Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2015

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
Hey guys! So, when Grinchmas moved to Universal Plaza once that opened, the event wasn't as grandiose as it was in previous years in the western arena. It was also assumed that it isn't as big anymore due to construction. But even once all park construction is finished, do you think a bigger Grinchmas event would even be able to fit inside Universal Plaza?

Also, according to YouTube user briberry (she's been filming the Disney and Universal cast members/characters for years), she said that The Grinch told her that he's not sure if he'll be out or back at all next year (December 2015)...I found that interesting...hope that isn't true.

Either way, I hope that USH's Christmas events only get bigger and better. The Wizarding Word will add so much to it as well.

I think it would be such a huge mistake to get rid of the event altogether. Last year's event was a vast improvement from 2013's, and the absence of construction walls by this December will only expand the amount of space they'll have to decorate. What they might want to consider doing is stretching the event's footprint to reach the Castle Theatre (whether that be the location of a new tree lighting, I don't know).

Grinchmas won't go anywhere for while. If we can handle an event with construction walls, we can certainly handle one without them.

In addition to Grinchmas, we should have a Harry Potter Christmas as well. Glitter Hogsmeade with fake snow and at night have a fake snow machine go off.

Grinchmas won't go anywhere for while. If we can handle an event with construction walls, we can certainly handle one without them.

In addition to Grinchmas, we should have a Harry Potter Christmas as well. Glitter Hogsmeade with fake snow and at night have a fake snow machine go off.
I would hope the event never goes anywhere, it's very different from other Christmas offerings and is just wonderful. Always been my favorite. I personally hope it only gets bigger and better. I just found it odd that someone who spoke with The Grint mentioned that he said that he doesn't know yet if The Grinch will be back for 2015. Very curious.

As for Hogsmeade and glittery snowy rooftops....you might want to have a peak at some of the facades as they are right now ;)

As for a Snow Machine, plans for Orlando originally included a snow machine for the whole year, but it was cut from the project for unknown reasons. The Wizarding Decorations in Orlando are extremely light from what I've seen. It'd be nice to see a bigger Christmas for the Wizarding World, as the one in the books and movies was always a big deal and very lavish.

Speaking of snow, I always found it silly that Hogwarts isn't covered in snow, but Hogsmeade is. I guess you can say there's a special enchantment over Hogwarts, but it's not like that in the films haha.

I would hope the event never goes anywhere, it's very different from other Christmas offerings and is just wonderful. Always been my favorite. I personally hope it only gets bigger and better. I just found it odd that someone who spoke with The Grint mentioned that he said that he doesn't know yet if The Grinch will be back for 2015. Very curious.

As for Hogsmeade and glittery snowy rooftops....you might want to have a peak at some of the facades as they are right now ;)

As for a Snow Machine, plans for Orlando originally included a snow machine for the whole year, but it was cut from the project for unknown reasons. The Wizarding Decorations in Orlando are extremely light from what I've seen. It'd be nice to see a bigger Christmas for the Wizarding World, as the one in the books and movies was always a big deal and very lavish.

Speaking of snow, I always found it silly that Hogwarts isn't covered in snow, but Hogsmeade is. I guess you can say there's a special enchantment over Hogwarts, but it's not like that in the films haha.
I like Grinchmas too. Very unique specimen. I think the Grinch was trying to say that he as the actor playing the Grinch might not be back. 

It would be nice to have a nice big Christmas celebration in WW, but it's just not possible. Other then glitter the streets with snow, they can't do much instead of putting on special shows on a small stage. Anything else else would clog up the pathway. 

I kinda find that a little weird that Hogwarts doesn't have snow lol. But who knows, maybe Universal will surprise us this time; they are always surprising us haha. 

I kinda find that a little weird that Hogwarts doesn't have snow lol. But who knows, maybe Universal will surprise us this time; they are always surprising us haha. 
Hogsmead was always purposefully portrayed in the films being covered in snow, not just in the winter season. So it makes sense why Hogwarts isn't.

As for Grinchmas, it's aesthetically beautiful but has little to no substance anymore, in my opinion. While I do appreciate Universal's effort to decorate the rest of the park (really loved how the DM area looked) for the event, I feel they need to find a better solution than having the entirety of the event's offerings crammed into Universal Plaza and of course the offerings themselves. I mean besides the Tree lighting most of the activities I can do at home or at my local mall. A christmas overlay for some of the rides would go such long way, I wish Universal would go to that length. Grinchmas is an event with so much potential but in recent years have been paltry in comparison to other theme park offerings. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've brought this up every year, but I'll say it again. I'd love holiday overlays for Minion Mayhem and Simpsons. So much potential, and they would only have to spend money on new ride filmed once and then just reuse them every year afterwards. I think this would be especially beneficial for Simulators which can sometimes get old quick. Lots of possibilities.

tumblr_mxcwocrpC41qcb58yo2_500.gif

Is it Grinchmas yet????

Me during HHN:

tumblr_mwiqxyLWEE1r7q8gjo1_250.gif

On a little note; I'm just wondering if maybe they can actually do a show in the Castle Theatre this year. I know that if its true, its probably going to be that new SES version but its just a hope.

It'd be fantastic if they did a "full scale" Grinchmas show inside the castle theatre similar to the Grinch show IOA does in one of their Soundstages. They should do a full show in addition to the tree lighting ceremony.

But it'll probably end up being identical to last year.

But my oh my will the snowy Hogsmeade look gorgeous this winter!

Any word on if USH is planning on doing anything different or special with Grinchmas this year? Or just the same as the past few years?

I'm hoping that when HP opens they'll decorate that area for Christmas as well.

With Disney set to begin their holiday season this weekend, there hasn't been a peep from Universal about Grinchmas. I hope they post details soon (like official dates) and that we get something new to see or do this year. The last point is probably wishful thinking, but it sure would be nice.

With Disney set to begin their holiday season this weekend, there hasn't been a peep from Universal about Grinchmas. I hope they post details soon (like official dates) and that we get something new to see or do this year. The last point is probably wishful thinking, but it sure would be nice.
According to Universal Studios Twitter page, they released the official dates starting with December 5-6, 12-13, 18-31 and January 1-3.

"Its beginning to look a lot like GRINCHmas....."  ...what? Don't give me that look, you know you tried to sing it...

Before I post my thoughts on this joyous WHO-bilation, here are two pics I took when I was at HHN on Friday the 6th... Obviously the set construction in the Universal Plaza has a lot more done now seeing as these pics are over a week old. Meh...

FXWK1ba.jpg

1iy5ZoG.jpg

^this really isn't the Grinchmas set... its actually a new wooden roller coaster being built on the Upper Lot :p

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to experience Grinchmas last year (trust me, I had a major sad), BUT I did watch videos & looked at pics. It was kinda neat. I'd always take a look at the stuff even back in Orlando, just out of curiosity. Anyway.... Here is my first gripe with the Grinchmas event here at USH.... the whole "select dates" crap. Sorry, but that is just dumb. Orlando provides Grinchmas (as well as their Macy's Parade event in the Studios park) EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. from the first weekend of December all the way through the first 2-3 days of January. So I find it rather disappointing Hollywood doesn't do the same & then have "celebrity appearances" (like normal) on select dates. (Now if Grinchmas does happen everyday for guests complete with tree-lighting, then disregard.. the "5-6, 12-13, 18-31, 1-3" made it seem like it was only those dates).

I've always thought it was pretty cool that the Whoville set came to life on the Studio Tour for Grinchmas. That alone is an amazing exclusive Hollywood has to offer. I remember seeing the video from 2008 of when they converted the old vortex tunnel back into an ice/snow tunnel to stand in as Mt Crumpit/Grinch's Lair. That was such a cool overlay & nice little throwback to the original Avalanche vortex tunnel theme. Its a shame we have Supercharged now (yep still hate it lol).

I made the joke last year to a friend of mine that it'd be so awesome if they really went all out for the Studio Tour during the holidays and gave Courthouse Square a little snow-covered holiday overlay... Sure it wasn't a Universal film, but I don't care. It was WB & incase anyone has missed it, we have a giant WB IP land waiting to open.. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm referring to one of the best holiday movies ever- GREMLINS!!!

bwu1xP5.jpg

^Now tell me that it wouldn't be awesome to see this recreated on some level! Just imagine some static Gremlin caroler figures & other moments. :D

Okay enough about the Studio Tour... sorry for the detour, back to Grinchmas... Over the years I've seen Orlando's event change & go from a very elaborate event to a scaled down budget cut event. It seemed to have gained a little bit of budget again in 2013, but not on the scale it used to be. Seuss Landing has always been so well decorated for the Who-liday season. Obviously, the closest USH has for that is the actual Grinch set. But I have always been impressed with the effort they'd make with decorating the park for the event here. But what I loved about the old Grinchmas days is that they'd have "WHOs" wandering around Seuss Landing interacting with guests. They still do this, but not like they used to. I'd love to see that here, but not restricted to the Universal Plaza. Let the WHOs wander.

Now another thing about Grinchmas was that originally, it was an "all day event". The original show they had was a retelling of the story, but more along the lines of the film for the most part. What was unique about it was that it was done as segments throughout the day, culminating with the tree lighting once it was dusk. So in order to see the whole show, you would have to go back to Seuss Landing at the designated time to catch the next part. It was very cool. They had stilt candy canes, and other WHOs to photo-op with. We also had a small "Mt Crumpit" ice slide (never did it though).

The current Grinchmas is very enjoyable & I love it! I honestly don't know when things changed for Grinchmas. You have to keep in mind that there was a huge gap for me going to "original Grinchmas" to the new current Grinchmas. I think my first time experiencing it was 2008 (but im not entirely sure). Its a new retelling stage show (live-singing & dialogue as it should be) with music by Manheim Steamroller. When I first saw the show, it was on an outdoor stage next to Cat in the Hat (where they used to have the Mt Crumpit slide). Then in 2011, they moved the show inside a soundstage & provided stadium seating. If you haven't had a chance to see Orlando's Grinchmas show yet, here is a video of it. The narrator was also sometimes a dude. Not the greatest video, BUT I love this particular cast. :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/n7S9tZz4xLk?feature=oembed I feel that USH could really benefit from a show like this in the Castle Theatre.

The tree lighting aspect of Grinchmas is great, but it isn't enough. USH could do so much more. I don't know if the characters in the park get any holiday costumes like the Disney characters do, but it would be really great if they did. And imagine if we had WHOs wandering around the park interacting with guests AND the normal park characters. Also... the park needs more holiday décor vomited upon it (although it seems like we might get that this year. We'll have to wait & see).

All of that aside, I am excited for my first Grinchmas at USH...

*NOTE: I was totally listening to xmas music while typing this up :ph34r:

Still a bit underwhelming lineup compared to the previous events, but I'm still extremely excited. I love the holidays...errr, Wholidays :)

Still, I hope they start offering more for the holidays.

Convert Shrek 4D to the Christmas special "Shrek the Halls - in 4D", put in a "full" Grinch show in the Castle Theatre and a more extravagant tree lighting show, do a holiday overlay of Minion Mayhem as Merry Mayhem (which I've discussed before: have Gru and the Minions work together to save the girls' first Christmas together as a family, with Gru as Santa Gru, with Reindeer Minions), and do an overlay of Simpsons as well (Have it be a parody of Haunted Mansion Holiday, and start this overlay in October. Make it themed around Krusty being too cheap to decorate Krustyland separately for Halloween AND Christmas, so he does a weird mashup of both holidays.)

Lots of potential.