How to Train Your Dragon – Isle of Berk (Epic Universe) | Inside Universal Forums

How to Train Your Dragon – Isle of Berk (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People are seriously underestimating how beloved the HTTYD films are. It's always one of the ones that gets people the most excited when I tell them about this park and I think it's going to be the sleeper hit.
I hope none of those people are expecting a Dragons Flight of Passage or another similar kind of E Ticket. I can see the point in the promo video that can be easily misconstrued by the public as “you’ll fly on Dragons.”

People are seriously underestimating how beloved the HTTYD films are. It's always one of the ones that gets people the most excited when I tell them about this park and I think it's going to be the sleeper hit.
I think the land looks nice but every single person who I have talked to about this park offline over the last 5 Years has given some version of "What's That?" or "Huh never heard of it" when I tell them there will be a How To Train Your Dragon land in this park.

• Wow
Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
I think the land looks nice but every single person who I have talked to about this park offline over the last 5 Years has given some version of "What's That?" or "Huh never heard of it" when I tell them there will be a How To Train Your Dragon land in this park.
That honestly shocks me, do none of them have kids or been around kids. It is a well known IP around my circle of friends, but we all have kids. Many of our kids have even read the book series. This will be by far be my daughters and maybe my sons favorite land. Not sure if he will like Nintendo more.

That honestly shocks me, do none of them have kids or been around kids. It is a well known IP around my circle of friends, but we all have kids. Many of our kids have even read the book series. This will be by far be my daughters and maybe my sons favorite land. Not sure if he will like Nintendo more.
My circle is a mix of people who don't have kids (like myself), people who have pre-k age kids, and people whose kids are all grown and the response is the same amongst them all. I think if you didn't have kids in a certain age range at a certain time these films didn't really appear on your radar, compared to something like Minions which again no one I know has seen but everyone knows and recognizes.

Reactions: RFRees
Going solely by box office figures, it appears its appeal is stronger overseas than it is in North America. But the most recent film came out in 2019 and made half a billion dollars, which is in addition to its appearance in other media like streaming and books. My hunch is it's not the behemoth that Despicable Me (okay, Minions) is, but it's been consistently in the market for almost 15 years.

Going solely by box office figures, it appears its appeal is stronger overseas than it is in North America. But the most recent film came out in 2019 and made half a billion dollars, which is in addition to its appearance in other media like streaming and books. My hunch is it's not the behemoth that Despicable Me (okay, Minions) is, but it's been consistently in the market for almost 15 years.

A lot of people also sleep on the TV show which has been extremely popular with kids for 10+ years. It's on its 3rd version now.

20 yo. here, no shade.
IP is very well known, and appeals to our nostalgia factor. There’s also been like a billion shows as others pointed out…

I hope none of those people are expecting a Dragons Flight of Passage or another similar kind of E Ticket. I can see the point in the promo video that can be easily misconstrued by the public as “you’ll fly on Dragons.”
Yeah, they use the phrase "The ultimate wish fulfillment of flying dragons" in the promo, which I probably would have omitted in favor of something that doesn't give quite as direct an expectation of flying on dragons.

A lot of people also sleep on the TV show which has been extremely popular with kids for 10+ years. It's on its 3rd version now.
Agreed, it is popular with my 13 year old. But I did know about it before she liked HTTYD and dragons in general are super popular amongst kids. There is a ton of youth book series about dragons including the most famous Wings of Fire.

I know when I talk to college age kids, they mention that they look forward to HTTYD most-- and it's a shock to me every time. I saw trailers and was aware of HTTYD, but hadn't seen it until recently (because it was coming), but they all say they "grew up with it" and they love it...
Yes, it came out in 2010 so those in college would have been 5 to 10 when the movies first came out. My daughter got into them in 2015 I think but I knew of them even as an adult.

Reactions: GAcoaster
Soooo what you're saying is, they didn't rebuild Dueling Dragons in this land!? And last year's HHN house wasn't a prequel style teaser!?

I feel robbed of an EPIC experience... :sob:

It'll play well, even for those unfamiliar with the movie. The set theme is very universal, and generally very successful. Think Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Viking movies , etc. It's a winning theme, especially with the male side of the equation. The male answer to Disney Princesses. ...The girls will like it too. because it's going to be lots of FUN and FANTASY..

It'll play well, even for those unfamiliar with the movie. The set theme is very universal, and generally very successful. Think Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Viking movies , etc. It's a winning theme, especially with the male side of the equation. The male answer to Disney Princesses. ...The girls will like it too. because it's going to be lots of FUN and FANTASY..
It’s always interesting to me how “boy centric” franchises have far more potential for cross gender appeal than “girl centric” franchises.

Edit: like you said plenty of girls will find enjoyment in this land, but you’d be hard pressed to find boys having fun in Barbie or Hello Kitty land even though money wise those franchises dwarf Dragons.

Last edited: