Max (Streaming Service) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So Thursday will be interesting as it’s rumored that WB Discovery will finally announce a merger of their two streaming services, but the real interesting bit is that supposedly the merger will merge HBO Max into Discovery+ and not vice versa. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: Nico and SeventyOne
So Thursday will be interesting as it’s rumored that WB Discovery will finally announce a merger of their two streaming services, but the real interesting bit is that supposedly the merger will merge HBO Max into Discovery+ and not vice versa. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I don't know about from a name/prestige perspective, but as far as the tech is concerned, I hope that's the case. The HBOMax app on my AppleTV continues to be frustratingly horrible, even after their recent upgrades.

Reactions: Nico
Placing bets on names. I’m still going with WB Discovery+ with an in app highlight of HBO.

Hahahahaha oh wow they're making ALL the mistakes because of their egos. WOW.

Shareholders should sue. Zaslav spent a year-long press tour allaying fears that he'll cheap out on WBD's scripted content and destroy its brand with creatives and then immediately proved to be worse than most of his critics feared.

Clever move trapping Casey Bloys in a five year deal before you destroy his content budget though, that's a smart play.

Yeah the more I hear about this the worst it seems

I hope the bad press will force them to have to air some of the things they already have worked on and while I think things like the CNN app dying makes sense...no way Batgirl is bad enough not to be shown.

Even if they want to argue people are confused on why X Batman is in the film....just say its another universe like Joker

Yeah, i've also hear Zaslav wants more unscripted content and less scripted, but I thought that was the whole point of merging Discovery with WB? Discovery provides the unscripted stuff while WBP and HBO provide the scripted. I have no problem with killing off a show like The Flash (which will be in it's ninth season and barely anyone watches it), but to axe so many shows in development is worrisome.

Reactions: Nico
The only DC stuff safe right now is Black Adam, Shazam 2, and the independent universes of The Batman and Joker.

I said this in one of the other threads, but Zaslav supposedly wants to end the DCEU (assumedly with The Flash). He doesn't like trying to copy Marvel as the DCEU really hasn't worked as an actual Universe and DC Films has been better at telling independent stories. Aside from The Batman and Joker, even most films in the DCEU don't feel connected and are more like stand alone movies (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Suicide Squad, Shazam).

Reactions: SeventyOne
If they unrenew Hacks or Sex Lives of College Girls, I'm cancelling and not looking back....

Its becoming very evident Zaslav is about quantity not quality. Yes you can produce 10 reality shows for the same price of scripted as well as not have to pay royalties or fews to creators/crew since they are not unionized meaning large amounts of profit for the studio. However, I will point out not one dang service has put out a must see unscripted series. Truth based documentaries sure those are watched with Tiger King was the last doc that was a must see but never reality.

+

Here's hoping he's right!

He's the director and Executive Producer, so i'd hope he'd know, but then again, the people on the Scoob prequel and Batgirl had no warning. I have to assume he's made calls to assure that his show is safe though following that so hopefully. Rumors are that some old projects will continue forward simply to retain the relationships with the talent and crew (for example, so they don't lose James Gunn and he's still willing to work with them).

Reactions: SeventyOne
Well if Harley is going down, I guess Young Justice won’t get it’s finale season

F this new owner

There was a warning sign of a lot of the type of stuff he's doing now at the least earnings call. He said:

“I know we have the resources but we can plan on being careful and judicious,” Zaslav said. “As you’ve heard me say, we are not trying to win the direct-to-consumer spending war,” the WBD chief said, instead promising that the newly combined WarnerMedia-Discovery company would “invest in scale smartly.”

“Everything should be monetized,” Zaslav said. He plans to focus the company more tightly on “maximizing shareholder value” instead of the costly pursuit of subscriptions.

Remember, this is a guy who pulled the plug on CNN+ just days into his tenure after they spent $300M on it already. It shouldn't be surprising that he pulls the plug on Batgirl, Scoob, or the upcoming LeBron James Produced movie "House Party".

Zaslav has shown us the type of guy he is. He comes off as very Wall Street. He's looking for every penny. Even though he's throwing away money left and right, he sees it as saving money. He's going to use CNN+, Batgirl, Scoob, and House Party as tax write offs. Also, he looks at it from the perspective of how much he saved the company. CNN+ was planning to spend over $1B building up that service, so he sees that as a $700M+ savings. He sees Batgirl and all the other as savings from the perspective of he doesn't have to promote them and/or he can sell off movies in some cases (House Party being a prime example of a movie that could be sold off).

Also, what about all of the HBO Max original movies that are being wiped from the service? So far, “Moonshot” “Superintelligence” “The Witches” “An American Pickle” “Locked Down” “Charm City Kings” have all been taken off and what that does is allow them to vault them and potentially sell those some day. It really seems like Zas hates the entire Max side of HBO Max and his preferred service would be HBO Max (without the Max stuff) along with a crap ton of Property Brothers from his Discovery+ side.