HHN Orlando Codenames | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Orlando Codenames

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 15, 2015
Obviously this isn't the most important topic, but I'd figure it'd be fun to compile all the little Codenames for the houses in one thread.

I'm going to list what I remember, then others can chip in.

• Frankenstein: "Squarehead"
    • Frankenstein has a square head.
  • Dracula: "Fangs"
    • Dracula has and uses fangs.
  • Wolfman: "New"
    • The maze was based off the NEW Wolfman film.
  • LITC / Spawning: "Magazine"
    • These mazes were "sponsored" by horror magazine, Fangoria.
  • Saw: "Blade"
    • As in SawBlade.
  • Chucky: "Doll"
    • Chucky is a living doll.
  • SS: "Usher"
    • Silver Screams was the house for The Usher icon.
  • Catacombs: "Spy"
    • Connecting the look of Plague Doctors with the Spies from Spy vs Spy, I believe.
  • AWIL: "Trinity"
    • 2013 was the 3rd and successful attempt in a Trinity (2008, 2012, 2013) to get AWIL to the event.
  • TWD: "TWD"
    • Announced so early at the time it didn't really need a secretive Codename.
  • Scrapped Original: "Ritual"
    • Supposedly was focused on a storyline with a Ritual gone wrong invoking LT and "things under the bed".
  • AVP: "Evac"
    • A professional reference to "Get To The Choppa"?
  • Dracula Untold: "Synergy"
    • Stating what the house was, an attempt at synergy to make people see the Untold film.
  • Halloween: "Captain"
    • The Michael Myers mask was a redone William Shatner mask. Shatner played Captain Kirk on Star Trek.
  • Roanoke: "Crows"
    • Subtle reference to Croatoan?
  • Dollhouse: "Charlie"
    • Referred to a performer called Charlie who used dolls. Can't remember his exact name.
  • G&G Inc: "Smile"
    • A clown's favorite facial expression.
2015:
  • FvJ: "Round Two"
    • The maze was the Round Two to the movie's Round 1.
  • Insidious: "Beyond"
    • The Further is Beyond our world.
  • TWD: "Dinner"
    • What zombies make people into.
  • Scream (Scrapped): "Reboot"
    • Referring to the MTV reboot? Even though this was the original films.
  • AWIL: "Harry" or "Hairy"
    • Harry refers to Harry Potter of London.
    • Hairy refers to the fact werewolves are hairy.
  • Jack: "Dynasty" or "History"
    • Jack Presents explores the Dynasty and History of HHN Orlando.
  • BC: "Blizzard"
    • Maze takes place in the Blizzard of 1899.
  • RUN: "Spandex"
    • Referring to attire worn by participants in the original Running Man.
  • AiW3D: "Party"
    • Referring to the Tea Party scene.
2016:
  • TCM: "Meathead" / "Meat"
    • Meat is the motive for the Sawyer Family to do their killings, some would say they're Meatheads.
  • Exorcist: "Bed"
    • Referring to Regan's bed, which we see many times in the maze.
  • TWD: "Uncle"
    • As in Cry Uncle, surrender and admit defeat. The A&D team's feelings on the repeated use of Walking Dead.
  • Halloween 2: "Pumpkin"
    • Pumpkins are an iconic part of Halloween theming. More specifically referring to the skull pumpkin on Halloween 2's poster.
  • Krampus: "Schnapps"
    • Referring to the alcoholic drink the Aunt drinks in the film.
  • AHS: "King"
    • A&D saw it as a "crown jewel" IP.
  • Ghost Town: "Mustang"
    • Not quite sure.
  • LP3D: "Abba"
    • Referring to ABBA's "Take A Chance On Me".
  • TOTA: "Cobweb"
    • TOTA was about heading into a tomb where the "cobwebs" were being dusted off to unleash the ancient beasts of the past. I think.
2017:
  • AHS: "Checkmate"
    • Connected to the "King" Codename. Checkmate is to take / keep possession of the King. HHN kept possession of the King AHS.
  • Shining: "Gold"
    • Gold Shines. Also probably a reference to the Gold Room of the Overlook.
  • AvED: "ED"
    • ED = Evil Dead.
  • Saw: "Buzz"
    • As in BuzzSaw.
  • Blumhouse: "Numb"
    • A&D's feelings regarding this maze concept.
  • HIVE: "Hive"
    • The name of the house. Being a late addition means it didn't get a "thought-out" Codename.
  • Scarecrow: "Brains"
    • The Scarecrow's desire in Wizard Of Oz was to get a Brain.
  • Dead Waters: "Paddle"
    • Referring to the Paddleboat in the maze.
  • The Fallen: "Crater"
    • Referring to the Crater to Hell the Fallen are climbing out of.
2018:
  • Stranger Things: "Fireball"
    • A DnD reference, DnD being used in Stranger Things I believe to name the different happenings and monsters around the town.
  • Dead Exposure - Patient Zero: "Zero"
    • Zero as in "Patient Zero", the first zombie in zombie apocalypse stories and the subtitle.
  • Trick R Treat: "Dynamite"
    • A letter switch on the AC/DC song TNT...but it's TrT instead.
    • And obviously a way to trick fools like yours truly into thinking The Thing was coming.
  • Slaughter Sinema: "Snacks"
    • Snacks are what you get to accompany a movie viewing experience, and a snack bar room seems to be opening the house from what was said in articles released about it.
  • Carnival Graveyard - Rust In Pieces: "Ragtag"
    • Referring to the very nature of the maze's concept and layout as well as a carny band in the maze referred to as "The Ragtags".
  • Seeds Of Extinction: "Meteor"
    • Referring to the meteor in the backstory which kills the human life on Earth.
  • Poltergeist: "Coach"
    • There was some connection with an actor that escapes my mind.
  • Halloween 4: "Feature"
    • It's one of the three "Feature Presentation" IP's this year.
  • Blumhouse 2.0: "Surprise"
    • Two interpretations: Either referring to a birthday "surprise!" meaning a reference to Death Day.
    • Or an honest or sarcastic use of "Surprise" referring to this maze concept's return.
  • Scary Tales - DEA: "Poison"
    • Referring to the Poison Apple of the Evil Queen...whom was the antagonist of the last Scary Tales maze? That's what immediately came to mind.

Last edited:
it would be neat to post the explanations behind the codenames

also the 2009 codenames was Doll, squarehead, hairy, magazine, screen, new, blade, fangs and usher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kichkinet85
Have updated this with 2018's codenames and explanations (Need help on a few) and finally got TOTA's in after my dumbness finally remembered it.

Does anyone know if houses like IT or The Conjuring were given codenames based on their stages of development? I know Conjuring was a fully completed house so there likely was a codename but with IT they were in the R&D process so idk if they had even started a treatment

Wasn’t The Shining “Checkmate”? Because they had finally cornered the King? I remember that being the explanation at the time

I noticed the codenames ended at 2018 so I thought I added an update to 2019 and 2021 but anyone knows the rest of 31s codenames feel free to throw them in as well.

------------
Dog - ST
Pit - Nightingales: BP
Onyx - UM
Pressure - DOF
Jerky - Yeti
Hysteria - GB
Cotton - KKFOS
Salt - GG
Chicken - HOTC

----------
Blender - PTCA
Fridge - Beetlejuice
Freezer - HOHH
Coffee - UM:TBOF
Griddle - TCM
Pantry - Icons
Toaster - Tooth Fairy
Sink - Scarey
Boil - Case Files
Oven - WG

---------
Bubbles - Coven

For posterity's sake, I figure people who would read this thread would be interested to know that 2019 had two sets of Codenames. One was listed above, but the other was based on sports similar to the Food-based names from 30. I remember Soccer as one, but I couldn't connect it to any specific house by memory if you asked me. If anyone has the list I'd love to see it again.