Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kraken Unleashed

If this really were to happen, then I guess this is the re-marketed attraction Manby was talking about. Only thing that bugs me is how fast they will be able to load the trains, Seaworld is already slow ...

If this really were to happen, then I guess this is the re-marketed attraction Manby was talking about. Only thing that bugs me is how fast they will be able to load the trains, Seaworld is already slow ...
Count on it taking twice as long and needing more staff. That's what happened at Six Flags over Georgia.

I like the idea of a Kraken themed VR to go with the ride. I hope if it does happen that it's well done. I also hope they learn from Six Flags use of them and figure out how to improve the loading process and make it faster.

Sounds like it isn't going to be provided by Samsung like at Six Flags. I know they have a partnership with Panasonic. Does Panasonic have a VR device? Some other Kraken related points are:
  • Riders will have the option of whether to use VR or not
  • The VR headsets will be attached to the coaster
  • Riders will hear music specifically composed for the ride
  • "Nothing you've seen from other parks."
  • More vehicles will be run and more team members present to compensate for slower load times
  • Queue will be updated

Sounds like it isn't going to be provided by Samsung like at Six Flags. I know they have a partnership with Panasonic. Does Panasonic have a VR device? Some other Kraken related points are:
  • Riders will have the option of whether to use VR or not
  • The VR headsets will be attached to the coaster
  • Riders will hear music specifically composed for the ride
  • "Nothing you've seen from other parks."
  • More vehicles will be run and more team members present to compensate for slower load times
  • Queue will be updated

I was upset originally about VR going to Kraken based on what others have experienced at other parks. But based on what they are saying they are going to do this correctly and won't have some of the issues. Attached to the coaster, extra coasters, and option of not doing it are all positives in my book.

I'm glad they addressed the concern about their ops upfront. It is NOT the most efficient.

Sounds like it isn't going to be provided by Samsung like at Six Flags. I know they have a partnership with Panasonic. Does Panasonic have a VR device?
Lol, replying to my own post.
Well Panasonic has been in development of their own VR headset for a while. The most recent articles I could find on it are from February 2015, but they had a prototype then, so they may be almost finished with a consumer reading product.

I'm glad they addressed the concern about their ops upfront. It is NOT the most efficient.

I noticed that most of the trains that were leaving recently were barely even a 1/3 full so it's taking more time than normal to dispatch.

Does SeaWorld have to pay for the headsets or do Samsung/Panasonic or whoever see this as great marketing and hand them to the parks for free for the publicity?

Ugh. Is anybody else already a little sick of all the VR hype? Granted, I've never been on a VR coaster before. But, there's such a ridiculous amount of attention + money being poured into building VR coasters.

I'm still convinced that, in a couple years, every single current VR coaster is going to be a really poor experience. Look at DisneyQuest.

Sounds like a good update; if they're adding new coaster trains maybe they'll replace them all, making a smoother ride.

I'm guessing this will be down for my trip in late May/ early June though? :(

Ugh. Is anybody else already a little sick of all the VR hype? Granted, I've never been on a VR coaster before. But, there's such a ridiculous amount of attention + money being poured into building VR coasters.

I'm still convinced that, in a couple years, every single current VR coaster is going to be a really poor experience. Look at DisneyQuest.

The 3DTVs of the coaster world.

Very glad that they'll be keeping the non-VR option. When I rode Kraken earlier this year, I remember thinking that it is just such a fun and dynamically interesting coaster, had a huge smile on my face all the way round. I genuinely prefer it to Manta (I've not been since Mako opening) as Seaworlds best ride.