Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Justice League (2017/2021)

If you don’t like that one, maybe Variety will meet your requirements?

That's a November 26, 2019 article, just over a week after the stars had expressed their public support for it. The SnyderCut wasn't officially announced on May 20, 2020.

Also, from the article you linked, there's this line:

DC’s future won’t unfold entirely on the big screen. HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s upcoming streaming service, is currently looking for DC properties that could inspire films to premiere on its platform. It hopes to make DC adventures that have slightly lower budgets, requiring them to rely on up-and-coming actors and not established stars, with a goal of keeping production costs under $65 million.

The launch of HBO Max had inspired some hopes that Warner Bros. might allow Zack Snyder to release a director’s cut of “Justice League,” leading to a social media campaign dubbed #ReleaseTheSnyderCut. Snyder directed an earlier version of the ill-fated super-team movie and had planned to do some reshoots. However, after his daughter died, he was not able to complete production and was replaced by Joss Whedon, who injected a more light-hearted tone into the final film. Logistically, however, there’s little appetite at the studio for spending the millions of dollars it would require to finish visual effects and editing work on Snyder’s version, particularly as “Justice League” was a commercial disaster. There are currently no plans to release a Snyder version either in theaters or on HBO Max.
This stands pretty true to the ZSJL. It helped out the streaming service, while having a budget of $70M, which is pretty much right at the $65M cost the article talks about.

The article saying that the studio didn't want to spend the money on it and they had no plans is also not a lie. They didn't. Even when HBOMax first called up Snyder, the HBO Max execs wanted to just release his cut as-is, without spending an extra dime.

I really fail to see anything untrue in the article.

That's a November 26, 2019 article, just over a week after the stars had expressed their public support for it. The SnyderCut wasn't officially announced on May 20, 2020.

Also, from the article you linked, there's this line:

This stands pretty true to the ZSJL. It helped out the streaming service, while having a budget of $70M, which is pretty much right at the $65M cost the article talks about.

The article saying that the studio didn't want to spend the money on it and they had no plans is also not a lie. They didn't. Even when HBOMax first called up Snyder, the HBO Max execs wanted to just release his cut as-is, without spending an extra dime.

I really fail to see anything untrue in the article.

Logistically, however, there’s little appetite at the studio for spending the millions of dollars it would require to finish visual effects and editing work on Snyder’s version, particularly as “Justice League” was a commercial disaster. There are currently no plans to release a Snyder version either in theaters or on HBO Max.

“That’s a pipe dream,” said one knowledgeable insider. “There’s no way it’s ever happening. "

No plans, its not ever happening, not willing to spend money. From my view saying you aren't going to do it for years on end and then doing it is a lie.

That said the entire situation is fascinating and a very clear example of the studio taking advantage of a director and very visibly ruining a work.

That's what I'm finding most interesting too, especially the fallout from it. I'm hoping for a documentary one day.

Logistically, however, there’s little appetite at the studio for spending the millions of dollars it would require to finish visual effects and editing work on Snyder’s version, particularly as “Justice League” was a commercial disaster. There are currently no plans to release a Snyder version either in theaters or on HBO Max.

“That’s a pipe dream,” said one knowledgeable insider. “There’s no way it’s ever happening. "

No plans, its not ever happening, not willing to spend money. From my view saying you aren't going to do it for years on end and then doing it is a lie.
It's literally not a lie. Plans change, especially when a new streaming service enters the fray as an option.

Did they announce this version after saying it wasn't in the plans? Yes. But that's not a lie. That means plans changed because HBOMax allowed a platform for a freakin FOUR HOUR movie to be released on.

I just don't get why you seem to have a grudge and so focused on them "lying" since they let him finish his movie. So what if they said something different before. The movie exists now, enjoy it.

This article was after they announced HBO MAX, they said in several places including this article that it's not going to happen. And then it did. That's a lie. I'm not sure why you are so focused on saying it's not when it clearly is.

Now they are saying this is the end no more, restoring the Snyderverse isn't going to happen. Why anyone would take that at face value after years of saying the Snyder cut is never happening?

This article was after they announced HBO MAX, they said in several places including this article that it's not going to happen. And then it did. That's a lie. I'm not sure why you are so focused on saying it's not when it clearly is.

Now they are saying this is the end no more, restoring the Snyderverse isn't going to happen. Why anyone would take that at face value after years of saying the Snyder cut is never happening?
Plans change. Doesn't make it a lie. They are making a statement now that the Snyderverse is over. A few years down the road, could that change? Sure, but it doesn't make it a lie. It makes it a change in plans.

I think WB is being so definitive here because they don't want fans expecting anything from the Snyderverse going forward. If it happens it happens, but they want to basically shut the door on any expectations immediately.

As @Nick says; Thinking something is a lie due to a plan being changed =/= the truth.

I do think eventually, we are going to see a Graphic Novel series. But for now, theatrically; there is no sense to continue a universe in the state that it's in. And it'd better, to start fresh with new talent, execs, and to give time.

Plans change. Doesn't make it a lie. They are making a statement now that the Snyderverse is over. A few years down the road, could that change? Sure, but it doesn't make it a lie. It makes it a change in plans.

I think WB is being so definitive here because they don't want fans expecting anything from the Snyderverse going forward. If it happens it happens, but they want to basically shut the door on any expectations immediately.

Saying that you are never going to do something, and then going back on what you said and doing said thing makes the original statement a lie. I understand that you may see it as a change of plans, but it is still a lie, a false statement.

Saying that you are never going to do something, and then going back on what you said and doing said thing makes the original statement a lie. I understand that you may see it as a change of plans, but it is still a lie, a false statement.

:eek:O:

That's not a lie. In no way or shape, is that a lie to begin with.

Plans can change all the time. Does that mean the original plan previously laid out, is then a lie? What you are trying to say; is extremely contradictory. To add my two cents; I would argue--that if it werent for the Pandemic changing WarnerMedia's strategy, they would not of done the JL recut. They would've focused on other projects; especially as Snyder was working on Army of The Dead last year (and is releasing incredibly soon).

Kevin Feige once said in 2017 that he had no plans for the Fantastic Four to enter the MCU. Now we have a Fantastic Four MCU movie announced. Would you consider that a lie or plans that changed due to circumstances around him changing (the acquisition of Fox in Disney's case, the creation of HBOMax in WB's case for ZSJL)?

:eek:O:

That's not a lie. In no way or shape, is that a lie to begin with.

Plans can change all the time. Does that mean the original plan previously laid out, is then a lie? What you are trying to say; is extremely contradictory. To add my two cents; I would argue--that if it werent for the Pandemic changing WarnerMedia's strategy, they would not of done the JL recut. They would've focused on other projects; especially as Snyder was working on Army of The Dead last year (and is releasing incredibly soon).

Lie | Definition of Lie at Dictionary.com

Check out the third definition under noun.

That article shows a false statement....a lie. Was it true then? Probably, however now it is a lie.

Kevin Feige once said in 2017 that he had no plans for the Fantastic Four to enter the MCU. Now we have a Fantastic Four MCU movie announced. Would you consider that a lie or plans that changed due to circumstances around him changing (the creation of HBOMax in WB's case, the acquisition of Fox in Disney's case)?

See my previous post. It is considered a lie now.

I would say to just let him be, if he wants to believe Warner Brothers was lying about the Snyder Cut up to its release, just let him.

They had no intention of completing or releasing it until the pandemic ceased all studio production, a new streaming service came calling for content and a swell of support from both inside and outside the industry itself made it a viable option to finish and release the Snyder Cut.

Until those things came true, WB was not lying about having no desire for the Snyder Cut. To say otherwise is a little ridiculous. If I say I'll never eat ice cream again and I don't for 30 years until some new flavor is invented and I sample it, that doesn't mean I lied about never eating ice cream again, it just means that circumstances changed.

WB also did more than enough damage with how they actually treated Snyder originally in production of the film, you don't need extra ammunition that they 'lied' about the SC.

Some actual numbers (if they are to be believed as all streaming numbers are estimates), per Deadline:

The important parts from the article are below, but basically WW1984 saw 2.2M views in it's first weekend, ZSJL saw 1.8M and for comparison, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier saw 1.7M views. A view in this model is counted by at least 5 minutes watched.

The 1.8M for ZSJL is a bit of undercounting however as that's counting for the 19-21, but ZSJL debuted on the 18th, so a lot of views aren't counted in that total.
Samba TV reports that Zack Snyder’s Justice League drew 1.8M HBO Max households in its first five minutes over its premiere weekend of March 19-21.

That figure ranks behind the 2.2M U.S. households who watched Wonder Woman 1984 on the streamer over Dec. 25-27.

Interestingly enough, Samba TV found Zack Snyder’s Justice League besting the first weekend premiere of Disney+/Marvel’s The Falcon and the Winter Soldier which they clocked at 1.7M households. Disney+ released a statement yesterday claiming that Falcon and the Winter Soldier posted the most viewed weekend premiere ever on Disney+, and Samba TV’s data supported that.

So I was thinking, and I think that they could very easily focus on mainline DCEU while also do a Snyder-produced show at the least. The DCEU is it's own thing, but they could put something like a continuation of Snyders work he set up as a part of a "DC Elseworlds" saga. I'm far from someone carrying the Snyderverse torch, but I do think that if something is popular, HBO Max would be a bit foolish to not at least consider continuing in some way or another.

So, I finally watched the movie. For the record, I haven't actually seen the 2017 version of the movie yet, so these are literally just my opinions on this as a film without having another film in my mind to compare to. I never watched it (I heard the movie was pretty bad and besides, I hadn't seen MoS or BvS). I'll watch the Joss version tomorrow just to see the difference.

First off, the 4:3 aspect ratio didn't actually bother me pretty much at all. I thought the meat of this film (Parts 3 through 7) were really enjoyable. I'd be lying if I said the movie wasn't a bit of a chore to get through. I stopped quite a few time (even took a nap), before finishing. My main issue with this film is almost the opposite of most DCEU critiques and that's there was almost TOO MUCH character development. I don't mean that in a bad way. I appreciate what they did. Cyborg was a standout and Snyder really fleshed the character out, but I felt like there was an entire Cyborg movie that we could've/should've had before this so that all of that exposition wasn't needed.

Some of the things I didn't like was how it took about an hour or so for the movie to really get off it's feet and the epilogue (again, aside from the beginning with Cyborg) was a bit of a head scratcher in a lot of ways. I know the sequence with Joker was part of the reshoots and an entirely new scene and I just sort of felt like it was pointless as a scene and also, why put Joker in this movie for two seconds? I get he wanted to leave some loose ends I guess in case HBO Max came calling again, but this was, in his words, supposed to be the end of his story, but there was no feeling of finality to it.

Oh and Ezra Miller as Flash was wayyy out of his league with all of those other elite level actors. They should've never gone with him as Flash for the DCEU imo. Other than that, I was able to have fun with it. I didn't overly care for Steppenwolf or Darkseid though.

Doesn’t surprise me after hearing how many bot accounts they have

I have still never met anyone who wanted this cut, sure people like it now but no one really wanted it like the media made it out to be

Now can we get these bots to give us director cuts of all the MCU movies? Thanks