Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is Starring Rolls Cafe Closing Forever Today?

Alicia

Premium Member
Jul 17, 2014
Orlando
Saw this last night: Starring Rolls Cafe at Hollywood Studios Closing Tomorrow - WDW News TodayWDW News Today

The Starring Rolls Cafe and Bakery at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will permanently close on Saturday, February 4th, 2017. No replacement has been named as of yet and there is no word on what will happen to the space.

I know they're not always the best to trust, so here's a few more:

NEWS: Disney Quietly Closing Another Hollywood Studios Fixture - DisneyLists.com

Walt Disney World’s Staring Rolls Café Closes Tomorrow – DisneyDining

Starring Rolls Cafe @ Disney's Hollywood Studios Closing

Th official Disney page for it shows no more hours listed for operation beginning tomorrow. Hours for today are listed, but no more beyond: Starring Rolls Cafe | Walt Disney World Resort

Supposed cast members on a FB group claim they've had official word that today's shift will be its last forever. And that some of its foods will be moved to other open locations throughout the park, most notably the Butterfinger Cupcake will go across the street to the Starbucks location.

So, if this is true, there are certainly more things closing than opening right now at DHS. The Writer's Stop recently closed and now this... not leaving any smaller relaxing places to chill.

I have to imagine they'll be doing something with that space. Even if it's just expanded seating for the Hollywood Brown Derby's lounge or something to that effect.
That'd be my guess. Or just more outdoor seating for things you buy next door at Sweet Spells or across the street at Starbucks.

I'm really not sure how people manage to spend significant time in this park.

I got to the park at 6:20 for an 8 closing tonight. I had a FP for ToT and RNRC and waited 10 mins stand-by for TSMM. Finished out by watching the galactic spectacular fireworks. Hell, we even met Moana just bc the line was so short.

Had I gotten there just an hour earlier, we easily would've been able to knock out Star Tours and GMR too. This park needs more than just TSL and SWL, similar to how DAK needs more than Pandora.

I'm really not sure how people manage to spend significant time in this park.

I got to the park at 6:20 for an 8 closing tonight. I had a FP for ToT and RNRC and waited 10 mins stand-by for TSMM. Finished out by watching the galactic spectacular fireworks. Hell, we even met Moana just bc the line was so short.

Had I gotten there just an hour earlier, we easily would've been able to knock out Star Tours and GMR too. This park needs more than just TSL and SWL, similar to how DAK needs more than Pandora.
I agree with this.I've been saying the same for a good while. They're admirable expansions, but they're really not increasing DHS attractions by much more than was there previously, though the quality of SWL will be a step up from what was in the park before. It will still be a park that's short of rides.

Talking to some on Twitter and it seems the store has some infrastructure issues that need to be fixed. Might be easier to either close or gut and build something new.

I never ate here so it wouldn't be a loss for me. My favorite thing was to get the Italian sausage sandwich from Dockside Diner but they changed the whole menu and discontinued it.

Is there anywhere else in WDW that sells the carrot cake cookies or was that just at Starring Rolls? I don't shop for sweets at WDW often so even as a local this is a mystery to me. Would be a shame to lose out on that snack though.

You can get the Carrot Cake Cookies at Sweet Spells. (And that was from The Writers Stop that closed a couple months ago.)

Okay, since I posted SWL and TSL pics in the other threads from DHS, might as well post this here too.

Got to see the closed down Starring Rolls Cafe this week. There were lots, and I mean, lots of confused guests walking over to the doors and trying to go in. There's no signage saying it's closed, and they left up the "Starring Rolls" signs. All there is is an A-frame telling people the Trolley Car Cafe has stuff with an arrow... But people can't find the Trolley Car Cafe because it doesn't have a sign on that side of the building that says Trolley Car Cafe, so they end up going to Sweet Spells instead. So, yea, kind of a mess currently.

I imagine things will smooth out once all the Starring Rolls signage comes down, and maybe they add an actual sign on the Sunset side of Trolley Car (other than just a temporary sandwich board.)

More pics and video: Hollywood Studios Update: Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land Construction and Starring Rolls Cafe Closed Forever – Orlando ParkStop

P1090605.jpg

P1090598.jpg

P1090601.jpg

P1090602.jpg

P1090603.jpg

P1090604.jpg

Many of the cupcakes and baked goods from Starring Rolls are available at Trolley Car, but none of the sandwiches or sushi are:

P1090592.jpg

P1090659.jpg

P1090655.jpg

Probably the best thing from Starring Rolls, the Butterfinger Cupcake, can be found here, but under a new name:
P1090653.jpg

From what i've heard, the purpose of closing Starring Rolls is to add another Quick Service option to DHS, which doesn't have one at the front of the park and is short on them in general. It was also thought redundant for Starring Rolls to co-exist with Starbucks across the way and slumping sales since the opening of the Starbucks only further gave them reason to make a change.

They should really take down the Starring Rolls sign and replace the umbrellas though to lessen the confusion.

From what i've heard, the purpose of closing Starring Rolls is to add another Quick Service option to DHS, which doesn't have one at the front of the park and is short on them in general. It was also thought redundant for Starring Rolls to co-exist with Starbucks across the way and slumping sales since the opening of the Starbucks only further gave them reason to make a change.

They should really take down the Starring Rolls sign and replace the umbrellas though to lessen the confusion.
I'm all for another quick service, but that place is tinyyyy inside. They only offered cold sandwiches and premade stuff cause it's just a broom closet.

I figured they closed it because Trolley Car offers similar items, is more popular, and handles lines better. And yea, they really need those signs down -or at least add a Closed sign on the doors, jeez.

I'm all for another quick service, but that place is tinyyyy inside. They only offered cold sandwiches and premade stuff cause it's just a broom closet.
I gather it would be a fairly extensive refurb to turn it into a QS. The lower patio where the seating currently is would likely be going away to extend the building.

I gather it would be a fairly extensive refurb to turn it into a QS. The lower patio where the seating currently is would likely be going away to extend the building.

That makes more sense. Thanks for the info!
I kinda wondered if they would merge it with the sweets shop building for a new quick service, but I guess they probably would have closed that at the same time if that were the plan.