Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Least Favorite HHN Houses

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Since this topic seems to be brought up with the Penn & Teller rumor...... :lol:

What are your least favorite houses?

My bottom 5:

5. Fear Factor
4. Cold Blind Terror
3. Disorientorium
2. Alice Cooper: Welcome to My Nightmare
1. Reflections of Fear

Last edited:
1 - Alice Cooper: Seriously, this house was GARBAGE
2 - Silent Hill: Complete waste of potential
3 - First Walking Dead House: Snoozeville
4 - Afterlife: Had high hopes for a second coming of In-Between, ended up with nothing close to that
5 - Penn & Teller: Another waste of talent

1 - Alice Cooper: Seriously, this house was GARBAGE
2 - Silent Hill: Complete waste of potential
3 - First Walking Dead House: Snoozeville
4 - Afterlife: Had high hopes for a second coming of In-Between, ended up with nothing close to that
5 - Penn & Teller: Another waste of talent

So.... HHN 22. :lol:

Man, I really wish you experienced HHN 18's icon house.... you wanna talk brutal.

I speak only speakfrom '01-present

Fear Factor: the Art of the Scare tells all.
Jungle of Doom: cool and ominous but not impressive.
Disorientorium: just cheap. Especially for a my favorite year.
Cold Blind Terror: ugh.
Saw: would've worked better as a scare zone.
Saws n Steam: yawn. And I enjoy shirtless men. Seemed like a 1/2 assed Havok meets Steampunk.
Silent Hill: full agreement - such a waste of potential.
Resident Evil: such a boring dump w some beautiful set pieces.

I've only gone the past two years, so I'll only give my least favorite from each year:

Giggles n Gore: Weak house with an unenergetic cast and minimal sets.
The Purge: A slap in the face. This isn't entirely A&D's fault but they could have done a lot better. There was no effort in hiding Scream and way too many strobes.

No particular order:

Cold, Blind Terror -- will never forget a lone scare-actor, in a barely decorated room, just pointing to the exit as wolves howled on the soundtrack

Blood Ruins -- I can't even remember much about this one, other than being disappointed after every walk-through; first of a few underwhelming colonial houses (Foresaken, Roanoke), that era just seems hard to make work

P&T New'kd Vegas -- when a 3-D house works better with the glasses off, it's a problem. When the jokes would've felt dated in an 1982 episode of The Love Boat, it's a problem. And that over-hyped ending completely under-delivered. Was a huge P&T fan, so disappointment probably clouds my judgment, but the only room I thought captured their "vibe" was the Seigfreid & Roy one (SARMOTI!!!)

Fear Factor -- Just lame.

Reflections of Fear -- another one where being overhyped probably hurt an otherwise mediocre house. Was the icon house, should've been better. Friday the 13th, also in Jaws queue, could have taken this slot as well.

Tho I had an odd personal affinity for it, surprised no one brought up People Under the Stairs yet. I thought conventional wisdom had it pegged as worst ever.

No particular order:

Cold, Blind Terror -- will never forget a lone scare-actor, in a barely decorated room, just pointing to the exit as wolves howled on the soundtrack

Blood Ruins -- I can't even remember much about this one, other than being disappointed after every walk-through; first of a few underwhelming colonial houses (Foresaken, Roanoke), that era just seems hard to make work

P&T New'kd Vegas -- when a 3-D house works better with the glasses off, it's a problem. When the jokes would've felt dated in an 1982 episode of The Love Boat, it's a problem. And that over-hyped ending completely under-delivered. Was a huge P&T fan, so disappointment probably clouds my judgment, but the only room I thought captured their "vibe" was the Seigfreid & Roy one (SARMOTI!!!)

Fear Factor -- Just lame.

Reflections of Fear -- another one where being overhyped probably hurt an otherwise mediocre house. Was the icon house, should've been better. Friday the 13th, also in Jaws queue, could have taken this slot as well.

Tho I had an odd personal affinity for it, surprised no one brought up People Under the Stairs yet. I thought conventional wisdom had it pegged as worst ever.
People under the Stairs: Under Construction? From 16? I didn't like it or Pyscho Path but I figured that was just me personally.

People under the Stairs: Under Construction? From 16? I didn't like it or Pyscho Path but I figured that was just me personally.

That's the one. IIRC Psycho Path got the "eh, wasn't as bad as it could've been" reviews, but PUTS was a trainwreck. By that point the IP was over a decade old and long forgotten, and the house was literally an unfinished set.

That's the one. IIRC Psycho Path got the "eh, wasn't as bad as it could've been" reviews, but PUTS was a trainwreck. By that point the IP was over a decade old and long forgotten, and the house was literally an unfinished set.
I remember it being insanely bright and just a lot a lot a lot of the same. Trying to use the helmets from Terror Mines.

Resident Evil: such a boring dump w some beautiful set pieces.

I remember seeing some clever gags on the backstage tour that I never saw staffed at night. And the one original gag--the Pause screen room--was ruined after a week by putting a scare-actor in there. But it always looked like it could've worked if fully staffed.

I've only been the last two years. But I have to go with Run - blood sweat and fears.

I may have just gotten a bad run but it was shocking. Basically no actors and the ones we did see did nothing

I've only been the last two years. But I have to go with Run - blood sweat and fears.

I may have just gotten a bad run but it was shocking. Basically no actors and the ones we did see did nothing
Run was a house that heavily depended on your timing. I caught most of the scares and thought it was a really good house but I can easily see why a lot didn't, especially with how short it was.

1. Roanoke: Cannibal Colony
2. RUN: Blood, Sweat, and Fears
3. The Walking Dead: The Living and The Dead
4. Urban Legends: La Llorona
5. Freddy vs. Jason

Gosh - I WISH those would be some of the worst for me.

I personally have fond memories of La Llorona.
It was decent I guess just nothing really stood out in it to me. It probably also didn't help that I knew nothing of the urban legend beforehand.

This thread is awesome!!!

I don't see the hate for Alice cooper. Might be because I'm a fanboy of his but I thought it did very well with its source material

The last walking dead house was the worst house I've ever been in. Redundant, forgettable and worst of all, boring as hell.

I also wasn't the biggest fan of the spawning, zombiegeddon, Dracula untold, resident evil and pretty much most of 22 for the same reasons.

Here's a fun one, I despised dollhouse of the dammed. Not because the house was awful, quite the opposite. It was seriously the scariest house I've ever been in and I don't even have a doll phobia. It grossed me out, got under my skin and made me clench on the back of my friend for dear life. One of the best houses I've ever been in, could never go through it again lol

It was decent I guess just nothing really stood out in it to me. It probably also didn't help that I knew nothing of the urban legend beforehand.

For me Orlando's La Larona was nice (Killer facade), but it wasn't on the level of Hollywood's versions of the theme. Hollywood's had a amazing sense of dread, not to mention far better endings and horse head La Larona's.

Here's a fun one, I despised dollhouse of the dammed. Not because the house was awful, quite the opposite. It was seriously the scariest house I've ever been in and I don't even have a doll phobia. It grossed me out, got under my skin and made me clench on the back of my friend for dear life. One of the best houses I've ever been in, could never go through it again lol

That would be a case of the "best worst", where it was the worst for you because it did it's job of creeping you the frick out. Which is totally understandable since DotD got under a lot of people's skin.