Max (Streaming Service) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
lol

My god...Tom and Jerry film being number 2...its why I hate people...my god what low standards we humans have. I also hate that parents are like "its for kids" my god you have so many ways to entertain your kid and you go with some really bad movie?

But like... it is for kids...

Kids don't care how bad it is. It may not be a good movie for adults to also enjoy, but if it keeps the kids attention in this day and age - bless its heart. It's not like there's a lot of other options out there anyway....

I have HBO Max, I was a Tom and Jerry fan back in the day so I thought I’d give it a try. While I agree that the animation was great, the biggest issue was the fact that neither of the main characters speak. This works fine for the short form cat chasing mouse cartoons, but it made the movie awkward since almost all the other animated characters spoke. Loved the many throwback gesture and screams from them during their chases, but the plot was nonexistent and you could have inserted any other characters in that movie. While it had their names on it, there was nothing about it that really related directly to them.

I don't understand the hate for tom and jerry. It's a kids movie, it is not meant to be some beautifully written masterpiece. Watched it with my kid last night as we have a free HBO trial, he enjoyed it and that is what matters as he is the target audience. For me the movie is just what I expected, a easy to watch movie with your normal cartoon antics. Would I have gone to a theater to so this? Nope, probably wouldn't have rented it either (not that rentals are really a thing anymore).
Sure it’s a kids movie, but the way it was made, it just seems like it was made for the least common denominator and assumes kids are stupid. Sort of the opposite of Pixar.

Sure it’s a kids movie, but the way it was made, it just seems like it was made for the least common denominator and assumes kids are stupid. Sort of the opposite of Pixar.
Agreed. We know what good and bad kids' movies look like, regardless of what the opinions of humans without self-selection mechanisms might tell us. But, I might be wrong. Call me in ten years when the nostalgia cycle for Tom and Jerry (2021) hits for Generation Alpha.

EDIT:
deleted due to possible clickbait

Last edited:
I have HBO Max, I was a Tom and Jerry fan back in the day so I thought I’d give it a try. While I agree that the animation was great, the biggest issue was the fact that neither of the main characters speak. This works fine for the short form cat chasing mouse cartoons, but it made the movie awkward since almost all the other animated characters spoke. Loved the many throwback gesture and screams from them during their chases, but the plot was nonexistent and you could have inserted any other characters in that movie. While it had their names on it, there was nothing about it that really related directly to them.

We already had a movie where Tom and Jerry talk. Fans overwhelmingly hated it.

We already had a movie where Tom and Jerry talk. Fans overwhelmingly hated it.
I think Tom & Jerry is just an IP that doesn't make for a good movie :shrug:

It's awkward if they talk, but if they act like they do in the cartoons and are silent, then you are reliant on a human cast that literally no one cares about and lots of stupid, awkward humor. A major plot point that sort of kicks off this movie is literally about how Chloe Grace-Moretz's character steals a woman's resume so that she can use it herself for the job, because that's apparently a great thing to teach kids.

It's just not a good movie and filled with wasted potential in the cast too. A cast that's filled with Comedic wit is given nothing to work with in a movie that's supposedly a comedy.

But like... it is for kids...

Kids don't care how bad it is. It may not be a good movie for adults to also enjoy, but if it keeps the kids attention in this day and age - bless its heart. It's not like there's a lot of other options out there anyway....
Looks at entire library of Disney Plus of quality Animated films and TVs.....I'm good.

I had no idea when I was really young that Jungle book, Snow white and Aladdin were all from different times because they were all so great. Kids will watch anything so no reason to give them crap when you can show them on HBO now Batman the Animated series (its new to them since they didn't grow up in 90s), Batman Beyond, Superman, Justice League, Young Justice.

I'll just never get why parents take kids to like norm of the north when you have Pixar, Disney, studio ghibli and half of Dreamworks for films along with year of classic great animated shows. Its not like its limited or hard to get them good things to watch.

Do you have kids? Cuz if not, there's probably why you don't get it....
I don't and but once was a kid and for sure my parents denied me seeing the Power Rangers Movie in theaters because they knew how bad it would be (they were right) so it can be done and your kids will grow up if you don't let them watch every crappy movie made.

If thats the kinda movie people want to be made...then cool support them I do not. So I support the good family films like Shrek, kung fu Panda, Toy Story...etc. I just don't get if kids will watch anything why they would resist great films made for them.

I don't and but once was a kid and for sure my parents denied me seeing the Power Rangers Movie in theaters because they knew how bad it would be (they were right) so it can be done and your kids will grow up if you don't let them watch every crappy movie made.

If thats the kinda movie people want to be made...then cool support them I do not. So I support the good family films like Shrek, kung fu Panda, Toy Story...etc. I just don't get if kids will watch anything why they would resist great films made for them.

What even... :lol:

I don't know, dude. I guess you're the extreme exception. All I know is I'm at the age where most of my friends have kids and have spent a lot of time with my nephews. When they wanna watch Daniel Tiger for the 1000th time, you let them. It's just not worth the fight. The same goes for all movies. They'll watch anything that interests them - no matter how bad it is. It's a cat and mouse fighting each other.... Easy sell for kids.

And I know most people with experience with kids will agree on that one.

What even... :lol:

I don't know, dude. I guess you're the extreme exception. All I know is I'm at the age where most of my friends have kids and have spent a lot of time with my nephews. When they wanna watch Daniel Tiger for the 1000th time, you let them. It's just not worth the fight. The same goes for all movies. They'll watch anything that interests them - no matter how bad it is. It's a cat and mouse fighting each other.... Easy sell for kids.

And I know most people with experience with kids will agree on that one.
Just let kids watch what they want. If they like Ghibli great, but they'll turn out fine regardless. And don't believe any of the crap about certain shows ruining kids' brains.

You gotta understand (since you don't have kids) Kids like what they like, kind of like adults do too. My daughter for example LOVED Tom and Jerry, but does not like any of the "good family fun" movies you listed. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It's not as simple as you think and it's not anyone resisting anything, it's parents being good to their kids and letting them enjoy what they like, instead of limiting them to a certain list of things like you are suggesting.

Reactions: Legacy

Do you mean the mid 90s Power Rangers movie? Cause that was fantastic and had a surprisingly good soundtrack.

Turned it on expecting to hate-watch it, but this childless Gen Xer is actually gonna knight up for Tom & Jerry. Took me 5 or 10 minutes to get into the universe the movie inhabits, but once I did, there's nice little nods throughout. End of the day, it's a zany screwball comedy, a throwback to the 30s and 40s when these shorts were first made, but with cartoons organically mixed in.

Is it fluffy? Of course. But it's ok sometimes for animation just to make you laugh for 90 minutes instead of being a tear-jerker meditation on becoming a parent or facing your own mortality.

Reactions: awhen
This was announced in mid-November, but I just saw it now - Conan will be coming to an end in June, meaning Conan O'Brien will be absent from late night for the first time in 28 years. He had his contract restructed however and instead of doing a show for TBS (also owned by AT&T), he will now be switching to do a once a week variety show on HBO Max. As a fan of Conan, this is exciting. He's the last truly great late night host on the air imo. David Letterman has a show with Netflix, which I suppose counts, though. Letterman and Conan have always been absolute geniuses in their field.

Reactions: awhen and n i c k
Warner investing $500B in HYBE (who owns BigHit Music, which BTS is signed too) for what basically boils down to BTS concerts, documentaries, etc. Now obviously there's other artists signed to this label, but I checked, and most aren't of note. The only worthwhile artists are BTS and then members of BTS as soloists. Again, I don't deny the hype of BTS, but $500B is a lot of money.

EDIT: it's 500B SK won which equals $443,445,250M US. So I guess that's more reasonable and probably a sound enough investment since they will provide consistent content.

Last edited:
Soooo, Warner isn't telling people HBO Max numbers at all anymore. They've decided that they're going to report on HBO and HBO Max COMBINED numbers and count them as one. So by combining them, they get 44.2M and a small gain of 2.7M from not just HBO Max, but HBO *and* HBO Max this past quarter. To me, this tells me they are embarrassed by the current performance of HBO Max and the day & date release risk on HBO Max is not paying off with the subscriber numbers that they probably hoped for.

I mean theaters are open again

I'm seeing these films on the big screen if I can. HBO just doesn't have shows I care about they had GOT and watchmen was cool (but only one season)

Waiting for them to bring something interesting to the service.