Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '18: The First Purge

First Purge's sets look like Fright Fest. It's so -- bare. Can't see what everyone is getting hyped about.
I'll fully judge when I see it in the intended lighting and with sound and actors.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ they actually messed up bad. They may offend a lot of people.
Photos from this Article:
Jason Blum on HHN Mazes, Halloween Sequels, and More | Collider
Don’t want to see the full review article because we’re less than a week away from opening night, but I had to look at those pics.....Yikes.

It’s not quite as bad as having hoods over their heads, but who thought even hinting at representing the Krusty Komedic Klassic was a good idea for this maze!?

If this maze doesn’t get shut down from complaints, I don’t want to hear any excuses for not doing Get Out.

I mean, I said my piece when this was announced.

Those guns'll be gone by the second or third weekend. All it takes is a mass shooting, which (not to get political here but it's kinda unavoidable), is only a matter of time. It's like they learned nothing from last year's Purge incident, which was barely politically charged!

First Purge's sets look like Fright Fest. It's so -- bare. Can't see what everyone is getting hyped about.
I'll fully judge when I see it in the intended lighting and with sound and actors.

I mean, Maze-wise it just kinda looks like Silent Hill or the old Walking Dead mazes, and those looked beautiful under lighting. Plus, it seems they're still building it (look at all that plywood) so the set dressing probably isn't finished.

I mean, Maze-wise it just kinda looks like Silent Hill or the old Walking Dead mazes, and those looked beautiful under lighting. Plus, it seems they're still building it (look at all that plywood) so the set dressing probably isn't finished.
I feel like Murdy is treating this as a bit of a throwaway maze. Don’t want to look at the spoiler pics, but from what you’re describing, it sounds like they’re reusing a lot of props from TWD and using those brick walls. Sounds like a cheap maze putting the money in other places, which was exactly what I expected from the get-go.

I feel like Murdy is treating this as a bit of a throwaway maze. Don’t want to look at the spoiler pics, but from what you’re describing, it sounds like they’re reusing a lot of props from TWD and using those brick walls. Sounds like a cheap maze putting the money in other places, which was exactly what I expected from the get-go.

Yes there are brick walls, but that's not "everything," if that makes sense (I'm trying to be vague to avoid spoilers). Some of it looks genuinely nice, but it's pretty obvious from what we've seen that other mazes got the attention and money (ie Stranger things, TrT, UCM).

Still, I actually wouldn't necessarily call this maze a "throwaway," at least from the pictures shown here. It looks like there's been some thought put into it.

Yes there are brick walls, but that's not "everything," if that makes sense (I'm trying to be vague to avoid spoilers). Some of it looks genuinely nice, but it's pretty obvious from what we've seen that other mazes got the attention and money (ie Stranger things, TrT, UCM).

Still, I actually wouldn't necessarily call this maze a "throwaway," at least from the pictures shown here. It looks like there's been some thought put into it.

I'd agree. It's definitely on the cheaper side, but that's more a symptom of getting to reuse a lot of generic assets (brick/office walls). There's definitely a good amount of effort here and some stuff I wasn't expecting to see. I stand by that the gun business won't last long (and here's hoping the actors won't be given guns), but it looks like it could be a solid maze.

First Purge's sets look like Fright Fest. It's so -- bare.
^Well that is a very highly inaccurate thing to say about Fright Fest, and quite insulting towards their event which actually does't rely on black walls for every single maze. You really should go to Fright Fest because you wouldn't be saying their sets look "bare". They had more details in one maze than HHN did last year. This years 3 new mazes have a lot more immersive-ness than some of what HHN has shown off or done.

I feel like Murdy is treating this as a bit of a throwaway maze. it sounds like they’re reusing a lot of props from TWD and using those brick walls. Sounds like a cheap maze putting the money in other places, which was exactly what I expected from the get-go.
Soooo let me get this straight. You'll bitch about the mazes having solid black walls everywhere, but yet... when they reuse sets that fit with the setting and made minimal effort to actually make it seem like you're in a particular location rather than just using black walls again to be lazy.... you still complain? I'd rather see brick walls than plain black ones.

^Well that is a very highly inaccurate thing to say about Fright Fest, and quite insulting towards their event which actually does't rely on black walls for every single maze. You really should go to Fright Fest because you wouldn't be saying their sets look "bare". They had more details in one maze than HHN did last year. This years 3 new mazes have a lot more immersive-ness than some of what HHN has shown off or done.

Soooo let me get this straight. You'll bitch about the mazes having solid black walls everywhere, but yet... when they reuse sets that fit with the setting and made minimal effort to actually make it seem like you're in a particular location rather than just using black walls again to be lazy.... you still complain? I'd rather see brick walls than plain black ones.
is there any posts of yours that isn't criticizing the event or a user?

Fright Fest looks decent this year, but it doesn't look THAT good to compare to HHN and even it's best year ain't even as good as a cruddy KSF year. Even last year, their reviews were horrid. There are accounts of people being impressed by some set design or some interesting scare tactics, but the sum of its parts, it's still a trash event. No amount of details they put in matter if the actual manner it's pull off is horrid or if they have one good maze but the rest are abominations. I'm willing to try it again sometime in the near future, but the reviews have to be better than what they were even last year.

I've been to FF, granted 10 years ago, but also granted it was the worst Haunt I've ever been to, including home haunts and independent haunts. It deserves the disrespect for ever claiming it was a haunt and according to reviews, it may have gotten better, but it's still nowhere near the same league as everyone else. And I went into their marquee attraction that year, Brutal Planet, supposedly billed as the longest maze at a haunt or some crap, and I'd rather walk through a 15-second Camp Snoopy corn maze instead. I'd be absolutely stupid to willingly pay for that experience again within the same decade, they are still FAR from "good." Even if now they're "decent," that's not enough incentive to go. Who wants to go to a "decent," "okay," "at least it's better than it used to be" haunt? I barely like paying for KSF and skip that every other year and by many accounts, people even think that event is great. It is, sometimes, other times, not so much, but there's at least precedence that rolling the dice on going is worth it.

Fright Fest is trash. It sounds like an insult because it is. They'll get respect from the community when they earn it. No amount of "it seems promising" pictures or tall-tales is going to change that until the event has started. That's why I ain't putting high stock in WB or its fables either until I hear a bonafide review from a rational, unbias, and logical fan of these events. And HHN 2018 has a lot to prove after last year, but 8-9 out of the last 10 years have been A+ to -B- events, so they're held at a higher standard, so I'll willingly walk into that fog and pay even $100 if they ask me to, because they've earned the admiration.

Last edited: