Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To me, it shows that not only does Nintendo take the film very much in a serious way of finding what works, but that Illumination would be committed to working alongside Nintendo in a way that makes them happy.

To me, it makes me more excited, as while I don't hate them on their films as much as others, I do fully understand why people would be dissapointed and nervous. But, this should be a breath of air for hope, and I can't wait to see what Nintendo and Illumination do together.

Reactions: Mike S
If Illumination is taking a very long time to make sure the story is correct and not as ridiculous and cringy like most of their movies, then I have a positive feeling they're gonna get the movie right and not screw up. Nintendo really needs to keep an eye-check on Illumination that hopefully nothing painfully obvious is added in the movie. All I want is a good Mario Bros. movie and nothing added like pop songs or immature jokes. Nintendo's involvement in the process gave me a lot of hope for this project.

Reactions: Mike S
If Illumination is taking a very long time to make sure the story is correct and not as ridiculous and cringy like most of their movies, then I have a positive feeling they're gonna get the movie right and not screw up. Nintendo really needs to keep an eye-check on Illumination that hopefully nothing painfully obvious is added in the movie. All I want is a good Mario Bros. movie and nothing added like pop songs or immature jokes. Nintendo's involvement in the process gave me a lot of hope for this project.
Unless the song is “Jump Up Superstar!” I agree.

Reactions: Frogki
Since I didn't see this discussed today, the movie is still a go as of now...

Q11 Music from the Kirby game, Kirby: Planet Robobot, was recently released on iTunes. Are you planning to release any other soundtracks that are currently difficult to find and therefore carry a premium price? While the creation of new things is obviously important, I would also like to see you make better use of your IP and develop a business using some of your past work, including game music. Personally, I am looking forward to a Kirby animated series.

Miyamoto: Nintendo has taken another look at the content we own, especially since video games have been made more widely available for play on smart devices. Game music is one of the pillars of our content, so we released on iTunes some songs from Super Mario Odyssey, for example, for everyone to listen to. Regarding the topic of animation, which you mentioned, we are currently producing a film with Illumination, the studio behind Minions, the Despicable Me series, plus the recent films, Sing and The Secret Life of Pets. The producer on this project (Chris Meledandri) and I were introduced each other The 78th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders Nintendo Co., Ltd. 7 by our Universal Parks & Resorts connections. As we continued our discussions, I realized that our companies are very similar in how we think and create, so we agreed to create an animated film that uses Mario. Regarding future IP utilization, rather than simply licensing our IP to others, we are working on several initiatives to be a content owner, just like we are doing with this film production, and expand the usage of our IP to build a new axis of our business. I hope you will look forward to these initiatives

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Since I didn't see this discussed today, the movie is still a go as of now...

Q11 Music from the Kirby game, Kirby: Planet Robobot, was recently released on iTunes. Are you planning to release any other soundtracks that are currently difficult to find and therefore carry a premium price? While the creation of new things is obviously important, I would also like to see you make better use of your IP and develop a business using some of your past work, including game music. Personally, I am looking forward to a Kirby animated series.

Miyamoto: Nintendo has taken another look at the content we own, especially since video games have been made more widely available for play on smart devices. Game music is one of the pillars of our content, so we released on iTunes some songs from Super Mario Odyssey, for example, for everyone to listen to. Regarding the topic of animation, which you mentioned, we are currently producing a film with Illumination, the studio behind Minions, the Despicable Me series, plus the recent films, Sing and The Secret Life of Pets. The producer on this project (Chris Meledandri) and I were introduced each other The 78th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders Nintendo Co., Ltd. 7 by our Universal Parks & Resorts connections. As we continued our discussions, I realized that our companies are very similar in how we think and create, so we agreed to create an animated film that uses Mario. Regarding future IP utilization, rather than simply licensing our IP to others, we are working on several initiatives to be a content owner, just like we are doing with this film production, and expand the usage of our IP to build a new axis of our business. I hope you will look forward to these initiatives

Pardon me..but I think I called it when it came to that, Nintendo was introduced via UPR for the movie.

And so-far, loving the mentality they are doing for Mario.

So with Universal seeming to continue with choosing popstars to lead their animated film soundtracks with Pharrell Williams doing Despicable Me, Tyler the Creator leading The Grinch, Justin Timberlake with Trolls, which one do you think will get chosen for Mario?

So with Universal seeming to continue with choosing popstars to lead their animated film soundtracks with Pharrell Williams doing Despicable Me, Tyler the Creator leading The Grinch, Justin Timberlake with Trolls, which one do you think will get chosen for Mario?
Koji Kondo.

No trash stars, please.

Reactions: tankart150
I assume given Illumination's TR, Pharrell will have a track. But I do think we will see a joint composer, with 1 or 2 individuals from Nintendo & then bringing either Heitor, Joey, or DeSplat.

I think anyone looking at Illumination's prior output shouldn't expect the same for Mario. Mario is going to have way more influence from outside the studio.

at the end of the day, while I do see Nintendo having a good hand to steer direction of quality, and to ensure it's done right in a way that is highly enjoyable and fun, it will be an Illumination film in the end of the day.

I do think this film could be having a chance to..differentiate, from the norm. But I do think Illumination probably doesn't want to be held on like a child.

To be truthful, I'm curious to see if this is more like how Nintendo & Ubisoft collaborated on Mario+Rabbids, to do something unique with the Mario brand; that still works extremely well.

Reactions: tankart150