Islands of Adventures "Not-so-Scary" Halloween party? | Inside Universal Forums

Islands of Adventures "Not-so-Scary" Halloween party?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 6, 2014
Rushmore Academy
I was thinking about this the other day and I was wondering could we see a kiddy halloween event at islands in the future with trick or treat stations and decorations at night? Islands is never used for HHN anymore and with all the money Disney makes from it's not so scary event, maybe this could happen. I don't know, would any of you guys go? I sure would

The real question isn't if people would go, its if people would go IN LIEU OF Halloween Horror Nights right next door.

The real question isn't if people would go, its if people would go IN LIEU OF Halloween Horror Nights right next door.

Never thought of that, I guess that would scare some people off. Maybe if it's heavily advertised as 2 different events and commercials would only be shown on family networks? Possibly signs all around city walk so nobody gets confused? There are ways to fix that. Oh I forgot to mention above there could be attraction overlays. Who would be down for a spooky Poseidon's fury?

I think a couple things stand in the way. One is the confusion issue--put up all the signs you want, people with kids will wander (possibly accidentally, possibly not) into the HHN event. And then bitch to customer service.

Also, MNSSHP is the 800-pound gorilla. HHN works because it actively courts a different crowd, still with no competition from the Mouse after 23 years. Even showcasing Potter, I'm not sure how many guests pulls on the Friday night before Halloween vs. MK.

IOA can't cater to Trick or treaters the way Mickeys does and there isn't nearly as much for little kids to do there vs the mouse.
SeaWorld does a kid friendly event as well, I can't see Uni investing in this when they already have a massive event that requires a lot of extra manpower.

IOA can't cater to Trick or treaters the way Mickeys does and there isn't nearly as much for little kids to do there vs the mouse.
SeaWorld does a kid friendly event as well, I can't see Uni investing in this when they already have a massive event that requires a lot of extra manpower.
You never know, cute Halloween decorations aren't very expensive and when you can use the same ones year after year they are worth the purchase. There are many places for trick or treating stations like near 1f2f and the Popeye water walkway. A special Halloween show in the toon lagoon or grinchmas theater and possibly a spooky trail for posiedons fury. Also maybe a costume contest with the marvel superheroes. I say it's worth a try because it could be a smash hit and add attendance numbers for IOA. It would also be awesome for us because of the shorter lines and we can go on rides like JP and Popeye at night

^I think what youre thinking of would work, but not as a hard ticket event. Cute decorations and some
holiday overlays during the regular operating day could be a good way to attract locals to the park during the day, and then head on over to HHN afterward...families with little kids could lose the stigma that Universal during the fall is adults-only. But I dont think people would ever pay separately for a family-event with HHN next door and Disney doing it bigger and better down the road.

^I think what youre thinking of would work, but not as a hard ticket event. Cute decorations and some
holiday overlays during the regular operating day could be a good way to attract locals to the park during the day, and then head on over to HHN afterward...families with little kids could lose the stigma that Universal during the fall is adults-only. But I dont think people would ever pay separately for a family-event with HHN next door and Disney doing it bigger and better down the road.

Daytime would be nice but it might work as a nighttime event if the price is cheaper than not so scary (isn't it like $99 a person or something?) they can really do a seaworld like event if they wanted to without the disgustingly weird abominations walking around (the costumed characters) I just want to see IOA at night again, looks so gorgeous :(

Go during Christmas time. It gets dark at 6, the parks are open until 10 or 11, and it gets cold so everyone leaves. Its actually pretty nice.

Go during Christmas time. It gets dark at 6, the parks are open until 10 or 11, and it gets cold so everyone leaves. Its actually pretty nice.
Seriously?!?! That's awesome I gotta try that out, thanks for the suggestion. Are the water rides closed though? I remember when I was younger I did all 3 water rides in the dark and they are all completely different rides at night especially Popeye and JP, I'd love to do that again

Seriously?!?! That's awesome I gotta try that out, thanks for the suggestion. Are the water rides closed though? I remember when I was younger I did all 3 water rides in the dark and they are all completely different rides at night especially Popeye and JP, I'd love to do that again

Typically not before Christmas...usually after New Years the water rides start going down for annual refurbs if Im not mistaken.

Typically not before Christmas...usually after New Years the water rides start going down for annual refurbs if Im not mistaken.
Yeah you are right, I'll definitely go then thanks for the advice!!! I was also thinking relating to the topic was HHN really that awesome at islands of adventure? I never went but I could only imagine areas like toon lagoon and marvel being too distinct for any serious theming unlike universal where New York could be anything, a real blank canvas

Toon lagoon was awesome when HHN was there. Honestly I think I spent more time in that area than doing the houses. Think soap rave party and it may give you an idea.

Marvel the first year was also pretty impressive. The fire towers were everywhere and looked quite ominous. To this day every time I ride dragon challenge I remember the fog covering the floor and the jets of fire erupting from marvel.

I think it's a great idea! What Universal could do to avoid the confusion issue is just be upfront about it. Have signs that LITERALLY say "For Kids and Family" and then another that says "Adults Only" and then have a brief description under each. Have TMs posted at both Entrances explaining/reminding guests of the age limits and stuff.
OR
Have the Kiddie stuff from 5-7 and keep the HHN at 7:00...or even 7:30. By this you'd have all kids that shouldn't be at HHN gone and the adults who do plan on going to HHN can just walk over next door.
Have Half IOA opened. Starting from Seuss, going through Potter, and ending at Toon Lagoon. There could be a small parade in Seuss, ghosts in Potter and Death Eaters walking about for Photo Ops, and A show in Toon Lagoon theater. There could even be a mini Minion Halloween Party in Port of Entry.

Toon lagoon was awesome when HHN was there. Honestly I think I spent more time in that area than doing the houses. Think soap rave party and it may give you an idea.

Marvel the first year was also pretty impressive. The fire towers were everywhere and looked quite ominous. To this day every time I ride dragon challenge I remember the fog covering the floor and the jets of fire erupting from marvel.
I saw the art of scare and toon lagoon stood out for me by looking admitably awesome but still the old toon lagoon I know and love. The theme is too specific to take any creative liberaties that why island under siege was made. I've always wanted to do islands at HHN so hopefully it'll happen one day so I can experience it

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's a great idea! What Universal could do to avoid the confusion issue is just be upfront about it. Have signs that LITERALLY say "For Kids and Family" and then another that says "Adults Only" and then have a brief description under each. Have TMs posted at both Entrances explaining/reminding guests of the age limits and stuff.
OR
Have the Kiddie stuff from 5-7 and keep the HHN at 7:00...or even 7:30. By this you'd have all kids that shouldn't be at HHN gone and the adults who do plan on going to HHN can just walk over next door.
Have Half IOA opened. Starting from Seuss, going through Potter, and ending at Toon Lagoon. There could be a small parade in Seuss, ghosts in Potter and Death Eaters walking about for Photo Ops, and A show in Toon Lagoon theater. There could even be a mini Minion Halloween Party in Port of Entry.

Or as Tyler said have it all day but special events like death eaters and minion dance parties at night as a exclusive thing. MK will stay until 12 at night for Halloween so it could be later. They are two separate parks so you never know

Yeah this will never work. You won't get the kids to go to IOA, there just is not enough rides to justify a separate ticket event. They totally could do a free event to draw more locals to the park, that is what Sea World and Legoland do and both parks are way busier during those events than they normally would be in October.

Yeah this will never work. You won't get the kids to go to IOA, there just is not enough rides to justify a separate ticket event. They totally could do a free event to draw more locals to the park, that is what Sea World and Legoland do and both parks are way busier during those events than they normally would be in October.
This. A daytime trick-or-treat event would fit perfectly at IOA with all the different themed lands. Never been to LEGOLand for Halloween, but SeaWorld does a phenomenal job. It's free and the kids love it! The park itself was also busier than usual for that time of the year because of Spooktacular. I would love to see something similar at IOA.