Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Happily Ever After

I'm sitting on my couch ugly crying. All of my favorites(Tangled/Hercules/POTF/Hunchback/BH6) were acknowledged other than Beauty and the Beast and I am so ecstatic! Just sold me on planning my annual trip.

Initial reaction based on the live stream...

It was technically stunning. There will be some amazing photographs that will get captured by many amateur and professional photographers during the shows run over time. The projections overall were better than I expected but still not a fan of projection mapping on the castle as if it were a screen. I love the projection mapping when they transform the castle or do special effects with it but not when they are showing extended animation as if it were a movie screen. The projection mapping was distracting from the fireworks. I think the show will need to be viewed from multiple locations to fully take it all in. One night watch it for the fireworks the next night watch it for the projections. Loved the spotlight effects and creative launch points for some of the fireworks off the castle. Also loved that the show pulled some of the older and less mainstream films into the spotlight.

There are lots of small spectacular wow moments through out the show however the entire show as a whole feels a little forced and a little too 'Disney'. Kinda cheesy, too 'cute' and over produced (think Sorin 2.0) but hey, that is Disney! The show is not as emotional as Wishes was. I wasn't drawn into the story or feeling the 'Disney' magic. It felt more of a celebration of Disney's films/music with random scenes stitched together than a 'story'. Not necessarily bad, just different. It also felt too long. There were like three opening sequences as if they couldn't decide how to open the show so they used all three ideas. The general outline of the show was typical Disney: Opening (x3), hero mix, love mix, villians mix, happy ending, finale...but its a tried and true formula. At least they used a larger variety of characters and pulled deeper from the vault for each segment! The finale felt underwhelming to me but maybe it will be more impactfull in person.

Progress is good and it is nice to see Disney using technology to bring new and different things to their parks. I think the show is an overall win and will be well received. The crowd seemed to love it. Can't wait to see it in person. Wishes will be missed but this show is a good replacement and is pushing the night time spectacular to new and exciting limits just like Wishes did many years ago.

On a side note, Disney's live stream had a surprisingly high production value. Multiple cameras with pans over main street! Good job with the live stream Disney!

To think of it more, I have this to say.

The show, while I am loving it; I do find issues that prevent me from saying it's the best show.

Now, don't get me wrong, as I have only seen a video's perspective. And that I will have a different tune, but to go on the positives.

• The Mixed Effects of Projections, Lasers, Pyrotechnics, and Lighting is some of the best since the original version of OuaT from TDL
  • The use of Walt Disney Animation and Pixar Animation is some of the best for any show
  • It feels like what World of Color (original) should've been. And that I am happy with the direction
  • The use of underrated films, is brilliant.
  • The handdrawn animation, while short; makes the impact it needs
  • The Score is amazing
And then..the negatives.
  • The Pirates of the Caribbean portion in the show, is a complete waste, as the show features mostly on Animation. They didn't atleast use the characters, but it felt out of place (I feel I may have similar thoughts with Fantasmic!).
  • The main song, isn't as good as the main Wishes song. It may change, but eh.
  • The transitions used in the show, weren't good in terms of how it was done technically.
  • I wish they had cut the show a small bit. Not too much, but maybe trimming it down a small bit?
I won't sing the choir bells, but it is the best nighttime show currently at Disney property anywhere. And that I hope this has a longer lifeshelf than Forever, especially with the insane amount of pyro used.

From the videos the show looks awesome. Between this and Pandora, they are giving Universal a run for their money. They better work faster on that 1/2 of a volcano. Lol

Best video out there so far.

This show is so amazing. Best night time fireworks spectacle since Remember Dreams Come True at Disneyland. I wish Universal would create a good night time spectacular.

Wow, loved the incorporating of POTC.

I was skeptical of retiring Wishes, but this HEA show is great.

I don't think this show will have the shelf life of Wishes...maybe that's not a bad thing, but I can't help but notice that Wishes ran unchanged for 14 years...

Not saying anything really just pointing out how well done Wishes was

Now the next challenge is finding a worthy successor to IllumiNations

I don't think this show will have the shelf life of Wishes...maybe that's not a bad thing, but I can't help but notice that Wishes ran unchanged for 14 years...

Not saying anything really just pointing out how well done Wishes was

Now the next challenge is finding a worthy successor to IllumiNations
Supposedly there'll be another fireworks show in time for the 50th.

Having watched this a couple times and rewatching Wishes (since the last time I saw that was live back in spring break of 2005.), my thoughts.

Personally, I like Happily Ever After a lot more then Wishes. While I did like Wishes, when I look back on it now compared to HEA, it did grow a bit dated. (That and I'm not the biggest fan of having a bunch of little kids singing the main song, that can get into cutesy territory I'm not fond of.)

HEA is a very nice upgrade in tech, audio etc. The projections are great, I love the little touches be it the fireworks "shooting off" the castle from Merida's Bow or the firework from Mulan, or the smoke pouring out of the genies lamp. I also really like the Tinkerbell fly over being moved near the end of the show, since it works better there then Wishes which didn't even wait two minutes before sending her out.

As other's have mentioned, I love the use of the underrated films. Hunchback of Notre Dame is legit one of my favorite Disney films (Hell, that movie has some of their best songs period.), so I was very happy to see a good chunk of Out There used. Using "Go The Distance" near the end was also a nice touch as well. (In some of the videos it sounded like the first couple notes of that got one of biggest cheers out of the crowd.)

Now I know some people find the Pirates section out of place, though it really didn't bother me since it wasn't that long, that and you see just the shadow/outline of the characters so it didn't really detract anything for me. Now if there was a moment which made me raise a eyebrow, that was the little bit with Lightning McQueen and the new female car that's in Cars 3. For me that just felt a little odd since that film ain't even out yet.

Overall it's a really good nighttime show, though I do feel this is not gonna' help Animal Kingdom whatsoever since I know a good chunk of people who would rather see and enjoy this over Rivers of Light.

Wow, it is truly a fantastic show. The music was amazing and had different layers connecting different films. Only real negatives are that some sections didn't flow well from one bit to another and I was a bit annoyed with the villain section being so short. It should have either been there for 4 mins or not be in the show altogether because it was far too short and felt a bit randomly placed. However, it is a good replacement for wishes. Wishes I have never seen so I had no emotional nostalgic connection towards but the only wishes thing I missed is the finale with the choir singing wishes

Are some of those fireworks actually golden? The video I watched made some of them appear 24 carat! If so, then the first I have ever seen...

Regardless, that is bonkers amounts of pyro they're setting off, and I even approve of the projections! I loved hearing the crowd's reactions to their favorite characters and scenes.

(I was really pleased that Tangled made it in... that tune is so romantic and the scene mesmerizing.)

Are some of those fireworks actually golden? The video I watched made some of them appear 24 carat! If so, then the first I have ever seen...

Regardless, that is bonkers amounts of pyro they're setting off, and I even approve of the projections! I loved hearing the crowd's reactions to their favorite characters and scenes.

(I was really pleased that Tangled made it in... that tune is so romantic and the scene mesmerizing.)
It sure was bombastic. Dave (Disneyhead) and I were having a drink at the Thirsty Fish , Portofino piazza last Sunday night around 11:00 PM. We heard really loud fireworks. Dave speculated they were testing fireworks for Volcano Bay. The next day he found out it was the testing for Happily Ever After.:) Could have sworn it was on Universal property, it was that loud.

Remember Dreams Come True at Disneyland has always been my favorite fireworks show, but this takes it to another, insane level. It's a work of kinetic and technical madness that gives WDW it's answer to World of Color more than Rivers of Light ever will be. Everything flows naturally with so many diverse and creative elements in every spot.

Like WoC, this takes an entire area and utilizes it as a blank canvas (especially the castle), painting on it effortlessly and with such insane precision. They knocked this one out of the park. Great job, Disney.

Illuminations has always been my favorite permanent show (original Star Wars fireworks show where they still launched behind the theater and had to close down the back of the park is my all-time favorite).

Do you guys think it's equal to or better than Illuminations in regards to firepower?