Max (Streaming Service) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The remaining 5 episodes of the show "Industry" are being dropped on HBO Max this Friday while still continuing to roll out weekly on HBO. Not sure if this is an attempt to draw more viewers to HBO Max or just trying to generate some buzz for a series that hasn't really drawn much attention on HBO.

So... one has to think that with HBO Max’s announcement today that Roku has now gained EVEN MORE leverage than they previously had. Right? I mean, if Max isn’t available on the largest streaming platform, then this whole day and date release strategy falls apart.

HBO Max needs Roku more than Roku needs Max.

What makes me beg the question on this is quite simple: What *is* the 2021 release calendar now for WBP and HBOMax?

Matrix 4 got bumped up from the April 2022 date to somewhere in 2021. And there's a few films that have been waiting to be released from this year (including that of Into The Heights, Godzilla v. Kong, Mortal Kombat, and others). I'm interested to see when they announce the slate dates; as it shouldn't be far behind.

What makes me beg the question on this is quite simple: What *is* the 2021 release calendar now for WBP and HBOMax?

Matrix 4 got bumped up from the April 2022 date to somewhere in 2021. And there's a few films that have been waiting to be released from this year (including that of Into The Heights, Godzilla v. Kong, Mortal Kombat, and others). I'm interested to see when they announce the slate dates; as it shouldn't be far behind.
Here's the slate as it stands.

So HBO Max is waiting until Noon EST/9amPST to release WW84. I'm split on if that's a smart business decision but I think, given the nature of Christmas, it's probably actually good. I think they expect a lot of people to get HBO Max subscriptions for Christmas tomorrow and if you don't celebrate Christmas, it's still fine because you probably weren't going to watch it before then anyway.

Also, by releasing at a set time like that early in the day, it will honestly probably crash Max's servers for the first time since they've been launched and it will be free advertising as everyone will be tweeting about it and posting about it on Facebook (and giving reactions).

The downside is that the movie will instantly be available to pirate at roughly 12:01 :lol:

The downside is that the movie will instantly be available to pirate at roughly 12:01 :lol:

and there is the bigger issue, the pirating in the rest of the world where there is no HBO Max and most theaters are closed. It would be different if this was Disney+ which is available in many other places and where by they would drive global subscriptions.

Maybe they are counting on a more normal box office situation from mid 2021?

and there is the bigger issue, the pirating in the rest of the world where there is no HBO Max and most theaters are closed. It would be different if this was Disney+ which is available in many other places and where by they would drive global subscriptions.

Maybe they are counting on a more normal box office situation from mid 2021?
Orrrrrr they're not really that concerned with piracy. This is my suspicion, and has been for some time.

Reactions: Legacy
Orrrrrr they're not really that concerned with piracy. This is my suspicion, and has been for some time.
Based on everything being reported, they are extremely concerned about piracy with this movie with international theaters being closed and HBO Max not available outside of the US.

Based on everything being reported, they are extremely concerned about piracy with this movie with international theaters being closed and HBO Max not available outside of the US.
There’s been a lot of research done around this. Basically, if you make content very easy to get, people don’t need to feel the need to pirate it. Price matters some, but less than you’d think.

Look at music. It was the poster child for piracy in the 2000s. Spotify has made getting legal music so easy that music piracy isn’t really an issue anymore.

Same thing with video. WW84 piracy won’t be an issue as long as it’s easy to stream. HBO Max never made streaming that easy sadly.

There’s been a lot of research done around this. Basically, if you make content very easy to get, people don’t need to feel the need to pirate it. Price matters some, but less than you’d think.

Look at music. It was the poster child for piracy in the 2000s. Spotify has made getting legal music so easy that music piracy isn’t really an issue anymore.

Same thing with video. WW84 piracy won’t be an issue as long as it’s easy to stream. HBO Max never made streaming that easy sadly.
Yep.

People are generally willing to pay if it's legally available to stream as you mentioned. The problem is HBO Max is only available in the US. When Disney+ Launched in the US and Canada alone and those were the only two countries that were able to stream The Mandalorian legally, it became the single biggest piece of pirated content ever. WW84 many would think is bigger, so imo, this has the chance to beat out The Mandalorian as far as mass piracy issues.

Yep.

People are generally willing to pay if it's legally available to stream as you mentioned. The problem is HBO Max is only available in the US. When Disney+ Launched in the US and Canada alone and those were the only two countries that were able to stream The Mandalorian legally, it became the single biggest piece of pirated content ever. WW84 many would think is bigger, so imo, this has the chance to beat out The Mandalorian as far as mass piracy issues.
Again, not to be a broken record, it's not a big enough issue not to release it on HBO Max.

Again, not to be a broken record, it's not a big enough issue not to release it on HBO Max.
Sure, HBO Max will survive. That's not necessarily the point though.

This is a gigantic moment for HBO Max to gain subscribers and instead of having the infrastructure in place and set up so at least parts of Europe would be launching HBO Max by now so that they could use this moment to gain subscribers they will gain no subs outside of North America. I mean, hell, the service has been launched in the US since May and they still haven't expanded internationally at all. Instead, people internationally not only can't subscribe to HBO Max, but in a lot of cases, can't go to see it in theaters. They're basically losing their entire European market in the midst of this.

It's just a missed opportunity and if you think that this isn't just more proof of mismanagement at HBO Max, then idk what to tell you. The whole point of Day and Date release is to get more subscribers, but the only people that can subscribe are in the US.

I mean, I'll be honest. Why the Hell isn't Wonder Woman out at Midnight

I really don't get why it is being held back even until noon tomorrow. Mando was being released at 1AM and worked well, no clue why HBO thinks is needs to do something different.

I mean, I'll be honest. Why the Hell isn't Wonder Woman out at Midnight

I really don't get why it is being held back even until noon tomorrow. Mando was being released at 1AM and worked well, no clue why HBO thinks is needs to do something different.

Families will be going about for Christmas slow and steady. Additionally, makes sense to have it release during the lunch period.

Reactions: RevFreako