Max (Streaming Service) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There's really only one pitch for a Potter-related show that I'd be interested in -- the Marauders era, but with Severus Snape as the main character -- and I don't expect that's the direction HBO would go in.

I hope is only related but not too tied it...like Mando.

Let the creators make a good show

Also make a well written character and make them Trans just to upset JK.

• Haha
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
As long as it's not a remake. I'm sure Uni would be hyperventilating if suddenly there was a new version of the story to compete against the version in the land.

If they were to use the same actors as in the FJ queue, I would love a series about the founders!

Last edited:
Lol gotta love there being 0 actual information there. Just “WB wants to bring Potter to HBOMax”...which duh
There's really only one pitch for a Potter-related show that I'd be interested in -- the Marauders era, but with Severus Snape as the main character -- and I don't expect that's the direction HBO would go in.
I want a young Snape show with Adam Driver cast as Severus Snape. It's perfect casting and a no-brainer for a series imo.

As long as it's not a remake. I'm sure Uni would be hyperventilating if suddenly there was a new version of the story to compete against the version in the land.

If they were to use the same actors as in the FJ queue, I would love a series about the founders!
Agreed

I think a movie about the founders and a game of being one of the first students of Hogwarts would be great

Reactions: Tristan
No. More. Origin. Stories.

especially ones we’ve already seen all the important parts of
Fair enough. My extreme Potter fandom flamed out long ago.

I'm a casual at best now, even as someone who read all the books and saw every move. Fantastic Beasts ironically has been what has killed me caring about the franchise much outside of the parks anymore and I can't remember the last time I watched the Potter movies and frankly I don't even care anymore.

If they they give us something new, great, but it needs to be good and tbh, I don't trust Warner Brothers to figure out how to build a good Universe as they have shown that they don't know how to do it repeatedly, franchise after franchise.

Reactions: Tristan

I'm a casual at best now, even as someone who read all the books and saw every move. Fantastic Beasts ironically has been what has killed me caring about the franchise much outside of the parks anymore and I can't remember the last time I watched the Potter movies and frankly I don't even care anymore.

If they they give us something new, great, but it needs to be good and tbh, I don't trust Warner Brothers to figure out how to build a good Universe as they have shown that they don't know how to do it repeatedly, franchise after franchise.
All depends on the creative team.

HBO made a sequel to *WATCHMEN* that was the best thing I've seen on TV in a long time

Reactions: SeventyOne

I avoided the grief by not giving two hoots about FB. :rock:

All depends on the creative team.

HBO made a sequel to *WATCHMEN* that was the best thing I've seen on TV in a long time
Watchman was great. As was Joker. But those were more serious adaptations and outside of any respective Universe. For example, i'm expecting The Batman with Pattinson to be great, but that's not DCEU. I would be surprised though if James Gunn puts out a sub-par film with his The Suicide Squad, however.

So if WB wants to give us a Potter series more like Watchman that is more standalone than anything, maybe a little more dark, then that sounds great. But things like the DCEU (which has been mixed at best, only saving itself in recent years), the Fantastic Beasts films (it's notable to single these out because these are the ones JK Rowling wrote the script for, bypassing writing a book) and their Monsterverse hangs on how good GvK is.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I don't like the idea personally, and with things like this and the NYTimes Walter Hamada article, I really hope HBO Max doesn't just turn into "Disney+, but with Warner Bros properties!".

I don't like the idea personally, and with things like this and the NYTimes Walter Hamada article, I really hope HBO Max doesn't just turn into "Disney+, but with Warner Bros properties!".
HBO Max needs some of this genre/IP-focused programming, imo. I love their originals like Raised By Wolves, Lovecraft County and The Flight Attendant (along with the other stuff that you would normally expect from an HBO service). But for $15/month, HBO Max should be trying to be what Disney+ would be if both Disney+ and Hulu were integrated together. The Disney Bundle (which includes ESPN+) is currently $13/month. When you consider the value of the FX on Hulu shows and the genre fair like The Mandalorian and Marvel shows all on the same service, I feel like Disney+ and Hulu actually provide me with a lot more entertainment than HBO Max itself does.

Now, to be sure, HBO Max has an incredible and diverse library. I just don't think it can be justified to pay $15/month for the service without having different, cheaper tiered levels. $15/month should be the highest tier that offers 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, etc. But as of right now, NOTHING on HBO Max (WW84 is the only thing to be offered at 4K and it left today). There should be an option for a cheaper monthly payment with only one account profile and the bare minimum (which i'd argue they are currently providing) and then at the highest tier, you offer the multiple accounts, 4K, Dolby Vision, etc, etc.

To me, the service feels like it's about 85% of the way there, but they just put the HD versions of movies up there and called it a day and the pricing structure feels broken. If you're going to price yourself like Netflix, you have to offer quality at the level of Netflix. You also have to have a flow of new content. Netflix has a new movie every Friday this year. That's something the consumer can count on. With the other streamers, it's more of a waiting game for the next big thing.

Watchman was great. As was Joker. But those were more serious adaptations and outside of any respective Universe. For example, i'm expecting The Batman with Pattinson to be great, but that's not DCEU. I would be surprised though if James Gunn puts out a sub-par film with his The Suicide Squad, however.

So if WB wants to give us a Potter series more like Watchman that is more standalone than anything, maybe a little more dark, then that sounds great. But things like the DCEU (which has been mixed at best, only saving itself in recent years), the Fantastic Beasts films (it's notable to single these out because these are the ones JK Rowling wrote the script for, bypassing writing a book) and their Monsterverse hangs on how good GvK is.
I don't think it needs to be dark

What Watchmen, and Mando have done right is while having some big characters show up and even be apart of some of it...the Focus is on the new people and they are interesting as F...

Watchman I heard I would like and man...if you don't like the opening for how dam invested you get into this world then I don't know what you want. All the new Characters and even Hooded Justice who we see a little of in the comic have such good story's to tell.

Thats what Potter needs to be....while in Fantastic Beasts you can argue Jacob and Newt are interest characters...they do not link to the main plot...villain or anything in the universe.
I hope they keep the first season small and about the story and characters...sure have an action scene each episode but lets not go over board....lets set up why you should care about something else besides Potter Fighting the literal forces of evil.

41 million subscribers to date. Doesn’t seem like Wonder Woman did that much. (Comparison Disney 80 million, Peacock 26 million)
Wonder Woman did a lot, actually. Last time the numbers were reported, HBOMax was barely above ESPN+ at only around 15M. The real question is if they can keep these subscribers, which I am highly doubting.

Disney has their investors meeting on February 12th I believe, so we should get some updated numbers then and with Soul and WandaVision, i'm expecting them to be beyond 100M and that's before they launch in Singapore on February 23rd and then South Korea, Hong Kong and an Eastern Europe rollout in mid 2021.

EDIT:
There's a GIANT asterisk besides those subscriber numbers. They are reporting HBO and HBO Max numbers combined together (only HBO Max had WW84). Also, what the hell is an "activated" subscriber? Does that mean that only 17.2M are only active users, or that 17.2M are freeloaders that have AT&T cable? Either way, the numbers aren't nearly as strong as they are trying to make them look.

Last edited:
Wonder Woman did a lot, actually. Last time the numbers were reported, HBOMax was barely above ESPN+ at only around 15M. The real question is if they can keep these subscribers, which I am highly doubting.

Disney has their investors meeting on February 12th I believe, so we should get some updated numbers then and with Soul and WandaVision, i'm expecting them to be beyond 100M and that's before they launch in Singapore on February 23rd and then South Korea, Hong Kong and an Eastern Europe rollout in mid 2021.

EDIT:
There's a GIANT asterisk besides those subscriber numbers. They are reporting HBO and HBO Max numbers combined together (only HBO Max had WW84). Also, what the hell is an "activated" subscriber? Does that mean that only 17.2M are only active users, or that 17.2M are freeloaders that have AT&T cable? Either way, the numbers aren't nearly as strong as they are trying to make them look.

HBOM reports subscribers as combined HBO Max and legacy HBO subscribers. "Activated" subscribers are all the people who actually have Max - both retail subscribers who buy it on its own and people who get it for free through Cable. Q3 had about 8.2m activated subscribers, so the 17.2m is actually a decent increase (of course, they really shouldn't be struggling to get legacy subscribers to convert to Max - literally the same service but with more free stuff - in the first place).

The overall subscriber count increased by only 4 million, so we can probably assume that's the number of new retail subscribers, with the other 5 million customers coming from legacy HBO.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick