but jesus after all the GotG bs I've seen on yt that seems so much more shitty.
We don't know how comfortable this ride will be yet, that's the whole point. There hasn't been a new standup built in 20 years. We don't know the advancements they made with it. It's way too early to tell.

This is like assuming every new generation Vekoma invert will be uncomfortable just because Vekoma built a bunch of SLC's 20 years ago.