Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

There were definitely some complaints when EPCOT Center opened. Some valid (too many slow moving wax museum style attractions) and some not so much (where's the characters).

But to imply that EPCOT Center was somehow a failure is factually incorrect. It is understandable that there would be a learning curve with the general public when opening such a departure from what people at the time knew as a "Disney Park". I'm sure that most people showing up to EC when it opened were expecting a castle park experience since that is all that they knew as a "Disney Park". So there were some complaints. As word of mouth got out as to how amazing the park was, the complaints were drowned out and it quickly became the #2 park on the planet and remained there for many years.

It had the same attendance as Disneyland the year it opened...

The myth that Epcot was disliked or boring i just that - a myth. If anything, it was under-serving guests and needed to rapidly expand to catch up. The area next to the UK became a makeshift food kiosk walkway because they couldnt feed everyone.

Eisner hated Epcot from Day 1 and cut funding and created the whole myth of "Epcot is boring, no one likes it." That became the mantra in WDI and within the fandom, but the facts never supported it. It is extremely well reviewed and well attended park - despite things like benches never being installed because Eisner forbade it - and didnt begin to suffer from lack of new investment until 1992.. when Eisner then declared "I was right!" and on the 3-5 year development cycle the awful Innoventions was created (100% Eisner's idea, he likes to take credirt for it in early articles before it was seen as a dud) and Epcot 94 and Epcot 95 park name.

He ruined Epcot and it ha never gotten back to its 1991 attendance.

There were definitely some complaints when EPCOT Center opened. Some valid (too many slow moving wax museum style attractions) and some not so much (where's the characters).

But to imply that EPCOT Center was somehow a failure is factually incorrect. It is understandable that there would be a learning curve with the general public when opening such a departure from what people at the time knew as a "Disney Park". I'm sure that most people showing up to EC when it opened were expecting a castle park experience since that is all that they knew as a "Disney Park". So there were some complaints. As word of mouth got out as to how amazing the park was, the complaints were drowned out and it quickly became the #2 park on the planet and remained there for many years.
I wouldn't say failure was the word to use...I would more use the term blah

Which plays into how the park is being re-created now...It has been recreating itself since inception (which ultimately may have been the goal)..A lot of people are freaking out over the GotG, but I feel the original Epcot was romanticized a bit..

And if you want to ban me for my opinion then very well - but I think GotG is a necessary step in the re-branding of Epcot for future generations

I understand there is quite a fandom and love for Epcot, I just don't see Guardians as a bad move

What if the theme of the ride is to travel back to Epcot in the 80s to save Peter from time travel baddies?

Even if they don't go down this route, I like the idea of expanding on him in the 80s. Even if it's just a video in the queue. Load up that Betamax since I'm sure his parents were Sony fans.

You can be snarky.. but Horizon and World of Motion were extremely reliable and had among the highest capacities of any attraction ever built. 3000 an hour.

Does reliable and high capacity equal good?

I don't really mind about IPS coming to Epcot. As a younger person (under 20), the only parts of the park I actually care about are Test Track, Soarin and Frozen. I don't get whatsoever the huge fuss about IROE is. To me, it's a firework show with classical music and is by far WDW's worst show. Most Epcot attractions do not appeal towards me as they are just boring and a complete waste of space, so for me Epcot's a half day park. At least, Disney's latest plans will make the park be more attractive to visit for me. GOTG especially sounds very interesting and I really do hope that it may bring some life to Epcot.

I don't really mind about IPS coming to Epcot. As a younger person (under 20), the only parts of the park I actually care about are Test Track, Soarin and Frozen. I don't get whatsoever the huge fuss about IROE is. To me, it's a firework show with classical music and is by far WDW's worst show. Most Epcot attractions do not appeal towards me as they are just boring and a complete waste of space, so for me Epcot's a half day park. At least, Disney's latest plans will make the park be more attractive to visit for me. GOTG especially sounds very interesting and I really do hope that it may bring some life to Epcot.

YRrlvTH.jpg

Actually going back to the original thread makes for something interesting reading, especially since it was 15 months ago.
Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction? | Inside Universal Forums

Even if they don't go down this route, I like the idea of expanding on him in the 80s. Even if it's just a video in the queue. Load up that Betamax since I'm sure his parents were Sony fans.

I've been told the plot of the attraction is the Guardians go back in time to 80s Epcot to prevent bad guys from killing/taking hostage Peter. So it fits into "Epcot" as well as it does any other park around. Aka it's lazy.

I've been told the plot of the attraction is the Guardians go back in time to 80s Epcot to prevent bad guys from killing/taking hostage Peter. So it fits into "Epcot" as well as it does any other park around. Aka it's lazy.

It will be interesting to see what Disney has in it's records for 80s Epcot.

It is lazy in the sense that they could make it any park (aside from the limitation Peter's age puts on the time period); there's nothing inextricably linked to Epcot. That plot could just as easily be centered around Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom.

That said, if the ride basically ends up being a sneaky tribute to classic EPCOT Center stuff (underneath what is certainly going to be an action-heavy ride experience), I'll take it and make the best of a bad situation.

Last edited:
It is lazy in the sense that they could make it any park (aside from the limitations Peter's age put on the time period); there's nothing inextricably linked to Epcot. That plot could just as easily be centered around Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom.

That said, if the ride basically ends up being a sneaky tribute to classic EPCOT Center stuff (underneath what is certainly going to be an action-heavy ride experience), I'll take it and make the best of a bad situation.

Well said, the fact that Disney announced that Guardians of the Galaxy would be at Epcot instead of something like Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom is just jaw-shocking. Guardians of the Galaxy is a superhero based on the Marvel Comics with fictional-like powers not based on real technology. At one point people would no longer discriminate between the theming of the parks, like it doesn't matter anymore, we shall put in any ride we want to in hopes to maximize profits and fitting with the theme. Frozen fits more with Magic Kingdom than Epcot, since that ride is nothing educational about Norway.

I can't take the excuse that Star Lord visited Epcot in the 1980s as a reason for the ride to be there, it's not really fitting enough to be in Epcot. I'll have to see about that, when it comes, but it doesn't look that promising.

Well said, the fact that Disney announced that Guardians of the Galaxy would be at Epcot instead of something like Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom is just jaw-shocking. Guardians of the Galaxy is a superhero based on the Marvel Comics with fictional-like powers not based on real technology. At one point people would no longer discriminate between the theming of the parks, like it doesn't matter anymore, we shall put in any ride we want to in hopes to maximize profits and fitting with the theme. Frozen fits more with Magic Kingdom than Epcot, since that ride is nothing educational about Norway.

I can't take the excuse that Star Lord visited Epcot in the 1980s as a reason for the ride to be there, it's not really fitting enough to be in Epcot. I'll have to see about that, when it comes, but it doesn't look that promising.
I mean no harm in this question....I've been rattling around 'what to do with Epcot' in my brain since the announcement....What would you have rather seen in the Energy plot?

I mean no harm in this question....I've been rattling around 'what to do with Epcot' in my brain since the announcement....What would you have rather seen in the Energy plot?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a shot:

1. A complete overhaul/refresh of the Universe of Energy concept, bringing the pavilion in line with current thinking about energy sources. I believe Martin has said this actually was on the table competing with the Guardians concept until fairly recently.

2. If Disney was dead-set on the Guardians coming, structure the attraction in such a way that their shenanigans involve them learning (and, by extension, the guests learning) about some scientific concept (not necessarily energy-related) in order to get out of whatever dangerous situation they're in. It wouldn't have to be heavy handed, but make the concept of science/technology/discovery part of the attraction's storyline, and not just lip service.

A few thoughts...

I suspect the ride experience will be terrestrial. We may be flying around in a fancy spaceship, but I think we'll be flying around Nova or Earth trying to defeat some baddies or get the macguffin.

I do think the most likely ride vehicle is the Nova Blaster thing seen outfront and ridden-in by Gamora and Starlord in the concept art of the presumed preshow.

Now, about his visit to Epcot - I think they could do the whole "omg, kill him as a child" plot and that'd be quirky and cute and we'd zoom around epcot to try and save him but I don't think that's the plot. I think it's just a small bit of information. Not meant to justify the whole experience. Like during the preshow he might mention having been there before or being excited about being back (Starlord is actually in Epcot's primary demographic).

My feeling is that Nova has set up some sort of recruitment facility on earth at Epcot.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a shot:

1. A complete overhaul/refresh of the Universe of Energy concept, bringing the pavilion in line with current thinking about energy sources. I believe Martin has said this actually was on the table competing with the Guardians concept until fairly recently.

2. If Disney was dead-set on the Guardians coming, structure the attraction in such a way that their shenanigans involve them learning (and, by extension, the guests learning) about some scientific concept (not necessarily energy-related) in order to get out of whatever dangerous situation they're in. It wouldn't have to be heavy handed, but make the concept of science/technology/discovery part of the attraction's storyline, and not just lip service.

It was directed at everyone

I agree with your thoughts, although I'm sure Disney saw that as too risky and GotG as an easy ROI

A few thoughts...

I suspect the ride experience will be terrestrial. We may be flying around in a fancy spaceship, but I think we'll be flying around Nova or Earth trying to defeat some baddies or get the macguffin.

I do think the most likely ride vehicle is the Nova Blaster thing seen outfront and ridden-in by Gamora and Starlord in the concept art of the presumed preshow.

Now, about his visit to Epcot - I think they could do the whole "omg, kill him as a child" plot and that'd be quirky and cute and we'd zoom around epcot to try and save him but I don't think that's the plot. I think it's just a small bit of information. Not meant to justify the whole experience. Like during the preshow he might mention having been there before or being excited about being back (Starlord is actually in Epcot's primary demographic).

My feeling is that Nova has set up some sort of recruitment facility on earth at Epcot.

I feel there will be several jokes about Epcot...Nothing more

The rest will take place in space