Is Pokémon replacing Spider-Man at USJ? | Inside Universal Forums

Is Pokémon replacing Spider-Man at USJ?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just don’t want this in Florida, it’s not that I wouldn’t like it, but 3 Spider-Man’s is far too much for one resort. It is a unique enough ride system that I don’t think it can be replicated often as it would diminish the other experiences.

But for Japan and Hollywood? Brilliant idea.

I think the Spider-Man ride system would lend itself perfectly to a Pokémon ride, but building a ride and not a fully realized land would be an extreme disservice to the IP and the interactivity it could offer. Fingers crossed that’s what they’re aiming for (don’t know what the plot of land is like at USJ)....

Quite frankly, if it’s 6-8 years down the line and they bring Pokémon to Islands to replace Spiderman and MSI, that’s cool with me too, especially considering they can’t really build anything new that’s Marvel anyway.

I think the Spider-Man ride system would lend itself perfectly to a Pokémon ride, but building a ride and not a fully realized land would be an extreme disservice to the IP and the interactivity it could offer. Fingers crossed that’s what they’re aiming for (don’t know what the plot of land is like at USJ)....

Quite frankly, if it’s 6-8 years down the line and they bring Pokémon to Islands to replace Spiderman and MSI, that’s cool with me too, especially considering they can’t really build anything new that’s Marvel anyway.

Assuming this goes to replace Spider-Man, I wonder if that actually means USJ will be ditching a portion of New York for that of a themed Pokemon city. Out of all the IP's I didn't expect a intense overlay on externally, I would think Pokemon would get more time.

Hmmmm. At first the idea for a Pokemon overlay for Spiderman seemed a little far-fetched, but after thinking about the possibilities, I could totally see it work. The story could be you enter Prof. Oak's lab (The queue line) and he wants you to help him track a Mewtwo. My knowledge of Pokemon has been a little stuck in the 90's so idk how relevant Mewtwo would be nowadays, but he can pull of stunts like lift the ride vehicle into mid-air like Doc-Ock did for its potential predecessor. I think it could make for a cool overlay.

Now for the other parks, I could definitely see USH pick this up. I really doubt they would build it from scratch when you have a similar ride as Spidey already in the park....right next from SNW. By the time this opens, Transformers will have reached the 15 year milestone; the point where Universal usually considers a replacement. While Transformers is a similar ride, it's not a copy+paste layout so I could see them make a modified version to fit that in there and have a Pokemon miniland. Now I think Spiderman is FAR superior to TF, but if Spidey can leave, Transformers certainly can, especially as it seems less and less relevant and the theming in there is fairly minimal and flexible for replacement.

Now where it would get tough for me would be Orlando. Ideally, I would love for UOR to leave Spiderman alone and give Transformers the Pokemon treatment. I do agree that adding a third EVAC ride would be too much for UOR. When you do think about the context of Spidey and MSHI, you do have to consider: UOR would probably like to stop paying those fees to Disney, they could easily, EASILY transform MSHI into Palettown or some city from the Poke-verse, they can't add anymore Marvel rides so I'm sure they would love to add Pokemon rides. If they go that route, Pokemon better be a far superior replacement to Spiderman. Also, with Zelda coming to IoA, that would be a lot of Nintendo presence for one park.

I think this would make an interesting overlay for Spidey, but I think they're going to wait how well the ride get received before they make any bold moves here.

Reactions: Nico
Hmmmm. At first the idea for a Pokemon overlay for Spiderman seemed a little far-fetched, but after thinking about the possibilities, I could totally see it work. The story could be you enter Prof. Oak's lab (The queue line) and he wants you to help him track a Mewtwo. My knowledge of Pokemon has been a little stuck in the 90's so idk how relevant Mewtwo would be nowadays, but he can pull of stunts like lift the ride vehicle into mid-air like Doc-Ock did for its potential predecessor. I think it could make for a cool overlay.

Now for the other parks, I could definitely see USH pick this up. I really doubt they would build it from scratch when you have a similar ride as Spidey already in the park....right next from SNW. By the time this opens, Transformers will have reached the 15 year milestone; the point where Universal usually considers a replacement. While Transformers is a similar ride, it's not a copy+paste layout so I could see them make a modified version to fit that in there and have a Pokemon miniland. Now I think Spiderman is FAR superior to TF, but if Spidey can leave, Transformers certainly can, especially as it seems less and less relevant and the theming in there is fairly minimal and flexible for replacement.

Now where it would get tough for me would be Orlando. Ideally, I would love for UOR to leave Spiderman alone and give Transformers the Pokemon treatment. I do agree that adding a third EVAC ride would be too much for UOR. When you do think about the context of Spidey and MSHI, you do have to consider: UOR would probably like to stop paying those fees to Disney, they could easily, EASILY transform MSHI into Palettown or some city from the Poke-verse, they can't add anymore Marvel rides so I'm sure they would love to add Pokemon rides. If they go that route, Pokemon better be a far superior replacement to Spiderman. Also, with Zelda coming to IoA, that would be a lot of Nintendo presence for one park.

I think this would make an interesting overlay for Spidey, but I think they're going to wait how well the ride get received before they make any bold moves here.

Mewtwo is still relevant. For instance, Detective Pikachu (Reynolds version) oriented on scientists manipulating that of Mewtwo to create a gas that would affect how Pokemon and humanity are together--and in the end, the human antagonist takes control of Mewtwo's body, trying to turn people into Pokemon. I can honestly buy a similar system working, where they create a story that is on helping restore humans from Pokemon states.

Outside of Pikachu, Eevee, and Charizard, Mewtwo is arguably one of the most iconic Pokemon from the early generations; so I can see them doing a ride with that. Especially if they use the AR as rumored in TPU's article as an add on for adding even more Pokemon.

Reactions: BriefCasey
If Pokemon and SNW are potentially gonna be next to eachother in Epic Universe, them being directly next to each other in USH (currently SNW and Transformers) would add to that synergy.

Frankly, I see some form of this article happening

Mewtwo is still relevant. For instance, Detective Pikachu (Reynolds version) oriented on scientists manipulating that of Mewtwo to create a gas that would affect how Pokemon and humanity are together--and in the end, the human antagonist takes control of Mewtwo's body, trying to turn people into Pokemon. I can honestly buy a similar system working, where they create a story that is on helping restore humans from Pokemon states.

Outside of Pikachu, Eevee, and Charizard, Mewtwo is arguably one of the most iconic Pokemon from the early generations; so I can see them doing a ride with that. Especially if they use the AR as rumored in TPU's article as an add on for adding even more Pokemon.

Pokemon is a weird IP because popularity of each Pokemon is regional based. In 2016, the Pokemon Company asked Japanese fans what their favorite pokemon was and this was the list:

1. Greninja
  2. Arceus
  3. Mew
  4. Pikachu
  5. Sylveon
  6. Charizard
  7. Genesect
  8. Rayquaza
  9. Meloetta
  10. Zygarde
  11. Mewtwo
  12. Eevee
  13. Jirachi
  14. Darkrai
  15. Lucario
  16. Diancie
  17. Hoopa
  18. Keldeo
  19. Victini
  20. Manaphy
  21. Reshiram
  22. Kyogre
  23. Kyurem
  24. Magnemite
  25. Shaymin
You ask the same question in the states, you will 100% different answers. Pokémon isn't Nintendo in which its easy to create an attraction for because everything from the professors, the region the land is based on, and more are so subjective.

If you build a land based on the Kanto region, then certain fans get mad and especially sensible in this case with Osaka being the inspiration for Johnto's region Goldenrod City.

Lastly, don't make rides based on Detective Pikachu's canon. While the film did well, it only made 27 million in the Japanese box office. For comparison: almost every single animated pokemon film did better than that in Japan.

You ask the same question in the states, you will 100% different answers. Pokémon isn't Nintendo in which its easy to create an attraction for because everything from the professors, the region the land is based on, and more are so subjective.

If you build a land based on the Kanto region, then certain fans get mad and especially sensible in this case with Osaka being the inspiration for Johnto's region Goldenrod City.

Lastly, don't make rides based on Detective Pikachu's canon. While the film did well, it only made 27 million in the Japanese box office. For comparison: almost every single animated pokemon film did better than that in Japan.

I was primarily using Detective Pikachu as that of an example of how they've used Mewtwo in the modern status. The key for Pokemon will be to make it universal and not just directly oriented to one side of that of the series. As you said--you alienate portions of the fanbase by doing so.

The only potential offset to this, could honestly be Ash due to his status as an icon for kids and adults over the 25 years. But outside of that, I'd imagine an original scenario written for Pokemon at the parks.

I will not be surprised if Mewtwo is not apart of the ride along with Team Rocket both just are easy to know even if you are not big into Pokemon

While for sureeee they will have new Pokemon the 151 from the 90s will have the most Pokemon in the ride/land. The Pokemon Company knows how to make money

Reactions: AnyNameYouWish
Just simply based on how much space is available in either park and how large of an IP Pokemon is, I’d be surprised if this doesn’t happen. The AR mixed in could be interesting also, if true.

How popular Marvel is in Japan may come into play. If it's not strong, there could be a replacement possibility........and I would guess Spider Man is safe at IOA. Marvel is tooooo big of an IP to mess with it, regardless of the strength of Pokemon or Nintendo. Universal could put Pokemon in a number of places in Orlando without jeopardizing an IP as strong as Marvel.

This seems very possible. Although I don’t think they’d ditch the New York area of USJ, especially considering the entire point of the Spider-Man version is that it’s budget friendly.

Pokemon is a weird IP because popularity of each Pokemon is regional based. In 2016, the Pokemon Company asked Japanese fans what their favorite pokemon was and this was the list:

1. Greninja
  2. Arceus
  3. Mew
  4. Pikachu
  5. Sylveon
  6. Charizard
  7. Genesect
  8. Rayquaza
  9. Meloetta
  10. Zygarde
  11. Mewtwo
  12. Eevee
  13. Jirachi
  14. Darkrai
  15. Lucario
  16. Diancie
  17. Hoopa
  18. Keldeo
  19. Victini
  20. Manaphy
  21. Reshiram
  22. Kyogre
  23. Kyurem
  24. Magnemite
  25. Shaymin

I was playing Pokemon with my little cousin this weekend and he pulled some Pokemon out that I had no idea who they were

I was like, maybe I'm just getting old

It will be interesting, should Pokemon become a ride/land someday, what Universal chooses to represent

I was playing Pokemon with my little cousin this weekend and he pulled some Pokemon out that I had no idea who they were

I was like, maybe I'm just getting old

It will be interesting, should Pokemon become a ride/land someday, what Universal chooses to represent
I imagine this is Nintendo/ the Pokemon company’s decision (not sure the exact name), not Universal’s, tbh.

This seems very possible. Although I don’t think they’d ditch the New York area of USJ, especially considering the entire point of the Spider-Man version is that it’s budget friendly.

See--I would argue that they would if they follow the Minion Park avenue--in the essence in that they made DMMM a much more properly self contained area, with shops and dining included alongside Minion Mayhem and Freeze Ray Sliders. I can honestly see a similar case here; to where the focus is on revitalizing the area around it, and reducing costs where they can with the ride system being slightly modified to allow AR.

I imagine this is Nintendo/ the Pokemon company’s decision (not sure the exact name), not Universal’s, tbh.

I'd imagine TPC will have direct say in what things will be done. I can't see them not being as involved as Miyamoto is on SNW and Illumination's Super Mario. But I do think Universal will have the ability to have their own say, thanks in part to that of Miyamoto.

I think a mixture of things will do better than specifically going into one mindset. Focus on a variety of Pokemon from across the generations (and not just one "specific"), orient more to the animated style of Ash, with the tones of Twilight Wings; and feature Pikachu as a mascot for that of the land. That seems like a good chord to do, especially if they make the Pokemon list diverse and varied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
How popular Marvel is in Japan may come into play. If it's not strong, there could be a replacement possibility........and I would guess Spider Man is safe at IOA. Marvel is tooooo big of an IP to mess with it, regardless of the strength of Pokemon or Nintendo. Universal could put Pokemon in a number of places in Orlando without jeopardizing an IP as strong as Marvel.
From what the article says, popularity is irrelevant since Marvel's Japan deal isn't like the Orlando one and Disney supposedly doesn't want to renew.

From what the article says, popularity is irrelevant since Marvel's Japan deal isn't like the Orlando one and Disney supposedly doesn't want to renew.

Mentioned this in the other thread when it had the discussion going on but...

Marvel rights are in perpetuity for all Resorts. The difference is they have to pay a yearly fee for USJ's usage.

Within 2 years after opening of THE MARVEL UNIVERSE in Orlando, MCA may retain its worldwide exclusivity for up to 5 additional years by designating another location where it intends to develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE as part of a theme park, and by paying an option fee of $*** per year.