Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights: Adults Only Night

Brownie54

VIP Member
Feb 17, 2010
Philadelphia
Okay, this really isn't a big deal but after HHN is over I always do the surveys and request that Universal give us 1 - 3 adults only nights. I just think it would be nice not to have the scores of screaming teen girls who I swear are screaming just to get the scare actors to chase them. Perhaps Bill and Ted could be just a bit naughtier on those nights. Same for Rocky Horror. Perhaps we could have things in the houses like what I have heard rumored for AWIL. Don't get me wrong, I like having the 12 - 20 year olds around most of the time, but just one night might be nice away from "the kids". Doubt it will ever happen, but was wondering what others here feel about it.

Would definitely never happen and I really don't think there's a reason to. All of the annoying behaviors you described are done just as much by drunken adults. Universal would have absolutely nothing to gain for it. Plus, I highly doubt they'd get any edgier with an adult night. It's already an "adult event" and they still seem to walk on eggshells because of the amount of complaining that has happened in the past.

^ This. Most of the time, age really has nothing to do with maturity or behavior. I was 11 years old when I went to my first HHN and even then I was always respectful of both the sets and the people around me, whether it be a scareactor or another guest.

It can get annoying, but It rounds out the event sound wise. Hearing high pitch screams
& chainsaws from all over ....makes you feel all warm inside.

I don't really think this could be possible. The park would lose money on food drinks etc , and kids would probably make a Huge fuss about it. probably get complaining at the gate

Since joining these boards I've started paying attention to a lot of 'different' aspects of the park....one of these have been the so-called drunks at HHN. Actively paying attention, I realized that it is very hard to get ridiculously drunk at HHN. Ome drink per person, one vendor per line, and the hard liquor is watered down (this was my first HHN actually "drinking" drinking, due to the company I was with). It takes the average male three standard drinks in one hour to get a buzz (a 20-oz beer, a shot, etc). While its easy to get more than three drinks in one night, three just in one line alone is almost impossible, and when the liquor is watered down as it is, I don't get how you can get drunk at HHN, unless you go in no lines or houses.

Now, I've pre-gamed HHN before so as not to waste time at the actual event and getting hammered was fun (though I was always respectful). But getting drunk beforehand won't be stopped by an adults-only night or a lack of bars around the park. I think the drunkard issue has to be overblown.

Since joining these boards I've started paying attention to a lot of 'different' aspects of the park....one of these have been the so-called drunks at HHN. Actively paying attention, I realized that it is very hard to get ridiculously drunk at HHN. Ome drink per person, one vendor per line, and the hard liquor is watered down (this was my first HHN actually "drinking" drinking, due to the company I was with). It takes the average male three standard drinks in one hour to get a buzz (a 20-oz beer, a shot, etc). While its easy to get more than three drinks in one night, three just in one line alone is almost impossible, and when the liquor is watered down as it is, I don't get how you can get drunk at HHN, unless you go in no lines or houses.

Now, I've pre-gamed HHN before so as not to waste time at the actual event and getting hammered was fun (though I was always respectful). But getting drunk beforehand won't be stopped by an adults-only night or a lack of bars around the park. I think the drunkard issue has to be overblown.

I don't know. I have both heard a lot of stories of people getting really drunk and breaking props, hitting actors, getting into fights etc.
And I myself have witness at least a dozen cases of people that looked pretty drunk over the years. Just last weekend there was a guy that was falling all over and could barely walk. At first I thought there was something wrong with him, but he was just drunk.

Maybe the number of people that get so wasted is small. yeah, but every year there are always stories of people that drank too much and started breaking stuff. so I don't know

I don't know. I have both heard a lot of stories of people getting really drunk and breaking props, hitting actors, getting into fights etc.
And I myself have witness at least a dozen cases of people that looked pretty drunk over the years. Just last weekend there was a guy that was falling all over and could barely walk. At first I thought there was something wrong with him, but he was just drunk.

Maybe the number of people that get so wasted is small. yeah, but every year there are always stories of people that drank too much and started breaking stuff. so I don't know

I worked 2005 and 2006 both on streets, and saw a lot from all types of people. I've seen the typical drunks acting stupid, the violent drunks, the annoying kids, the just plain stupid, and finally the diehard fans that what make working the event worthwhile. After 2006, I decided that dealing with everyone else just to provide excellent scares for the few and far in between wasn't worth it any more. I've personally seen over half of my cast had to deal with drunk terrors. I've seen a stilt go down because someone literally pulled on his leg, I've seen countless attempts at guys groping characters to see if they're female, I've seen my friend get punched in the throat and couldn't speak for a week. I've been mobbed, surrounded by dozens of people messing with me and no escape. The only way I got out of it was a friend of mine had to get personal with them and literally shoved people out of the way for me to get out of there. And then the following weekend, some girl thought it would be fun to jump on my back and ride me like a horse. On average I've seen at least one person leave USF backstage in handcuffs by OPD, and this was just within my area while I'm on break. So there's no telling what else happens in other areas of the park. I miss the job dearly, but to me it's not worth the risk of getting injured.

I worked 2005 and 2006 both on streets, and saw a lot from all types of people. I've seen the typical drunks acting stupid, the violent drunks, the annoying kids, the just plain stupid, and finally the diehard fans that what make working the event worthwhile. After 2006, I decided that dealing with everyone else just to provide excellent scares for the few and far in between wasn't worth it any more. I've personally seen over half of my cast had to deal with drunk terrors. I've seen a stilt go down because someone literally pulled on his leg, I've seen countless attempts at guys groping characters to see if they're female, I've seen my friend get punched in the throat and couldn't speak for a week. I've been mobbed, surrounded by dozens of people messing with me and no escape. The only way I got out of it was a friend of mine had to get personal with them and literally shoved people out of the way for me to get out of there. And then the following weekend, some girl thought it would be fun to jump on my back and ride me like a horse. On average I've seen at least one person leave USF backstage in handcuffs by OPD, and this was just within my area while I'm on break. So there's no telling what else happens in other areas of the park. I miss the job dearly, but to me it's not worth the risk of getting injured.

That's sorry to hear that your job was made miserable by a few stupid people. I guess that it is very possible to get drunk if all you're doing is walking around the streets. But like I said, given the current treatment of alcohol at the event now, I feel like the obnoxious people will come to be obnoxious, regardless of the amount of bars in the park.

You have to remember it takes different amount of alcohol to get different people drunk. I know some people one drink they are buzzed, two they are not driving, and three they are smashed. And size does not always matter. In college I could out drink most of my boyfriends and some where twice the size of me. Also, if you don't drink a lot and this is one of those times you let loose and drink, well then even less alcohol will get you drunk. I can't drink nearly as much as I could before. I feel it much faster now, because I didn't have a drink for over a year because of having kids.

So it is VERY possible to get smashed at HHN and still go through the houses and shows.

You have to remember it takes different amount of alcohol to get different people drunk. I know some people one drink they are buzzed, two they are not driving, and three they are smashed. And size does not always matter. In college I could out drink most of my boyfriends and some where twice the size of me. Also, if you don't drink a lot and this is one of those times you let loose and drink, well then even less alcohol will get you drunk. I can't drink nearly as much as I could before. I feel it much faster now, because I didn't have a drink for over a year because of having kids.

So it is VERY possible to get smashed at HHN and still go through the houses and shows.

That's actually a common myth. If you are a man and your height is x and your weight is y, it takes you z amount of alcohol to get you drunk, period. Some people's tolerances are different, and that's a dangerous thing because that means when the time comes for your body to shut down, you don't know it and it sneaks up on you and next thing you know you're hospitalized.

I was in a fraternity in college and the school was always insistent that we take alcohol seminars every semester. I know how it works. It does not take different amounts of alcohol to get different people drunk; size and gender are the only factors that determine this.

Sorry to rant, but I feel like your post can't just be out here on a public forum--that's a really dangerous way of thinking.

Last edited:
Are you speaking in a blood alcohol way or a tolerance way. Because they are too different things. Yes, your blood alcohol is going to be .08 if you drink X amount in Y period of time and you weight Z amount and are a female. However how you are impaired and act is completely different. One person can be .08 and not be able to stand while another person at .08 can be able to walk fine. And I am NOT suggesting anyone over the legal limit ever get into a car and drive because your tolerance is higher, if you are at or above the legal limit you need to get a taxi. Trust me, I don't mess around with drinking and driving, but what I am saying is at an event like HHN one person with 2 drinks may be fine, while the other person with 2 drinks could cause havoc on the actors and other guests. That is how you get functional alcoholics, because their tolerance is higher, meaning they can tolerate a higher blood alcohol level and can work and function without some even knowing they are an alcoholic while others couldn't function at work with one drink.

For instance, I won't even drive with one drink in me now, where before I would. I just don't feel like I have quick enough reflexes since I had my kids to drive with a drink in me unless its been like an hour afterwards, but looking up using a calculator I would only be at .02 at that point, well below the legal limit. My husband would have to drink 7 beers in an hour to be legally impaired to not drive, however if he has more than 2, I won't let him drive because he gets pretty impaired if he has 3. However I have dated guys that could have 5 and be fine to drive.

So how we act after a certain amount of drinks is tolerance and people can act pretty drunk, but their blood alcohol level be lower than others acting fine.

For instance, I won't even drive with one drink in me now, where before I would. I just don't feel like I have quick enough reflexes since I had my kids to drive with a drink in me unless its been like an hour afterwards, but looking up using a calculator I would only be at .02 at that point, well below the legal limit. My husband would have to drink 7 beers in an hour to be legally impaired to not drive, however if he has more than 2, I won't let him drive because he gets pretty impaired if he has 3. However I have dated guys that could have 5 and be fine to drive.

So how we act after a certain amount of drinks is tolerance and people can act pretty drunk, but their blood alcohol level be lower than others acting fine.

Izzy...no. The message you're getting across is that some people are fine if they have a high tolerance but that's not the case at all. Alcohol affects alcoholics the same as it affects first-time drinkers. Even if a small woman doesn't feel drunk after 10 standard drinks, you'll be hospitalized at 11 no matter what. This isn't so much about HHN at this point as it is about there being a post with a muddled message about alcohol consumption. Every male who is 6 feet tall and 200 pounds gets drunk at the same rate, at the same time. This is not debatable, and I don't think anyone reading this should think that the more tolerant you are, the more impervious you are to the effects of alcohol. Too many friends have gone to the hospital for having the same line of thinking as you.

Izzy...no. The message you're getting across is that some people are fine if they have a high tolerance but that's not the case at all. Alcohol affects alcoholics the same as it affects first-time drinkers. Even if a small woman doesn't feel drunk after 10 standard drinks, you'll be hospitalized at 11 no matter what. This isn't so much about HHN at this point as it is about there being a post with a muddled message about alcohol consumption. Every male who is 6 feet tall and 200 pounds gets drunk at the same rate, at the same time. This is not debatable, and I don't think anyone reading this should think that the more tolerant you are, the more impervious you are to the effects of alcohol. Too many friends have gone to the hospital for having the same line of thinking as you.

And we are talking about two different things. As I stated and I want to be clear, everyone will have the same blood alcohol level based on weight & gender. Which means if 5 drinks gets you to .08 then you should not have 5 drinks and then drive. If 10 drinks get you to a blood alcohol ratio that would put you at .25 well then you should not have 10 drinks no matter how you feel because that would be dangerous to your health. We are on the same page here.

Where we are not on the same page is your statement it would be hard to get drunk at HHN. Because for some people 4 drinks would effect them a lot different than you and they may start acting in a way that would cause them to appear drunk, when their blood alcohol level could be below .08. I also think your way of thinking can be dangerous because my blood alcohol level at 3 wines is below the legal limit, but I would have no business getting behind the wheel of a car. I would be too impaired to even think about putting myself or others lives in my hands. So putting a formula to this issue can be dangerous too. People need to know the formula and go by how they feel. Never go above the number of drinks that would cause your blood alcohol level to go into dangerous levels, but also know how you react to certain blood alcohol levels and keeping that in check too.

Last edited:
Izzy is correct. People with greater tolerances can compensate better against the effects of alcohol than people with lower tolerances. This is stated almost verbatim on the Office of Drug and Alcohol Education page on the University of Notre Dame's website.

http://oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-alcohol/what-is-intoxication/

Intoxication in a legal sense is the same for everyone, but the level of inebriation is based on a lot different factors that are also laid out on that site.

Izzy is correct. People with greater tolerances can compensate better against the effects of alcohol than people with lower tolerances..

No, this is very wrong. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean your body can handle it better. X amount of drinks will put you in danger regardless of how experienced a drinker you are.