Happily Ever After | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Happily Ever After

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We feel the same way. But as @Wigglepebbles said, "Welcome to the age of social media, old man." The "kids" will never put their smartphones down to enjoy the experience for themselves. Living your life through a digital screen isn't experiencing it. This is one of the reasons why we strive to push out great (and rare) content from the parks on our platforms. We want you to experience it as it was intended by the creative teams. Maybe one day it will change, but for now, we all have to deal with these "kids".

We feel the same way. But as @Wigglepebbles said, "Welcome to the age of social media, old man." The "kids" will never put their smartphones down to enjoy the experience for themselves. Living your life through a digital screen isn't experiencing it. This is one of the reasons why we strive to push out great (and rare) content from the parks on our platforms. We want you to experience it as it was intended by the creative teams. Maybe one day it will change, but for now, we all have to deal with these "kids".
None of this stuff about the "kids" is true. The people using flashlight the whole show were 40's/50's adults, some who were facetiming, clearly on vacation and had no idea what they were doing. The "kids" know how to use social media (such as Tik Tok), fairly easily and in the right ways.

At 28, i'm still young enough that I know how to have a good time, but it's still annoying to see this when trying to enjoy a show, ya know, in person. And I will re-emphasize, the "kids" were not the ones in the wrong in my general area.

Aren't people going to Disney just to show others they went?
I remember when Disney was still fun and I there where a ton of pay phones at the entrance under the trainstation at Magic Kingdom and they where all full when the park opened, people even waited there to use a phone. I never understood why people would use valuable money and time when there was a fun park waiting for them (and short walk-on's). I once eavesdropped and literally everyone was telling someone else that they where at Disney, not does the cat still live or don't forget to water the plants, no, we are here it's amazing when in fact they just entered. I decided I don't understand guests at Disney.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
I forget when the i-pad came out, but I am certain it was back when we went to Disney a heck of a lot more -- well, we took like a 7 year break from the place. Anyway, back then I was scratching my head as adults were carrying these things around all day, using it as a camera and as a video camera -- during night parades and fireworks well those large screens suck to be near due to the light pollution -- but yes, even at concerts when someone is over 100 yards from the stage, folks use flash - I guess they like to have the heads in front of them as evidence of their experience.

I forget when the i-pad came out, but I am certain it was back when we went to Disney a heck of a lot more -- well, we took like a 7 year break from the place. Anyway, back then I was scratching my head as adults were carrying these things around all day, using it as a camera and as a video camera -- during night parades and fireworks well those large screens suck to be near due to the light pollution -- but yes, even at concerts when someone is over 100 yards from the stage, folks use flash - I guess they like to have the heads in front of them as evidence of their experience.
For some reason, all the adults in my family loved iPads. My aunt literally had seven of them. They litter our houses like the detritus of a bygone war ;) .

Anyways, technological malfeasance goes both ways. For every TikTok or Youtube addict, there's millions of older people who spend absurd amounts of time surfing Facebook or watching hours of cable news/sports. I don't think there's a single person with access to boundless entertainment that doesn't struggle with distraction and overuse of the technology. That's kind of what the products are designed to make you do, regardless of age range.

Aren't people going to Disney just to show others they went?
I remember when Disney was still fun and I there where a ton of pay phones at the entrance under the trainstation at Magic Kingdom and they where all full when the park opened, people even waited there to use a phone. I never understood why people would use valuable money and time when there was a fun park waiting for them (and short walk-on's). I once eavesdropped and literally everyone was telling someone else that they where at Disney, not does the cat still live or don't forget to water the plants, no, we are here it's amazing when in fact they just entered. I decided I don't understand guests at Disney.

Can’t speak to the pay-phone era, but we’re in an experience economy right now. People value what they’re DOING over what they’re BUYING, and a lot of that was escalated (if not caused outright) by Instagram, Twitter, etc.

The thing is, while what people value changed (designer clothes gave way to elaborate vacations), people themselves haven’t. Everyone still wants to brag about themselves…and that was easy to do with clothes logos or home furnishings. Now, when your prized status symbol is a vacation, the only way to really promote it is by posting about it nonstop.

To @Nick ’s point, it’s not really young vs. old. It’s just a different way of doing what people have always done.

It's also a significant amount of people's only time at the parks.
And I know that. I’m cool with people recording during the fireworks if that’s what they want to do, just turn your damn flash off! The only equivalent I could compare too was if you rode Haunted Mansion, but people were taking video with flash on for the whole ride in the doom buggies next to you.

None of this stuff about the "kids" is true. The people using flashlight the whole show were 40's/50's adults, some who were facetiming, clearly on vacation and had no idea what they were doing. The "kids" know how to use social media (such as Tik Tok), fairly easily and in the right ways.

At 28, i'm still young enough that I know how to have a good time, but it's still annoying to see this when trying to enjoy a show, ya know, in person. And I will re-emphasize, the "kids" were not the ones in the wrong in my general area.

"kids" as in people that constantly use their phones, not a specific age group.

We are happy that DLR has gone away from the annual passes. Although this will be coming back in some form shortly. It's not fair to a family that saves their money which typically goes to a theme park once every 5 years. Said family would drop $2k - $5k (or more) a day and they want to enjoy the park. In our opinion, a lot of Vloggers/Bloggers think because they "have a job" and make money off YouTube and other platforms, they have more of a "right" to do what they do. They usually do not respect other park guests, are very opinionated, loud, walk and talk like they "own the park". They destroy the experience for that family who drops that kind of cash vers an annual pass holder who goes to the park as they would to their local mall. The parks were never intended to be a babysitter for grown adults. You're not supposed to "live" in the parks. When we had a pass to DLR in 2003, it was $300 for both parks, 365 days, including parking and you had to pay all that in a lump sum, no monthly payments. And at that time in 2003, we thought $300 was outrageous.

Its because people care more about being "seen" doing an activity on social media than they do actually doing the activity. This picture here always gets me. Only one person is experiencing the parade correctly.

1627496094355.png

Reactions: Mad Dog
Its because people care more about being "seen" doing an activity on social media than they do actually doing the activity. This picture here always gets me. Only one person is experiencing the parade correctly.

View attachment 15009
and probably the only one that doesn't own a smartphone and waste half her life playing with it. Myself, I refuse to use one. I like to maintain my quality of life and
not be bothered by someone trying to track me down, and getting upset that they didn't get a reply back in 1 minute or so. Privacy is refreshing, and very valuable. :)

Reactions: therock
Went to see Happily Ever After tonight instead of Harmonious as I had planned to originally and i'm so glad I did. Just like with seeing the final performance of Wishes in May 2017, it's always fun to hang out with a bunch of Disney fans and sing at the top of your lungs to the soundtrack of the show.

I really grew to love this show and the accompanying title song and will miss this dearly, so i'm glad I chose to see this one final time. I can still see Harmonious whenever (and plan on seeing it tomorrow), so I think I made the right choice. Enchantment has a lot to live up to for me.

My view for the finale showing:

Last edited:
There must be some crack in this show that I am not sniffing. This was, from what I can see, the best widely received news of the day which shows that the Disney community is more about nostalgia above all else.

The show was fine but I think Disney is capable of creating a new one and keeping it relevant with the addition of Encanto and whatever else.

Reactions: SeventyOne
There must be some crack in this show that I am not sniffing. This was, from what I can see, the best widely received news of the day which shows that the Disney community is more about nostalgia above all else.

The show was fine but I think Disney is capable of creating a new one and keeping it relevant with the addition of Encanto and whatever else.
This was the best news of the day for me because it’s largely the only thing at WDW they confirmed is ACTUALLY happening.

Sure, they talked a bunch about blue sky projects that look cool and would obviously be better than a fireworks show coming back, but there’s no guarantee Coco, Encanto, Villains Grove, Zootopia, or Moana actually happen.

And since there’s no guarantee, it’s hard to get excited right now. Also, to achieve their MK plans I’m pretty sure that means the end or Rivers of America and the Mark Twain as we know it. They’d probably dock the Twain and turn it into Tiana’s Place, I’d guess.