Has JPRA Gotten Wetter? | Inside Universal Forums

Has JPRA Gotten Wetter?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 12, 2010
England
I went on JPRA today for the first time in a year and was wondering, have Universal done something to the boats/lagoon to get you more wet? This is one of my favourite rides at IOA so I've ridden at a good few times over the years and no matter where I've sat, front or back, I'd never walk off with more than my face/shoulders wet. However today I came off the ride with my whole front half absolutely drenched. I was on the front row but when I looked around as we exited, pretty much everyone was soaked. This made me wonder if Uni have changed anything on the ride to make a bigger splash? If anyone knows what they have done please post!

There's a few things that play into it. A heavier boat will create a larger splash. Also, the more boats in the load area, the higher the water is. Higher water in the splashdown area will result in a bigger splash and harder slowdown.

It has been brought up on here before that there is some sort of removable fin that affects the splash. I guess they want more splash in the summer but usually want less splash in the colder months. Though the cold fronts have been extremely mild so far this year, so maybe they are keeping the bigger splash longer.

Depends where you sit. Front row you get soaked. Back rows you get a nice splash in the face. I always bring a change of clothes for the water rides, but last year for whatever reason, went on in regular clothes. Got the front row...big mistake! And I never get front when I'm already soaked from Dudley and Popeye

I noticed that the emptier the body is, the more likely you are getting wet wherever you sit. I think that though a lighter boat creates less of a splash, it does increase the amount of water that will get in the boat.

I noticed that the emptier the body is, the more likely you are getting wet wherever you sit. I think that though a lighter boat creates less of a splash, it does increase the amount of water that will get in the boat.

The distribution of the weight also has an affect, if more weight in the front the greater chances of getting wet.

The distribution of the weight also has an affect, if more weight in the front the greater chances of getting wet.

Bingo! That's always been the case when I've ridden it. I usually aim for the back to avoid getting super wet, but even when I do ride in the back, I get soaked if there's lots of weight in the front (like a row of heavy people, or just more people in the front vs. the back). SKLOOSH!

On a side note, I just rode Hollywood's version of JPRA a few weeks ago...I never realized how much "extra" theming is on the Hollywood version (extra T-Rex at the top of the lift, the Velociraptor feeding paddock, the falling jeep, etc). And DAYAM, that thing got us WET! Soaked the whole dang boat!

Bingo! That's always been the case when I've ridden it. I usually aim for the back to avoid getting super wet, but even when I do ride in the back, I get soaked if there's lots of weight in the front (like a row of heavy people, or just more people in the front vs. the back). SKLOOSH!

On a side note, I just rode Hollywood's version of JPRA a few weeks ago...I never realized how much "extra" theming is on the Hollywood version (extra T-Rex at the top of the lift, the Velociraptor feeding paddock, the falling jeep, etc). And DAYAM, that thing got us WET! Soaked the whole dang boat!

Interesting thing about the LA one is...they can raise and lower the water depending on the temperature. During the winter months, its nice to know you can go on and barely get sprayed.

Interesting thing about the LA one is...they can raise and lower the water depending on the temperature. During the winter months, its nice to know you can go on and barely get sprayed.

Yeah, I saw a docu video that they do the same thing on the Grizzly water ride at DCA; play with the water levels based on seasons. I have never heard that about any water rides in Orlando.

That's pretty cool...I had no idea! I must've just gotten lucky and run into high water levels. We were DRENCHED.

Yeah, I saw a docu video that they do the same thing on the Grizzly water ride at DCA; play with the water levels based on seasons. I have never heard that about any water rides in Orlando.

That must be new at DCA. I got SOAKED on Grizzly on a really cold night. Luckily I was staying at GCH so I ran to my room after.. took all of 2 minutes to get there.

My mom rode it last week and said they got absolutely soaked... She's convinced they changed something.
I think Hollywood bragged at adding a bigger splash a few years ago.

My mom rode it last week and said they got absolutely soaked... She's convinced they changed something.
I think Hollywood bragged at adding a bigger splash a few years ago.

Like I said, it depends on the weather. It's been abnormaly warm for this time of year. I got USH almost every weekend during this time of the year, and I have yet to get drenched, especially during HHN.