Kings Dominion | Inside Universal Forums

Kings Dominion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Glad I had a chance to ride it. Wasn't anything remarkable but I know it was a popular ride. Betchu they replace this with a B&M Invert akin to Banshee.

Maintenance. It only ran a short time at the beginning of the 2018 season and closed the rest of the year. It's been a maintenance & capacity nightmare for years. I'm sad it's leaving. It's another coaster I didn't get a chance to get a last ride on. It's Big Bad Wolf all over again.

As far as a replacement? Can they build a brand new B&M anything in the park? There has been talk of an exclusive agreement between BGW & B&M for as long as I can remember. That's why there are no custom made rides by B&M at Kings Dominion. Dominator was a transplant which would not have violated such an agreement. If there is an actual agreement, is there a time limit on such a thing? Who knows...23 years (if it were to open in 2020/Alpengeist opened in 1997) seems like a generous enough time frame IMO.

Intamin makes non-launched inverted coasters. Intamin non-launched coasters are very reliable compared to their launched coasters.

Vekoma has a new breed of SLC (STC=Suspended Thrill Coaster)...who knows.
upload_2019-2-9_3-40-1.png

No matter what they build, they are going to need to do something great with the Intamin launcher BGW is getting in 2020. Depending on if they are keeping the mountain or not, it may be 2021 before a replacement comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
That model (based on the POV) has a lot of potential for theming, unfortunately I doubt we see theming on Volcano’s level again anytime soon.

This is my favorite coaster from the park. The first time I rode it, it had the Italian Job theming.

This is my favorite coaster from the park. The first time I rode it, it had the Italian Job theming.

It's a fun ride (have it here at Kings Island obviously). I have been on the ride once when the lights were on in the "subway" section of the ride and that was pretty cool. The launch is surprising and the helices actually pull some g's. I wish that the coaster had more trees and maybe just retheme it a little. It feels too barren between the top of the helix columns and the stairwell section. It fit The Italian Job chase scene but could be modified now without losing anything.

Not big news but they are doing some pretty significant retracking of Grizzly. I couldn't tell if it was GG or GCI, although they mentioned on their blog that they will have an upcoming interview with the group doing the work soon. I have heard that Grizzly is pretty rough (haven't been on it since 1993) and so, if they can retrack like The Beast or add TitanTrack like on Predator or Wolverine, it seems that will be a huge win for the coaster.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Not big news but they are doing some pretty significant retracking of Grizzly. I couldn't tell if it was GG or GCI, although they mentioned on their blog that they will have an upcoming interview with the group doing the work soon. I have heard that Grizzly is pretty rough (haven't been on it since 1993) and so, if they can retrack like The Beast or add TitanTrack like on Predator or Wolverine, it seems that will be a huge win for the coaster.

Im guessing GCI

Reactions: SkiBum
One of the first "big" coasters I ever went on as a kid, and I loved it so much. Really would love to get back to KD and experience all those great memories again. Glad that they're re-tracking it and not just ditching the ride.

Not big news but they are doing some pretty significant retracking of Grizzly. I couldn't tell if it was GG or GCI,
Im guessing GCI

Talking with a friend who works at the park, the gut feeling is Gravity Group. While they can see either company doing the refurb, Gravity Group makes a lot of sense considering all the trackwork they've done at KI for The Racer and the Beast.

Reactions: SkiBum
Talking with a friend who works at the park, the gut feeling is Gravity Group. While they can see either company doing the refurb, Gravity Group makes a lot of sense considering all the trackwork they've done at KI for The Racer and the Beast.

I was thinking along those lines but also recognized that Cedar Fair was starting to use titan track on a few other coasters. I'm hopeful that we hear the answer from this week's IAAPA convention.