Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Us

Extremely nervous about this maze. Not as exciting as everything else in the grand scheme of the lineup. The Promo art is literally the poster and where as the other announcement videos were filmed in person (Aside from Holidayz) this one is just a bunch of clips.

It was added late to the lineup and it started construction 3 weeks ago (The most late maze to start) so to me it's just super concerning.

To be honest, I don't think the movie lends itself that well for a house, and the fact it was a late addition doesn't give me much hope either, but hoping to be suprised.

Although I don’t like the movie very much, I think the maze could be good, definitely not at the top of my anticipated list but I love the set pieces in the movie and if they do them justice in the maze I’ll be happy

Reactions: DTH
The last announcement?

Two more mazes left.

__

Personally, I love the movie (think it's better than GO)..however, I am extremely concerned, more-so as this seems to be a late game addition than that of it being properly fleshed out. Really hope the turnaround is great, but I do have my concerns.

This is definitely one of the bigger IP's this year (right up there with Stranger Things and Ghostbusters), certainly from the relevancy and recent nature of the film. And I get the feeling that Us is going to be apart of the promo-campaign for both Hollywood and Orlando.

Last edited:
The sets lend perfectly, the scares... maybe not.

I'm sure they'll come up with enough scares to fill out the maze. Even if the movie wasn't very jump scare heavy, it wouldn't be hard to have a few Tethereds jump out of closets.

Two more mazes left.

__

Personally, I love the movie (think it's better than GO)..however, I am extremely concerned, more-so as this seems to be a late game addition than that of it being properly fleshed out. Really hope the turnaround is great, but I do have my concerns.

I mean, as long as Murdy took his time writing the maze (He locked it down at like, June? May?) then it shouldn't be an issue if they started late or not, since he took his time coming up with the ideas first, right?

While I thought the movie was okay, I don't exactly have high expectations for this house. I'm expecting a decent amount of black walls for something phoned-in this late in the game. But hey, I'd love to be wrong.

Yeah

I'm the opposite about this maze than everyone here. First off the movie has lots of fun sets especially the board walk maze, that's what i'm most excited about. Maybe some fake outside parts and maybe you see the boat from the film, the under ground with the rabbit cages and just like a Michael Myers Maze a house location.

The only thing that gives me pause here is the truncated turnaround, because the amount of material and content to work with is just insane. 100% my most anticipated house, and it's really not even close.
Mine as well, but I've been surprised in the past

Strangers Things last year was what I was most excited about but enjoyed the Blumhouse maze, alot more.....so who knows Creepshow could be my favorite even though I have almost no connection to it

Reactions: DTH
Yeah

I'm the opposite about this maze than everyone here. First off the movie has lots of fun sets especially the board walk maze, that's what i'm most excited about. Maybe some fake outside parts and maybe you see the boat from the film, the under ground with the rabbit cages and just like a Michael Myers Maze a house location.

100% agree with you- Us was my top horror film of the year so far and I think it lends itself really well to a maze. I know the film didn’t rely heavily on jumpscares (which was one reason I really loved it) but heck, all they’ll need are a bunch of tethered jumping out and *boom* done! There’s even some scenes where the scares seemed almost made for a maze, like when Pluto’s tethered breaks through a glass window that was behind a curtain- the glass shattering sound (without seeing any glass shattering lol) felt very much like a Murdy scare. Plus, one of the most pivotal settings in the movie is literally a haunted house type maze. As for the rest of the locations and scenes, settings like parts of the two houses and the underground lab lend themselves really easily to be recreated. That being said, I’m honestly more interested and hopeful that they’ll try to be more creative with this one. The idea of having two sets of people (human and tethered) would look really interesting, most notably the living room scene. Tbh i think it would totally be fine if the family sitting on the couch is all just prop dummies and the tethered are the actors in that scene.

Part of me's actually interested if Hollywood will have a certain..positive, because of the proximity towards props and costumes.

My hope, is that this might be as a The Thing situation (while I didn't get to experience 2011, I love all of the coverage with that maze) where they work directly with those in certain aspects.

For me, I'm sort of indifferent, but have kind of the tendency to lean towards this maze being executed well in regards to scares. Last year's Halloween 4 blew me away with how aggressive and claustrophobic the scares were, what with being in the Water World queue. Also, compared to the other Halloween mazes (2009, 2015, & 2016), it was not as detailed, in terms of environments, with having the most black walls out of all the past Halloween mazes. Despite this being constructed in a different location, H4 gave me hope that even minimalist mazes, in terms of set design, have the capability to be effectively scary, so as long as the scareactors have good direction and hit their marks. I have faith this maze could potentially be an underdog maze; not the scariest of this year, but at least exceeding many expectations.

I have a huge feeling that this could be the budget house of this year, meaning Black Walls galore. I’m sure it’ll be fun, the movie was good (although I thought Get Out was better) and full of material to work with. So far it’s not my least anticipated but it is around the bottom three in my anticipation ranking.

I have a huge feeling that this could be the budget house of this year, meaning Black Walls galore. I’m sure it’ll be fun, the movie was good (although I thought Get Out was better) and full of material to work with. So far it’s not my least anticipated but it is around the bottom three in my anticipation ranking.

I'd assume they'd make cuts to HoTC and Killer Klownz before they make cuts to Us. Biggest problem right now is just how fast they seem to be building it. Might leaves things unready by showtime.

I'd assume they'd make cuts to HoTC and Killer Klownz before they make cuts to Us. Biggest problem right now is just how fast they seem to be building it. Might leaves things unready by showtime.
Yep. Unless it was based on time constraints, there’s no way they’d skimp on this. It’s their own property, for starters, and I’m sure they want to keep all parties (including Jordan) happy. Secondly, it’s going to be highly anticipated (the social media reaction alone is currently crazy) and one of the centerpieces of their marketing. They wouldn’t under deliver. Hopefully.

If there’s a “budget house” this year, it’s easily Holidayz. Basically everything they need to orchestrate that maze is already in-house. Some money will go toward the facade and few interior set pieces, a little more to touch up the costumes and props, and that’s that.