Journey to Atlantis | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Journey to Atlantis

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't know what's been worked on recently but the lighting in several scenes looked great at least when I was there a few weeks ago. The music-only overlay the entire ride doesn't cut it if you've experienced the earlier version of the ride though.

Without the special effects relating to the story being a distraction of sorts I got to really appreciate the scenic work done on this ride. There's no reason it wouldn't sit in a top 10 list of dark rides in Orlando if it was restored back to its original state as much as possible, even if it's a water coaster. I hope they're able to bring some of that back eventually.

I don't know what's been worked on recently but the lighting in several scenes looked great at least when I was there a few weeks ago. The music-only overlay the entire ride doesn't cut it if you've experienced the earlier version of the ride though.

Without the special effects relating to the story being a distraction of sorts I got to really appreciate the scenic work done on this ride. There's no reason it wouldn't sit in a top 10 list of dark rides in Orlando if it was restored back to its original state as much as possible, even if it's a water coaster. I hope they're able to bring some of that back eventually.
924834A1-973B-4DEC-ABFA-55FE2E54709C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1AAABCD9-4FC4-4F39-BC7D-6379F79B7839.jpeg
    1AAABCD9-4FC4-4F39-BC7D-6379F79B7839.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 12

I will say 2 of my 3 kids like the ride. The one that doesn't, doesn't really count as she hates all water rides. But none of the 3 understand what the ride is about. They just like it has a drop and a coaster portion.

^ I'm happy we have this version in Orlando mostly in tact and not like the ones in the other SW parks.

If someone's never experienced the old version what's there now isn't bad but maybe a little confusing. Since a number of years have passed between my previous ride and this year's it's a night and day difference. I got a new appreciation for story pacing considering how silent this ride is without it. The visual cues made a huge difference too.

I will say 2 of my 3 kids like the ride. The one that doesn't, doesn't really count as she hates all water rides. But none of the 3 understand what the ride is about. They just like it has a drop and a coaster portion.
Honestly if I didn't already experience this ride before I wouldn't be able to tell you what was going on either. It's still absolutely an enjoyable ride for sure!

It's also a great example of how a good ride should be: when cut down to the basics is it still fun?

Reactions: tankart150
^ I'm happy we have this version in Orlando mostly in tact and not like the ones in the other SW parks.

Orlando definitely has/had the best version of JTA in its original form, though I'd argue after all the downgrades and lack of maintenance the SWSD version is now my favorite. It's the only one that actually tells some sort of narrative, and was actually given an all-new story in 2019 along with a pretty substantial makeover and new effects (granted most of the new effects have since been removed lol but still). I'd definitely love to see the Orlando ride restored to its former self though.
Remember when the park was considering upgrading the facade to double as a set for a stunt show? Ah, those were the days.

Orlando definitely has/had the best version of JTA in its original form, though I'd argue after all the downgrades and lack of maintenance the SWSD version is now my favorite. It's the only one that actually tells some sort of narrative, and was actually given an all-new story in 2019 along with a pretty substantial makeover and new effects (granted most of the new effects have since been removed lol but still). I'd definitely love to see the Orlando ride restored to its former self though.
Remember when the park was considering upgrading the facade to double as a set for a stunt show? Ah, those were the days.
When/ what was the stunt show?