HHN 31: Horrors of Blumhouse | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Horrors of Blumhouse

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Watched both films for the first time last night. I for sure enjoyed Freaky a lot more and can easily see how it lends itself to a house, slightly concerned for Black Phone but I will go into this house cautiously as I am also in the camp that the last Blumhouse really left me un-sold for future Horrors of Blumhouse installments.

Freaky is pretty straight forward. Mix of scares involving the adult Butcher and the body swapped female Butcher. A couple of kills and you’re good, plenty of environments to use.

The Black Phone is where they’ll need to get creative. I really liked the movie, but the frightening elements are largely contained in the basement and ground level of The Grabber’s residence. You have plenty of mask variation options and can also use some of the kids, but they may need to go a little surreal to get around the limited environments.

Freaky’s portion is definitely sorta predictable with the certain scenes Hollywoods using, I could see ours being similar, as Black Phone that’s the one I’m intrigued about, definitely gonna put some effects to good use in that portion.

This version could potentially be one of the more creepy (pardon the pun) of the Blumhouse houses

The costumes and masks alone are already giving me the creeps
Oh definitely I could see multiple dialogues and ghosts appearing but definitely more then likely would love to see The Grabber appear each time with each different masks possibly for each victim scare.

Scareactors:
The Grabber
Max
Vance

Static Figures and Dialogue:
Gwen
Finney
Robin (Ghost)
Bruce (Ghost)
Billy (Ghost)
Griffin
Grabber's dog (Effect)
Vance

Last edited:
I don’t know if that’s spoilers or not but please remember to use them when discussing a movie that just came out…

Definitely, caught another screening of it and the transition should be interesting from Freaky into it, the music score is really good.

Really hope they use the main title theme from The Black Phone.

Oh definitely the soundtrack was really good,
I could see the tracks Main Title, Abduction, The Grabber, The Grabber Awakes, The Grabber Takes His Time and Climax, they are all really good tracks that would be good in the section of the house.

Just saw The Black Phone yesterday - really good movie. I'm intrigued to see how they do the house.

The Grabber shouting "HANG UP THE PHONE" will undoubtedly be a jump scare

I'm curious to see if they use live actors for the kids. I feel like there's gotta be an adult out there somewhere that could pass as Finney.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
Just saw The Black Phone yesterday - really good movie. I'm intrigued to see how they do the house.

I just watched it too and I thought it was surprisingly good. Much like others have said, though, I think Universal will have to get creative in order to avoid having the whole house feel too similar. There are some variations they could do with the scares. It might have to involve showing us scenes from different angles.

They could use the staircase, the bathroom, the bed, and the wall with the phone as separate pieces, but after that they might have to break it up a bit. Maybe some cheap jump scares where you walk by the freezer and the kid is rattling the door. Or they can use the Super 8 style dream sequences that end with the ghosts of the kids startling you. Maybe use a scene with the van at night where the headlights or the engine surprises you. But they definitely need the creepy voices on the phone and the Grabber with the balloons.

I mean it could be here and there, seeing how we've been having facades somewhat in Shrek, it might be a bit different or a bit similar in FATF, lets hope at least they give it a little more effort.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Just watched Freaky and Black Phone back-to-back.

Freaky was a lotta fun. Definitely expecting to see a lotta those kills, the golf course, and of course the first ever Vincent Vaughn scare.

Black Phone... No words. Absolutely fantastic movie.
Although it does raise the question of what that section of the house will be. I guess different variations of the basement with The Grabber jumping out, ala Exorcist or the HDD section from 2018's Blumhouse?

Anyway, long and short of it is that with Freaky, as much as I enjoyed it, this was on the lower end of my anticipation list. Black Phone just shot it near the top.

So The Black Phone was great. As far as translation into a haunt.

I think there will be some creative liberties. The bulk will obviously be in the basement though, which I could see the Graveyard Games ghost hallway effect being used as a transition so the basement doesn't feel as repetitive. Maybe going through the living room with the brother's Pepe Silvia board as you "escape" before the Grabber brings you back to the basement. The Grabber having different "moods" for a mask should also help.