HHN: What does it for you - Poll | Inside Universal Forums

HHN: What does it for you - Poll

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What's most important to you in a HHN house?

• Quietly creepy, great story, no scares

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Lots of scares, jumping out

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • High tech effects and sounds

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Sets and props

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters
Oct 12, 2009
East Central Florida
Take your pick and post your detailed thoughts. Multiple choice accepted.

It will also help to know what about a house turns you off... what falls flat and ruins the experience. Share that too!

Last edited:
I would have to say the most important thing to me is the set and props followed by the scares. While I have thoroughly enjoyed multiple houses that had amazing sets, all of my favorites had the sets and the scares. I also feel like an over the top set increases your sense of imagination. I mean when I walked into All Nite Die In long ago. It was a roller coaster of emotions. To walk into the house from Halloween, then into Camp Crystal Lake, followed by the boiler room and finishing with the house from Texas chainsaw massacre it was just childhood fears come to life and it scared the crap out of me. It was an amazing experience and is a perfect reason why sets are IMO most important.

I haven't been yet, but I'm going for the first time this year. For me, I get a kick out of something so crazy and adult happening in a theme park.

BTW is there supposed to be a poll Teebin???

My dad and I love to go to the Halloween shops to pick up different props to accentuate our house. We usually get our ideas from HHN. Now with both of my brothers going with us to HHN this year, we will have more eyes on those sets and props to come up with a new way to scare the pants off of the neighborhood kids. Sets and props definitely!

A little bit of everything.

My favorite house from last year was In-Between, and I think it had everything on that list. The story was fantasic, the sets and props were surprising and detailed, there were plenty of scares, and the beginning had that ominous "what the hell is going on here".

I think each has its own place in a house.

Ok now that I answered the question correctly I updated my response.

Atmosphere and sets are what I like.
I do a lot of behind the scenes tours (not just the HHNs one) to get a look at houses with the lights on. Details and strong themes are the most memorable for me.

Not a fraidy cat...

I hate the artificial scareactor sounds!

For me it's lots of scares. For me Catacombs is my all-time favorite house because actors were constant and in my face. The sets were just rocks but I had never been so terrified in a house. My turn offs are when sets are the focus instead of better scares. Legendary Truth is the best example for me. The sets were fantastic but there were no good scares coming out. The chair was creative but outside of that I found the house to be boring. For me a house lives and dies on its scareactor placement and quality no matter the set.

For me, its the sets that really scare me. When I went to Halloween Horror Nights for my first year in 2002, the Screamhouse set terrified me. Granted I was only 8 years old, but the set was amazing. From the dilapidated but amazing facade, and the broken wooden walls. The sliding shelf of food always got me too. That was also the first time I had ever seen the mirror trick used. If I had to rank my top two, it would be Sets and Props then Quiet Creepy. I hope the sets this year are just as amazing as they were last year.

I think for a good house you have to have good Scares.
But I think the sets immerse you in the environment with the Good/Creepy Storyline and that makes the Scares all the better.

IMO HHN sets itself apart from other Haunts with its outstanding Sets and innovative Effects.
But really I haven't seen a HHN house without some amazing effects, or sets (only been in 2011). So what I think makes the best HHN house as compared to other HHN houses...is the scares. But what makes the best house in general is the Sets.

But I do like smaller (non-conga line) haunts like "A Petrified Forest" a small orlando-local haunt. The sets were ok...but I enjoyed the interaction with the actors very much. But at HHN you really don't ever get that level of "alone-ness" so HHN cant depend on its characters. Not that amazing sets are a bad thing.

The sets are what enhances the environment and the overall feel of the House. If the set is crap then that just ruins the entire experience. I went to my first haunted house last october and it was a low key kind of thing so it was no big thing like UOR but if it hadn't been for the fact that I had never been in one of these I wouldn't have been scared at all.

The attention to detail that goes into designing an event like this amazes me every time. I do enjoy good scares but I just like walking through and taking in the environment of the house/scarezone.

For me I prefer standing in long lines to get in and then being in a Congo Line Nothing as scary as that.....

Oh how I can't wait.

14739_100484783310733_100000476349268_10773_7198828_n.jpg